Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Overseas Club Members Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 17th November 2010, 22:57   #41
Kiwi303

Formerly MGF

It's surprising what google throws up.

Hi Guys, I'm a Kiwi from NZ, I'm off to China next year, if all is going as planned, to spend a year or two doing TESOL teaching English. Currently looking at ChongQing.

Some years back while working as a salesman I bought a MGF, Wonderful little car, and since all the Rover and MG tech and building licences were bought by a chinese company, I was thinking while over there, possibly picking up a Rover MG-TF clone. I wasn't sure about build quality under chinese management, but reckoned it can't be any worse than British Leyland stuff!

So into google went "Chongqing Roewe buy car" and this forum thread was in the first page

Reading the forum seems to say the new MG iteration build qualities are pretty acceptable, maybe not up to Bentley and Rolls standards, but still quite competently done.

What I would love to have answered is What does a second hand MG go for in China? I don't think I would be able to get a new one off the showroom floor, I've only a slim budget that still has to fit shipping back when I finish over there and NZ road licencing.
Kiwi303 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th November 2010, 23:12   #42
Dallas
This is my second home

1979 Capri 1.6L, 1982 Capri 1.6L, 2016 Dacia Stepway

Thanked 3,397 Times in 2,218 Posts

If the Roewe never gets release over here, just wait a few years until they start to come over here in the grey import market. The strict MOT's and rigorous road tests over there makes theirs cars redundant after 5/6 years, we may get then eventually.......

.............. I'm sure Roelof can tell us a thing or two.....

Last edited by Dallas; 17th November 2010 at 23:14..
Dallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th November 2010, 03:18   #43
Roelof

MG7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiwi303 View Post
Hi Guys, I'm a Kiwi from NZ, I'm off to China next year

What I would love to have answered is What does a second hand MG go for in China? I don't think I would be able to get a new one off the showroom floor, I've only a slim budget that still has to fit shipping back when I finish over there and NZ road licencing.
There are not yet many used Roewe or Mg's cars on the market since the cars are relatively new and Chinese normally don't change cars for many years (except for the rich, who are buying expensive cars as it were a bag of potatoes). The cheapest new Roewe 350 is around 17.750 New Zealand Dollars and the cheapest new MG3SW costs about 15.000 New Zealand Dollars.
If those cars would be available as second hand cars, the price would be about 60% of the new value after three years.

I have to warn you though: driving in China and especially in Chongqing is a crazy adventure and you also need to obtain a Chinese driving license before you are allowed to drive a car in China.
Getting a taxi is easy and cheap, as is public transport.

If you have specific questions, you can send me a private message in order not to mis-use this forum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roelof View Post
感谢您友好的欢迎你. (thank you for your friendly welcome).
I will post photo's as soon as the weather will be nice (it is raining this week).
Regards, Roelof
At last I have found time to take some pictures (see the 20 pictures in my Image Gallery).
Please notice the licence plate (starts always with an "A" for the city of Chongqing): you will know how old I am.

It is a lot of fun to drive the MG7; really a very nice car (although I am not pushing too much yet for the first 1000 Km).

Always available to answer questions (if I know the answers).
Roelof

Last edited by Dragrad; 17th October 2015 at 02:57.. Reason: Consecutive posts - use the edit :-)
Roelof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th November 2010, 10:45   #44
arjan_m
Gets stuck in

MG TF 135

Beautiful car, with the best colour there is.... (British Racing Green ) and I see some modifications possible..... (Torpedo bages on the doors for example (1.8 Litre )

I like the MG7 grille, and can I see some minor differences with our 75/ZT (the automatic gear has a slight difference, as well as the leather seats).

How is the drive, I assume more comforty than sporty isn't it?

Congratulations again with this car! It's a real beauty!!

By the way; would it be possible to order (little) parts in China for our 75's/ZT's? As I don't know any adress in China of a MG dealer (which is quite good in English ), maybe you could make some (first) contacts (if you want of course?)

My third 75:
My Rover 75 1.8 mod topic
Rover 75 1.8 Classic, MidNight Blue, 2002

Current car:
MG TF 135, Antracite (LQW), 2002
arjan_m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th November 2010, 22:10   #45
Dallas
This is my second home

1979 Capri 1.6L, 1982 Capri 1.6L, 2016 Dacia Stepway

Thanked 3,397 Times in 2,218 Posts

Yes! some great photos of your car Roelof, I really like the rear light clusters and the front lights are pretty sexy too. Its amazing to see actual photos of a Roewe that a fellow club member really owns.....
Dallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st November 2010, 08:57   #46
Kiwi303

Formerly MGF

Nice car, the rear pillar merging into the boot makes me think american styling, looks very like some sedans from over there, overall it looks a swish car

The BRG colour scheme looks great!
Kiwi303 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st November 2010, 21:11   #47
pbaker
Loves to post

Rover 75 Tourer CDTI SE + MG ZS

Default mg7

hi all. how do I find Roelof's image gallery to his photo's thanks peter
pbaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd November 2010, 03:04   #48
Roelof

MG7

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbaker View Post
hi all. how do I find Roelof's image gallery to his photo's thanks peter
Go to image gallery, page 14, Roelof
Old 26th November 2010, 09:45   #49
Green&Blue

MG7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roelof View Post
Yesterday I have ordered my MG7 1.8 Turbo deLuxe in Chongqing, China, that's where I live since almost 7 years now.
I hesitated between this car and the Roewe 750, but, although the Roewe has more space for the passengers and is more forgiving for bad roads, i have chosen for the MG7 because of the body style and the interior, which is almost the same as the Rover 75 I bought when I retired in Italy in 2001. I loved that car, even after driving Mercedes 300 and BMW 7 for my work.
This MG7 is really beautiful and it is fun driving it.
For the curious people amongst you: I have paid (after negotiations) 192.800 RMB. (18.000 UK pounds)
I have downloaded some pictures in the Image Gallery of exactly the same car I have ordered.
If somebody would like more details, just let me know.
Well, I just joined the forum today, but have been driving my MG7 in Shenzhen since Oct '09. So, I guess I beat ya by more than a year .
It's got 22k+ on it now, and my only problem has been recalcitrant remote opening.
Otherwise, a roaring bargain of a car. Enjoy!
Green&Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th November 2010, 04:53   #50
Roelof

MG7

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green&Blue View Post
Well, I just joined the forum today, but have been driving my MG7 in Shenzhen since Oct '09. So, I guess I beat ya by more than a year .
It's got 22k+ on it now, and my only problem has been recalcitrant remote opening.
Otherwise, a roaring bargain of a car. Enjoy!
As per my initial title " am I the first GM7 owner on the forum?" , you have not beaten me! (I was the first on the forum)

But it is good to see that you have already over one year of experience with a MG7 in China and drove already 22.000 Km. with it without any serious problems!
I just have driven 1000 Km. and I hope that my MG7 will show similar performance as yours!
In January we will drive to Hainan (China's only tropical Island) to spent some time in Wenchang, where we have bought a holiday apartment. From Chongqing that will be about 2000 Km. (We have driven the distance already a few times with my old car).
I will report on it later.