Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 13th November 2019, 09:08   #1
Pruts3r
Avid contributor

1999 Rover 75 Sterling - Pewter Grey - Aubergine Leather & 1985 Rover 3500 Vitesse - Targa Red

Default Water leaks in driver's side

Hi everybody!

I am back with the world's most troublesome 75. Yes, it is using coolant again if you were wondering.

But anyway. That not the question of the day:

A while ago I noticed drops of water coming from underneath the bonnet release switch in the car. At a moment the car wouldn't start because the BMW immobilizer got wet.

Plenums are moded and no water builds up there since the day I got the car.

So took everything apart underneath the dash and noticed a lot of water gets in when the car is standing parked in the rain.

Dried everything up. Wrapped the immobilizer unit in plastic and car works great (as far as great applies to this problem child).

We took off the front left wing and saw some places were the in inner wings/panels have smal gaps between them right underneath the corner of the window.
Took the garden hose and presto. Water pored in on the side from high up underneath the window (as far as you can see havin removed lightswitchcluster and everything else).

Closed and sealed everything up and garden hose again. Everything stayed dry now. Great. Looks fixed but I stayed cautious because I know this car never wants to get fixed in one go and today a good deal of rain came down so I thought I'd have a check (still haven't but everything underneath the dash back just so I can check if it worked).
Guess what. The metal was wet and drop can be seen on the side again (behind were the panel goes which holds the boot and bonnet releases).

Any suggestions were to look for leaks? I comes in when the car is parked and it stands in the rain. The corner mentioned befor is closed up for good. No water comes in from there anymore.

Any help is appreciated since I am losing it with the continuous endless problem car
•Born on Wednesday the 23rd of June 1999 @ 11:35:32
•The 6367th 75 to be produced.
•The 214th Pewter Grey 75 out of 442.
•Probably one of a handful Pewters with Aubergine.
Pruts3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th November 2019, 09:46   #2
vitesse
I really should get out more.......

Rover 75 Saloon

My driver's carpet got wet and after reading here fixed it by removing the windscreen wiper shroud and applying silicon to the scuttle clip holders and clips.

I noticed after rain that I had a pool on the far left of the windscreen shroud that couldn't drain away and that that scuttle clip was under water.

Arctic did a how to, which was then thanks to Photobucket wrecked -https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showpost.php?p=1055103&postcount=61

Good luck
vitesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th November 2019, 10:23   #3
Pruts3r
Avid contributor

1999 Rover 75 Sterling - Pewter Grey - Aubergine Leather & 1985 Rover 3500 Vitesse - Targa Red

So those are the black plastic things that jump out if you remove them? In the white sockets? We looked at those but the white sockets aren't open on the bottom. They are like little cups so I don't think water can pore trough there right? Or am I talking about the wrong thing?

Can't see the picture so that's why I ask.
•Born on Wednesday the 23rd of June 1999 @ 11:35:32
•The 6367th 75 to be produced.
•The 214th Pewter Grey 75 out of 442.
•Probably one of a handful Pewters with Aubergine.
Pruts3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th November 2019, 10:46   #4
Arctic
Give to Learn

Freelander 2

Thanked 6,407 Times in 3,874 Posts

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pruts3r View Post
So those are the black plastic things that jump out if you remove them? In the white sockets? We looked at those but the white sockets aren't open on the bottom. They are like little cups so I don't think water can pore trough there right? Or am I talking about the wrong thing?

Can't see the picture so that's why I ask.
The cup that the black clips fit into have a small gasket these can and will perish over time and allow water behind them. It is best to seal round them with silicone or remove them then add silicone seal, the water proof type also do you have a sunroof ?

ad altiora tendo.

Check out our Nano meet dates
http://www.midlandsnanomeets.co.uk/

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/index.php?thepage=howto

" You do the work , we supply the expertise "
Arctic is offline   Reply With Quote