Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 6th November 2019, 17:37   #51
breakfastinsmethwick
Gets stuck in

Maintainer of sons ZT M47r

I could believe that it is easier(ish) to clean power station emissions from charging a large number of EV’s than it is to run a similar number of IC engines with emissions kit fitted.

Many drivers of older vehicles remove emissions kit or have so called remaps where no one knows whats being spewed out.

I had a conversation with a former CEGB engineer a short while back about renewables and he was adamant that clean coal was very promising but got binned for political reasons.
breakfastinsmethwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th November 2019, 18:04   #52
Olde faithful
Loves to post

ROVER 75 TOURER

Angry

I want ROAD TAX reductions for each city im not allowed to drive my car, this is plain ridiculous with council after council banning diesel cars..

its all BS!

I want some reductions in my road tax as they move city after city off the road network for me.

even brand new diesels are now being looked at being banned on 69 plates absolute crazy left wing nutters

Last edited by Olde faithful; 6th November 2019 at 18:08..
Olde faithful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th November 2019, 18:49   #53
Rp61973
Loves to post

Rover 75 CDTI Classic

Will be interested to know how we will deal with the mega-gallons of fuel consumed by lorries (transporting food around an already overpopulated UK on a carousel), ships and boats and of course aircraft.

It's all well and good electrifying cars, but I am slightly cynical of the drive to outlaw diesel and petrol cars. Never trust a politician, eh?

The grid can't cope as it is, coupled with also houses built from 2025 will be banned from having gas heating/hot water - all electric from thereon. Couple that with the copious car charging points. We simply can't build power stations that quickly.
Old 6th November 2019, 23:02   #54
Comfortably Numb
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Saloon

Is this the same German think tank that told us that (German) diesels were far more eco-friendly than petrol models? I'm sure the Germans do not like the fact that the top end of their executive car market is being damaged by Tesla, any more than we do, but most scientists and motive power experts agree that the efficiency of the most efficient IC engine is lower (and therefore produces more CO2) than a coal fired steam turbine generator, including grid distribution losses. We have a far greater proportion of renewables than them, and with an emphasis on ultra-low emission, carbon neutral homes, offshore wind, and local solar generation, rather than massive, centralised fossil power station generation, Britain could more easily cope with EV demand than most, and be leaders in the field. We would have to sell and promote it around the world, though, as just switching off the power in the UK would make very little difference compared to the pollution and CO2 produced by the rest of the world.
Comfortably Numb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th November 2019, 23:14   #55
Comfortably Numb
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Saloon

However, ultimately, the rapid increase in world population, which the UK demonstrated forcibly throughout our industrial revolution, and the consumer society, - also a product of industrialised nations, - need the brakes applying. That's a helluva lot of self-denial and abstention needed by a helluva lot of people. Somehow can't see it happening in my lifetime!
Comfortably Numb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th November 2019, 10:24   #56
Lancpudn
This is my second home

MG ZS EV

Thanked 3,427 Times in 2,565 Posts

Looks like Virgin Media are getting in on the act offering their 40.000+ street furniture cabinets/equipment to be kitted out with EV chargers.

The new network will operate under the name Virgin Media Park & Charge.

A lot of the new BEV's coming out soon with be equipped with V2G (vehicle to Grid) technology with a bi-directional flow, New apps will allow you to dial in how much charge you need for that particular day whilst parked at work/shopping etc and the national grid will reimburse you for the electricity it takes from your vehicle. It will eventually use hundreds of thousands of V2G BEV vehicles to smooth out the grid in peak periods. https://www.fleetcarma.com/latest-ve...-v2g-charging/

Blessed are the tea makers.
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x3b...auto-2000_auto
Lancpudn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th November 2019, 11:58   #57
Lancpudn
This is my second home

MG ZS EV

Quote:
Originally Posted by MGJohn View Post
That is positive progress. However, meantime that small step in the right direction poses a much more valid question.

What of the many thousands of heavy freight 40+ tonners belching their particulates out pounding away at our infrastructure on our overloaded Roads and Motorways? Meantime the rest of an increasingly competitive Commercial World will carry on in "yah boo sucks" mode to those playing fairly.

It's logic Jam, but, not as we know it.

LOL Blimey! I've just been reading a piece about that! We're going back to canal barges in one city

There are plans afoot for an inland port in Leeds A new inland port in Leeds could remove up to half a million tonnes of freight traffic from the city's roads and reduce congestion. https://www.leeds-live.co.uk/news/le...-port-17211070

Old 7th November 2019, 12:15   #58
Lancpudn
This is my second home

MG ZS EV

They're also going to power HGV's in the UK on carbon neutral poop https://airqualitynews.com/2019/11/0...s-in-uk-first/

Old 7th November 2019, 12:27   #59
stevestrat
This is my second home

ZT260 #243 (resting)

Thanked 4,624 Times in 3,358 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancpudn View Post
They're also going to power HGV's in the UK on carbon neutral poop
Never run out of fuel again, just fit a bog seat on top of the fuel tank.

T4 Location Map
stevestrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th November 2019, 12:36   #60
stevestrat
This is my second home

ZT260 #243 (resting)

Thanked 4,624 Times in 3,358 Posts

If its a time critical delivery add an extra portion of beans to the trucker's breakfast. There's even an in cab refuelling option.

T4 Location Map

Last edited by stevestrat; 7th November 2019 at 12:48..
stevestrat is offline   Reply With Quote