Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Social Forums > Social Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 28th October 2019, 08:35   #421
FLYING BANANA
Moderator/Club Shop

MG ZT 1.8t+. No.3 of 4 in Sunspot Yellow & Ford Fiesta in Black.

Thanked 15,645 Times in 6,806 Posts
Cool I cannot believe how...........

..................................... many toilet rolls were used, good job I had bought some.

Every morning before we went out John, John Louis and I took Sapphire for a long walk. She had an operation on her back leg awhile ago so she can no longer chase after a ball, doesn’t stop picking up sticks though. There is a rugby/football pitch about a 10 minute walk away so that is where we went. There is no playground there but John Louis was happy to hold hands with John and me. A couple of times he took Sapphire’s lead.

So after her walk on Wednesday she had her breakfast and water and settled down on her bed for a snooze. We all made a fuss of her before we went out.
Today we was off to Polperro in the Landy. Polperro is just along from Looe. You park at the top of the town and either walk down or get the tram to the harbour. The trams are converted electric milk floats. Purpose built bodies on the back and can seat up to 10 people at a time. £2.40 return fare or £1.60 for a single. Children under 15 go free.

We walked down and rode back. We had tea and a pasty, well I had the longest sausage roll I have ever seen, but John and Lisa had a pasty each. John Louis had a scrumptious vanilla milkshake. We walked around the harbour on both sides and watched the fishing boats as they went out to sea. The sea was like a mill pond. We had yet again blue sky and warm sunshine.
After we got the tram back to the car park and collected the Landy we drove back to the American diner, Route 38, at Trelufoot for dinner. I just had the smallish rack of ribs with all the trimmings. John had the large ribs plus chicken wings. Lisa went for the Lasagna and John Louis had the chicken nuggets and chips off of the children’s menu.

Thursday saw us off again in the Landy to Plymouth. I took the Bears bridge tab with me so that John did not have to pay the toll fee as we left Cornwall to get back into England. Lisa has sussed out a car park overlooking the harbour on her phone map. £5.60 to park for 6 hours, not bad I suppose. We was halfway between the Barbican and the Ho. So off to the Ho first to see the war memorials.
We walked right across and down the other side where we found a playground with electric cars that you could ride on for £3 a go. So that was John Louis sorted out.

Then a ride on the train for just 50p. We had a cuppa why he rode around. Then we all played table tennis, yup there was an open air table with bats a ping pong wall supplied and was free.
Then we walked back along the sea wall to the Barbican. Once the fish market but now the warehouses have been turned into eating and drinking establishments with living accommodations above.
There is a pub at the end of the basin called the 3 Crowns so we had a pint and sat outside.

We wandered back to the car via the shops, past where they distill Plymouth Gin. Past the glass shop where I fell in love with the Poppy bowl. Might go back and buy that. But I didn’t. But I did buy a framed a Poppy picture in the antique shop. John Louis wanted an ice cream but was told no. Boy, can he sulk.
We drove back to the Toby Carvery at Roborugh for dinner and John Louis got his ice cream. Then it was home.

Friday and my visitors were going home. Sapphire had to forgo her walk as it was tipping it down but she done her business in the garden and John cleared it up. The Landy was loaded up with the cider they had bought, 3 cases of Rattler and 6x2 litre flagons of scrumpy plus the empty 5 litre bottle that I had bought on Tuesday. We drank that all on Tuesday evening, only 7.5 percent.
And with that they was gone.

For the last 5 years I have spent Christmas Day with them, and few days either side with my brother in law. But not this year, this year I want to spend Christmas and New Year in my new home. Just the once, maybe. John and Lisa said that I should. Not one for the turkey and the trimmings on the day, anything will do for me. Then a drive into Plymouth and park up on the Ho will suffice for me. Just something different.

I have no inclination to return to London or Barkingside. It feels like I have lived here all my life. I will go back in the New Year at some point.

So with my visitors gone started to sort the house out. Get the beds back into position. Breakdown the camp bed and get that back into it’s bag. Then I set about repairing the Z bed I broke. Had to replenish the soap dispenser in the bathroom, top up the toilet roll holder. Make a shopping list, we had gone through 3 loaves of bread.
The extras I had bought just for the visit I sent back with them as I would not be eating them. Cheerio’s, milk, butter and fizzy flavoured water.

