Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Social Forums > Social Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 6th December 2019, 19:01   #1
jackatesme
This is my second home

rover 75 saloon.Renault Captur 1.5 diesel.

Thanked 1,242 Times in 702 Posts
Default Assisted hill start.

Been looking for replacement for the x-trail. Found some new cars with assisted hill start.
If you pass your driving test with an automatic then you can only drive an automatic,if you pass your test with an assisted hill start considering hill start is part of the test should you be, only able to drive a car with assisted hill start.
Any thoughts,or am i talking a lot b****.
3,021 of 4,744 Connie SE
239 of 1.685 Platinum Gold.
"Maralyn": Platinum Blonde,Troublesome,Unpredictable.
jackatesme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th December 2019, 19:14   #2
stevestrat
This is my second home

ZT260 #243 (resting)

Thanked 4,624 Times in 3,358 Posts

Maybe you're not allowed to drive uphill

T4 Location Map
stevestrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th December 2019, 20:08   #3
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Thanked 3,032 Times in 2,181 Posts

perhaps you should have to demonstrate pulling away both using and not using hill start. There is also auto off handbrakes, "anti stall", abs. All these help drivers but it also takes away some skills

macafee2
macafee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th December 2019, 21:46   #4
johnnybbad
Loves to post

mgzt

My company van has hill assist but you can turn the function off, although it does say on the GOV website that you can use a vehicle with hill assist and electronic parking brakes
johnnybbad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th December 2019, 10:03   #5
AndyN01
This is my second home

Toyota RAV4

Thanked 1,579 Times in 968 Posts

My Passat has an Electric Park Brake with a switch to turn on the "handbrake" function.

The handbrake "engages" whenever you stop at, say, some traffic lights or on a hill. I believe it works off the ABS rings.

Just pop her into gear and pull away and the "handbrake" releases automatically.

Very odd until you get used to it but you soon do - unless you forget to turn it on and start rolling back down a hill!

The BIG downside is that if it packs up the car will need to be recovered because the handbrake is locked on and a replacement is ££££££££'s

Andy.

Last edited by AndyN01; 7th December 2019 at 10:06..
AndyN01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th December 2019, 14:40   #6
sworks
Been absent for a while…

Rover 75 Tourer, Classic mini Cooper S, Abarth 595 competizione, MG TF and a Hyundai Tucson PHEV

Thanked 1,686 Times in 1,040 Posts

Hill hold assist can be turned off. I find it brilliant in our car as it has a manual dct gearbox with auto control. If you stop in drive with your foot on the brake the clutch can overheat and cause judder. Rather than move to park and apply the electric handbrake I just move from drive to neutral and auto hold locks the brakes until I press the brake to move back to drive. Technology is moving fast and things like blind spot assist, lane assist and rear cross traffic alert are all there to help

'Marmite' Possibly one of the most famous 75 tourers produced! left the production line as the last of only Three Rover 75 tourers produced in Trophy Yellow. 48 hours later Longbridge closed. The last sold ordered 75 Tourer. Paid for by the Phoenix Four and handed over by John Towers to the Warwickshire Northampton Air ambulance service as a Rapid Response vehicle

Last edited by sworks; 7th December 2019 at 14:42..
sworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th December 2019, 18:24   #7
jackatesme
This is my second home

rover 75 saloon.Renault Captur 1.5 diesel.

Thanked 1,242 Times in 702 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sworks View Post
Hill hold assist can be turned off. I find it brilliant in our car as it has a manual dct gearbox with auto control. If you stop in drive with your foot on the brake the clutch can overheat and cause judder. Rather than move to park and apply the electric handbrake I just move from drive to neutral and auto hold locks the brakes until I press the brake to move back to drive. Technology is moving fast and things like blind spot assist, lane assist and rear cross traffic alert are all there to help

Technology is moving fast and things like blind spot assist, lane assist and rear cross traffic alert are all there to help

At 74yrs i find they also confuse.
103,597 of 112,381 (75s)
3,021 of 4,744 Connie SE
239 of 1.685 Platinum Gold.
"Maralyn": Platinum Blonde,Troublesome,Unpredictable.
jackatesme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th December 2019, 10:07   #8
sworks
Been absent for a while…

Rover 75 Tourer, Classic mini Cooper S, Abarth 595 competizione, MG TF and a Hyundai Tucson PHEV

Thanked 1,686 Times in 1,040 Posts

I do have to admit that sometimes I get a warning and it takes a while to work out what it’s for, all intended to keep you that little bit safer. Not forgetting the SOS button in the roof, if pressed you are instantly put through to a call centre and asked which emergency service you require, if the airbag is deployed the system automatically sends all 3 as the car sends out information where it is and in what direction it was travelling. Nothing to do with actual driving but technology moving forward

'Marmite' Possibly one of the most famous 75 tourers produced! left the production line as the last of only Three Rover 75 tourers produced in Trophy Yellow. 48 hours later Longbridge closed. The last sold ordered 75 Tourer. Paid for by the Phoenix Four and handed over by John Towers to the Warwickshire Northampton Air ambulance service as a Rapid Response vehicle
sworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th December 2019, 16:28   #9
RogerHeinz57
I really should get out more.......

A Reasonably Priced Car

Thanked 1,064 Times in 712 Posts

Looking into the future of these modern and awesomely fantastic developments into the modern car, one cannot ignore the potential for many poorly designed systems that cost fortunes to replace would contribute to the early demise of the vehicle comparatively early in it's career. Look at our old cars, they have superb engineering and have survived all the press rubbish spread by the likes of Top Gear muppetry, beit our cars are becoming less and less popular on the roads they were a great car then, and still great today. Compare the longevity attributed to the more modern vehicles and costs of the technology to keep them going, things will get worse.
A few things spring to mind:
Start Stop technology - Will crank shafts and their bearings cope with modern driving ? Has anybody had to replace an AGM battery yet? The costs are huge.
Lane departure systems - Will the tyre retailers eventually be able to set wheel alignment on such vehicles ?

I conclude that there are likely to be many other problems associated with the future cars, and with this - are we going to be happy with the costs of having them into dealerships for simple stuff to be adjusted or mended.
RogerHeinz57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th December 2019, 16:39   #10
AndyN01
This is my second home

Toyota RAV4

Thanked 1,579 Times in 968 Posts

I think we are a dying breed.

Evolution is working.....

"Most" people are being very successfully brainwashed into cars being disposable items like washing machines, only expected to last a small handful of years and then be scrapped.

What a wonderful way to keep the £££'s rolling in.

Andy.
AndyN01 is offline   Reply With Quote