Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Social Forums > Social Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 9th November 2019, 19:40   #1
Discofan
Loves to post

(Land)Rover Freelander 2

Default CCTV / Alarm system recommendations

Im looking advice on an alarm / cctv set up.
In the process of having a new bungalow and workshop built.
Its in an isolated rural location with only 1 other property down a lane maybe 1/4 mile long. Naturally I want security and peace of mind.
Just in the blockwork stage at the minute so any hard wiring can be done by the electrician as he does his thing.
Front / rear / side cameras of the house would be ideal as would the workshop covering front and side doors.
Im wondering would it be best to have a system that covers both, or a seperate one for the workshop which is about 25 meters from the house?

Any suggestions greatly received.
Discofan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th November 2019, 20:20   #2
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Thanked 3,032 Times in 2,181 Posts

things to consider
make sure the hard drive is stored securely so in the event of break in, it is not stolen.
check to see if you can install a larger hard drive and or plug in an external hard drive to extend recording retention.
How many days or weeks of recording do you want the system to hold? consider how long you are away on holiday.
Can the system message you if a camera fails or if set to motion detection if it detects something.
do you want to record sound?
camera position, infa red if the camera points parallel to a wall may bounce off the wall and blind the camera an night, headlights can blind the camera as can mist.
The more mega pixel the camera the better quality picture but more space on hard drive.
what is the range of the camera during the day and night? it wants to be able to read a registration plate.
make sure the system is good for night vision, the lack of light can let a system down
don't put a camera behind a window and have it pointing out, infa red will bounce off the glass at night and blind it

do not have your cctv picture constantly on view to yourself, it could make you paranoid.

macafee2
macafee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th November 2019, 23:26   #3
Gate Keeper
This is my second home

4X4

Thanked 7,017 Times in 4,160 Posts

The above photo was from a Swann WiFi CCTV system with infra red night vision I had set up at a house in North London. On that occasion, a neighbour had called the police to report I had drowned in the bath. The footage, I was able to view using a phone app. I would suggest going for an 8 channel system as it will allow you to add more cameras at a later date. Go for a system where the footage can be saved to the cloud - useful in case the equipment is stolen during a break in. The cameras I had installed were weatherproof and linked to a hard drive which recorded 24/7 for 6 months in high definition. The 4 cameras, drive and installation came to £399. I felt reassured having them up as they served as a visual deterrent.
Gate Keeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th November 2019, 23:38   #4
Gate Keeper
This is my second home

4X4

Regarding the photo, I was in bed recovering from post op abdominal surgery when the police arrived at the house. I didn’t hear the doorbell ring. 2 teams rushed in. One of them had a rather beautiful looking WPC carrying a defibrillator. She said it made a nice change not to find a stiff No harm done in the scheme of things.
Old 10th November 2019, 08:43   #5
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gate Keeper View Post
Regarding the photo, I was in bed recovering from post op abdominal surgery when the police arrived at the house. I didn’t hear the doorbell ring. 2 teams rushed in. One of them had a rather beautiful looking WPC carrying a defibrillator. She said it made a nice change not to find a stiff No harm done in the scheme of things.
did she look properly

macafee2
Old 10th November 2019, 08:51   #6
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Quote:

The above photo was from a Swann WiFi CCTV system with infra red night vision I had set up at a house in North London. On that occasion, a neighbour had called the police to report I had drowned in the bath. The footage, I was able to view using a phone app. I would suggest going for an 8 channel system as it will allow you to add more cameras at a later date. Go for a system where the footage can be saved to the cloud - useful in case the equipment is stolen during a break in. The cameras I had installed were weatherproof and linked to a hard drive which recorded 24/7 for 6 months in high definition. The 4 cameras, drive and installation came to £399. I felt reassured having them up as they served as a visual deterrent.

I have a swann system, not sure I would recommend it. Night vision at 60'ish feet is not good enough to get a good picture of someone, if you know them fine, if you don't I don't think you would recognise them in the street the next day. Can have a good crack in the day of reading a registration number. They do have 24/7 technical help desk and they are not too bad. No long waiting time for an answer when calling

macafee2
Old 10th November 2019, 12:46   #7
chillyphil
Gets stuck in

MGZT-T

Swann were very good, but there is a new generation of cctv and internet.

I have just installed Unique broadband, wifi and cctv, very impressed with the quality of both.

It's a bit more expensive than some, but it shows in the quality of picture, night vision and remote use.

They do wireless and wired, I have the wired system.

I also use a virgin business broadband conection, which reduces the bottleneck when viewing from abroad.

Before you make any decisions, I would chat to two different installers in your area.

Btw, I have no connection to any of these businesses, just a satisfied customer.
chillyphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th November 2019, 07:11   #8
Gate Keeper
This is my second home

4X4

Quote:
Originally Posted by macafee2 View Post
I have a swann system, not sure I would recommend it. Night vision at 60'ish feet is not good enough to get a good picture of someone, if you know them fine, if you don't I don't think you would recognise them in the street the next day. Can have a good crack in the day of reading a registration number. They do have 24/7 technical help desk and they are not too bad. No long waiting time for an answer when calling

macafee2
Looking at the bad points of the Swann system, it’s true that night vision is not brilliant, it’s not as good as daylight vision. The other thing we did not have, was email notification of anything suspicious. We were able to monitor the house from overseas using the phone app and the internet, a good point. Ethernet cabling from the hard drive to the router in the house was excessive in length and when I asked the installer to cut the cable to a more pleasant length, he refused citing how it would invalidate the warranty, a bad point. A friend bought a similar system on eBay from China for a fraction of the cost of the Swann system.
Old 11th November 2019, 21:53   #9
COLVERT
This is my second home

R75 Saloon.

Thanked 2,167 Times in 1,816 Posts

Quote:
WOW. I can understand the embarrassment it might have caused if she had found you stiff.----
COLVERT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th November 2019, 05:46   #10
Gate Keeper
This is my second home

4X4

Quote:
Originally Posted by COLVERT View Post
WOW. I can understand the embarrassment it might have caused if she had found you stiff.----
On a more serious note, I sympathise with the police who have to break in/force entry only to find the occupant has passed away or committed suicide.