I have vacuumed up enough dogs hairs to knit a jumper. The laminate floorings has had the steam mop over it. The carpets upstairs have all been cleaned, I said it was ok for Sapphire to go upstairs as she whined the first night they were here. After that she stayed downstairs on her bed. I was always first up in the morning to let her out into the garden. Plus I left the inner porch door open so she could lay out there, nice draught there to keep her cool.

I thought I done well coping with a 5 year old, but then he is so polite and caring. Constantly saying that he loves his Mum and Dad. He helped his Dad comb Sapphire. Called me Uncle Bob and laughed at some of my jokes, no not the ones I post on here.

Well, that’s it till my next visitor arrives. Be Michael before Christmas I hope. Looking forward now and no looking back or going back.

Many thanks reading and the kind comments via pm’s. I’ll post some photo’s up over the next few days.

232750. Over 3 months since I drove Banana.

onen hag oll

Last edited by FLYING BANANA; 28th October 2019 at 08:37.. Reason: Spellin’
FLYING BANANA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th October 2019, 11:53   #422
FLYING BANANA
Moderator/Club Shop

Cool Just a few pictures....................................

1-Sapphire
2-looking out to sea in Looe.
3-Sign post in Looe.
4-Lisa & John
5-John louis flying the flag.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2916.jpg (140.1 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2924.jpg (137.7 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2973.jpg (143.6 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2927.jpg (139.3 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2919.jpg (140.2 KB, 19 views)

onen hag oll
Old 28th October 2019, 12:00   #423
FLYING BANANA
Moderator/Club Shop

Cool More pictures 2

1-The Spitfire
2-On Pentire head before the anniversary dinner.
3-View across the veranda from inside the restaurant.
4-At the cider farm.
5-Viewing area overlooking Plymouth Harbour.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC_1177.jpg (147.3 KB, 23 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_1203.jpg (139.5 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2995.jpg (137.5 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3013.jpg (137.6 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3079.jpg (135.6 KB, 22 views)

onen hag oll
Old 28th October 2019, 12:04   #424
FLYING BANANA
Moderator/Club Shop

Cool Last lot................................

1-Overlooking Polperro Harbour
2-Food
3-John Louis posing on the cannon
4-Table tennis.
5-Plymouth Gin
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3023.jpg (140.3 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3021.jpg (135.2 KB, 23 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3035.jpg (137.6 KB, 24 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3063.jpg (140.9 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3107.jpg (137.4 KB, 21 views)

onen hag oll
Old 11th November 2019, 14:47   #425
FLYING BANANA
Moderator/Club Shop

Cool Talk about being dim..............

................................... sums me right up.

I’m a early bird, have been all my life. So when I get up of a morning and have had a shower and got dressed I make my way downstairs, put the lading light on so I can get down the stairs safely. When I get to the bottom I then switch on my main ceiling lights and turn them off once I reach the kitchen area except this morning when I flicked the switch nothing happened. So I got safely across the lounge without falling over anything and tried the other light switch. No nothing.
The next set of lights was working along with the kitchen ceiling lights.

(Downstairs is all open plan and the lights are split into 3 sections. 9 in the lounge, 2 in the gap between kitchen and lounge then there is a further 8 covering the kitchen. Lounge has two switches but the other two sets only have 1 switch each).

Tried the lounge lights again but nothing happened. Nothing I can do at the moment as my step ladder is in the garage and as it still dark outside, coupled with the rain would make it dangerous for me to get them.
So had my breakfast, took my tablets and drank my tea. I decided to put a casserole together in the slow cooker. So I set about getting that ready whilst wondering why the lights were not working. Had visions of either getting a sparky out or asking Allen to have a look if I could find nothing wrong in the fuse box.

Put the washing away, got the washing up done. It was now light enough for me to go and get the step ladder. Put the ladder up to check the fuse box, sits on the top shelf in the lobby. Opened the box and all the switches were in their correct positions. All the switches were clearly marked to what they served. And all in the up position.

Got down and tried the light switch again, knowing it was not going to work. So not disappointed when nothing happened. Wandered across to the other switch and pressed it but this time I turned the dimmer switch and the lights came on. Oh! Hum! What a numpty! I must have caught the dimmer when I pulled the curtains.
I shouldn’t be allowed out on my own. So panic over.

onen hag oll
Old 11th November 2019, 22:19   #426
COLVERT
This is my second home

R75 Saloon.

