Old 18th November 2019, 15:40   #1
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Thanked 3,032 Times in 2,181 Posts
Default when DIY goes wrong

You will need to refer to this diagram
https://www.mtmc.co.uk/Product.aspx?ProductID=88627&strReferer=search&PPG R=0

went to sand a door I had primed a few days ago and I could tell the armature on the sander was stuck.

I took it apart and the bearing, item 14 was seized.

I thought item 27 was a retaining nut holding 826 in place but once removed found it was not the case. The retailer has been fantastic and advised me how to remove 826, piece of cake. Now with the bearing in my hand and desperation getting to me I opted and I genuinely feel guilty about this, to go to a local bearing dealer to get a replacement. I would have liked to reward the retailer with my custom but time was of the essence.
Now back to 27, it is no longer available, its not a nut but a tight fit on 826 and spins in the hole E of 829. I've ruined 27. I thought at the time something was not right about it being a nut. I have made something as a permanent fix and that was to use part of a coiled "spring" from an old rule. I have spent the last few hours trying to get something to work.
I have lost the whole day messing around and suspect I will need a replacement sander. I'll cheat and look out for one at the car boot sales next year. I will break it if its not too good for parts.

yet again my lack of understanding has cost me dear. The knowledge I gain by damaging stuff is one thing but I'd prefer not to end up damaging stuff.

macafee2

Last edited by macafee2; 18th November 2019 at 16:58..
macafee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th November 2019, 16:45   #2
COLVERT
This is my second home

R75 Saloon.

Thanked 2,167 Times in 1,816 Posts

I guess you mean27.

Did you squash it ??---

Otherwise thread lock would have held it in place.--
COLVERT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th November 2019, 17:01   #3
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by COLVERT View Post
I guess you mean27.

Did you squash it ??---

Otherwise thread lock would have held it in place.--
gggrrrr yes 27 sorry and thank you. I have amended op.

It was just a friction fit and yes, crushed it and put a split in it.
It runs inside a needle roller. 826 is a left handed thread and that came undone quite easily, I should have left 27 alone. No need to have touched it, hind sight is a wonderful thing

macafee2
Old 18th November 2019, 19:00   #4
clf
This is my second home

MG ZT CDTi

Thanked 2,657 Times in 1,973 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by macafee2 View Post
You will need to refer to this diagram
https://www.mtmc.co.uk/Product.aspx?ProductID=88627&strReferer=search&PPG R=0

went to sand a door I had primed a few days ago and I could tell the armature on the sander was stuck.

I took it apart and the bearing, item 14 was seized.

I thought item 27 was a retaining nut holding 826 in place but once removed found it was not the case. The retailer has been fantastic and advised me how to remove 826, piece of cake. Now with the bearing in my hand and desperation getting to me I opted and I genuinely feel guilty about this, to go to a local bearing dealer to get a replacement. I would have liked to reward the retailer with my custom but time was of the essence.
Now back to 27, it is no longer available, its not a nut but a tight fit on 826 and spins in the hole E of 829. I've ruined 27. I thought at the time something was not right about it being a nut. I have made something as a permanent fix and that was to use part of a coiled "spring" from an old rule. I have spent the last few hours trying to get something to work.
I have lost the whole day messing around and suspect I will need a replacement sander. I'll cheat and look out for one at the car boot sales next year. I will break it if its not too good for parts.

yet again my lack of understanding has cost me dear. The knowledge I gain by damaging stuff is one thing but I'd prefer not to end up damaging stuff.

macafee2
I like you (it seems) like to repair what I have if possible, or if I like it, preferably with a piece from my 'it may come in handy boxes'. I always 'go in' with the notion, that if I break it, I will at least have learned something, and I would have to replace it or pay to have it repaired anyway. IE you have nothing to lose. But now you can say you have tried it, and learned something you didnt know yesterday.

In the situation you are now in, I would be looking down the ebay route (much closer to you than me lol). If it didnt work, I could make one out of the two - because now you know

incidentally, have you tried elsewhere for the part? (apparently available in Australia HERE.

This was what I 'fixed' at the weekend, because it had stopped working. It's working now and the cats love it. (Laser pointer on a motor)

It is not gloss primer .............. it is duct tape silver!

Last edited by clf; 18th November 2019 at 19:04..
clf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th November 2019, 20:20   #5
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by clf View Post
I like you (it seems) like to repair what I have if possible, or if I like it, preferably with a piece from my 'it may come in handy boxes'. I always 'go in' with the notion, that if I break it, I will at least have learned something, and I would have to replace it or pay to have it repaired anyway. IE you have nothing to lose. But now you can say you have tried it, and learned something you didnt know yesterday.

In the situation you are now in, I would be looking down the ebay route (much closer to you than me lol). If it didnt work, I could make one out of the two - because now you know

incidentally, have you tried elsewhere for the part? (apparently available in Australia HERE.

This was what I 'fixed' at the weekend, because it had stopped working. It's working now and the cats love it. (Laser pointer on a motor)

no I had not found that. I will email them for a price as that will be a better fix then what I have done, appreciate the link. Thank you

macafee2