Thanked 2,167 Times in 1,816 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYING BANANA View Post
1-Overlooking Polperro Harbour
2-Food
3-John Louis posing on the cannon
4-Table tennis.
5-Plymouth Gin
Makes me sad sometimes as I do miss all of this.
COLVERT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd November 2019, 20:38   #427
FLYING BANANA
Moderator/Club Shop

Default A little bit of sad news.................

..................................... I was awoken by the sounds of sirens, and the bedroom was lit up by the reflection of blue lights. I looked out of the window and could see ambulance/paramedics and police across the road. Never a good sign.

A little bit later a private ambulance arrived. I only watched the van depart. I asked my neighbour across the way and he said that the lady a bit further down the road had passed away in the night, just 63. She was found by her husband. Always sad to hear such sad news.
I only saw her a few days ago. She would often stop and speak to me.

onen hag oll

Last edited by FLYING BANANA; 23rd November 2019 at 20:39.. Reason: Lost words
Old 8th December 2019, 10:55   #428
FLYING BANANA
Moderator/Club Shop

Cool 6 months today I moved into...................

....................................... my New home. And a lot has happened in that time. I’ve had more visitors in that 6 months than I did have in 6 years when I lived up in Barkingside. Had people staying over, a rarity in Barkingside. In fact only had 2 people stay over in 6 years. Those stairs had a lot to answer for. But that’s the past. Today and tomorrow is that all that matters now.
The sad part is I have no inclination or yearning to return up to London. I know I have family, well not many, up there but I just cannot be bothered.

Made so many new friends down here, mainly through the MG clubs. Now have a totally different social life, even more hectic since I took over the reins in the club shop. Hoping to live up to Brian’s standards. Banana and the Bear have more admirers than before. Been asked to show the pair at various shows, especially with the Cornish MGOC.
Still involved with the Southwest Crew, along with 31 others we are off to the IOW next weekend. Watch out for Banana’s mini tour report.

Gobsmacked to have won an award last night, all light hearted fun. I have to give the trophy back next year but I get to keep the certificate. Makes me feel happy.
Got good report from the doctors, now have cut down on tablet intake so now feeling better in myself. Got the all clear after my last health scare. Still have the arthritis but that’s in the back of my mind.
Cut back by 75 percent on eating diary products. Cut out chocolate, but still have the occasional choccy bikkie. Cut the comfort food down to the minimum. Still have the occasional bag of crisps.

Lost a bit of weight. But intend to do more exercise over the next year. Going to gut the rear garden, the greenhouse is awaiting a new floor. Garage has been cleared out. Took a load of stuff up to the Sue Ryder charity shop. Most of that stuff I brought down from Essex 18 months ago, some of it was never unpacked.
The model car collection has grown a bit, and have a couple of commission builds to do.

Still cooking and loving it. Started having proper roast dinners on regular basis. Still love a chunk of steak, love a good casserole done in the slow cooker. Actually cooked a proper breakfast this morning. Cannot wait for Allen to finish off my breakfast bar. Loved watching him yesterday when he built the unit boxing my tv in. A proper perfectionist was a delight to observe. Gives me the confidence to try a few jobs myself. Not had that confidence for years.

Allen took me out to the boatyard yesterday to show me the progress he has made on his boat building skills. Wow! What a difference to the last time I saw her. All the inside is virtually finished, engines still to go in along with the fuel & fresh water tanks. Still needs a new coat of paint on the hull. The bilge plates have yet to be put back on. Allen is hoping to get her back into the water this time next year.

So all in all life is treating me well. I still miss my Val, and will always. Still talk to her every day, asking her advice. Still talk to myself, well I need expert advice.

So No Going Back............................ever.

onen hag oll
Old 10th December 2019, 16:56   #429
FLYING BANANA
Moderator/Club Shop

Cool Been a day of pluses..........................

............................................ first Banana needed 4 new tyres, 2 were getting near the mark and as we have a couple trips planned plus the up and coming MOT I decided to get all 4 replaced.
There is a small family run tyre shop in Saltash so I went there, I took the Bear there about 8 months ago.
When it comes to tyres I generally go for Continentals, tried Uni Royal Rain Spots but found there wore out very quickly.

So got a price on the Continental 5 Spot’s. And they were the same price as the last lot I bought almost 3 years ago from All Tyres in Woodford Essex. Happy with that.
Second plus, was Allen has been round and has almost finished my TV unit, looks the dogs wot sits.

Third plus was the Watch Doctors contacted me to say that my Lorus Micky Mouse watch had been repaired and was ready to be sent back. I bought my Val this watch back in 1991. Since her passing I have worn the watch every day since.
4th plus was the news that my Grand Dad’s pocket watch was ready for collection from a local jewellers in Saltash, I did take the Lorus Micky Mouse watch in there but they was unable to repair it. My Grand Dad’s Jaegar fob watch dates back to the First World War, officers watch, and has a lot of sentimental value.

So all in all a cracking day despite the gale force winds and torrential rain.

Happy with that.

onen hag oll

Last edited by FLYING BANANA; 10th December 2019 at 16:57.. Reason: Lost letters found
Old 29th December 2019, 09:23   #430
FLYING BANANA
Moderator/Club Shop

Cool Christmas Day in my New Home................

.............................................. was going to be something very special. But there was a wee change of plan as I had been invited to have Xmas Day dinner with Allen, Val, Debbie and Barbara which I accepted.

On December the 21st we went to our friends 50th birthday dinner, Lisa Hancock, in Torbay. Allen, Val and I travelled up in Banana. The weather was atrocious and as per norm I missed the turn off. Seems to be a habit of mine just lately. Anyhow we got to the pub ok and in plenty of time. Sadly half of those invited failed to turn up through various reasons. But we still had a good time. When we left at about 10.30pm the weather had cleared up and the drive home was without mis-hap.

Come Sunday morning I had no voice, horrible sore throat but otherwise felt ok. Got on with jobs still to be done. A few bits still to be wrapped ready for the big day. I took Banana for a drive down to Trago Mills at Liskard as there was a few bits I needed, and the weather was nice. Returned home ok but was starting to feel unwell. So I took a Lemsip and some cough mixture and went to bed.
Woke up about 4 hours later feeling better, still had the sore throat but at least my voice was back. And the yucky feeling had gone. Too many late nights and too much falling down water was to blame.

Monday came around, and I was still waiting for the Club Shop Stock to arrive. Actros was keeping me informed about it’s progress from his home to mine but there had seemed to been a mix up. Oh! Well it will get to me when it does. The small selection of stock that I did have should tie me over the holiday. The calendars were going out at a steady rate.
Christmas Eve and lo and behold the Club Shop Stock arrived, 5 boxes of it. But I was not feeling too bright to do a stock check, so I just carted it all upstairs to the spare bedroom to be sorted out. Nearly killed me.

Allen popped round with a card and a present from Matt, and Allen told me off for carting the boxes upstairs. We had a chat and then he was gone. Arrangements were made for Christmas Day, Allen said for me not to drive as there maybe some falling down water to be consumed. I decided that after dinner I would take another Lemsip and have an early night. Starting to feel that a cold was on the horizon.
Got a phone call from my late god son’s wife to tell me that the funeral would be on the 9th January plus she spoke about a few other things. That news coupled with the 9th anniversary of Val’s passing had me in floods of tears.

Christmas morning and the sky was blue, not a cloud in the sky. Up fairly early and into the shower. Sunday best clothes to be worn today. I set off on foot to Allen n Val’s house. On a good day about a 10 minute walk. Lovely to be out in the sun. Sharp wind in the shadows but I was soon at the house where a welcomed mug of tea was waiting. I had presents to give plus flowers for Barbara.
Soon Allen and I were off down to the Union Inn, with Val driving us, for a couple of swift ones before lunch. Val was dropping us off then collecting Barbara before returning to the house to make sure dinner was still cooking ok. The pick up arrangement was for us to be waiting outside the pub at 13.30 sharp. Allen decided as I was wearing a watch that would be my responsibility to make sure we was on time.

The first pint is free, paid for by the landlord. After that it was cash only. Olde Worlde pub does no food other that crisps and nuts, allows no children into the pub at anytime, dogs are allowed in. They only take cash, so no cards or cheques. Most weekends they have live music and this is how they make there money. Really nice old pub right on the waterside. Spring tides and the pub gets flooded, no cellar as such but there is a well protected store room where the barrels are kept.
After a pints of Appleshed with Jamesons chasers 13.30 approached rather rapidly. But we was out before Val arrived. Think she was quite surprised.

Too be continued.........

onen hag oll