Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > News Bulletins > Discussion
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 6th July 2014, 14:07   #31
egremont
Loves to post

Rover 75 Connoisseur SE. Auto. Saloon. SE

Default The advancing technology of 3D printing.

I think the cheaper 3D printers use materials such as ABS plastic as their medium.
But have a look at the following videos and see what Koenigsegg of Sweden has been doing. Now possible to use titanium, stainless steel, aluminium as their 3D medium, and there is talk of carbon fibre.

Their twin turbo unit (one section is for high revs, the other for the low rev band) is featured and the internals were all assembled inside the case during the printing.

The world of 3D prototyping and printing has changed the automotive industry. Christian von Koenigsegg explains how his company takes advantage of the new 3D Printing technology, with where he feels the future of the industry is going. It allows him to save on tooling costs and enables him to be "competitive" with the big guys when he has small and variable volumes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dw6cs7opvzA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DNedUZxP8NU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tcY9fBt_gWg
egremont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th July 2014, 14:21   #32
Leyland Worldmaster
This is my second home

Audi A2 1.4TDI

Thanked 1,622 Times in 1,057 Posts
Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jumper75 View Post
As they can now already print bearings with working ball races and even with the grease in them, it may only be a matter of time before someone with a big enough printer can print a whole car, except for the electronics of course.

The great thing about 3D printing with multiple materials is that you no longer have to design for manufacture. A 3D printed engine, if it were possible, could have no cylinder head, no sump, no bolts, just printed with all the captive parts inside one solid shell.

There would then no longer be the manufacturing defects caused by poor production line management, any failure would be entirely down to the design of the part, as each one would be identical.
Fixed head engine eh... We've been here before...http://www.aronline.co.uk/blogs/fact...oses-its-head/ As for the subject of the thread; two words; Type Approval...

🏓

Last edited by Leyland Worldmaster; 6th July 2014 at 14:24.. Reason: Headless ba
Leyland Worldmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th July 2014, 11:47   #33
brickie501
Regular poster

MG ZT

Thumbs up

What about parts for the Bloodhound SSC land speed record 'car'?

http://www.bloodhoundssc.com/blog/pr...steering-wheel

Above article is mostly about printing the steering wheel but it also mentions them looking to print the air brakes - so subject to a lot more stresses- & I have personally seen a prototype nose cone that is printed from a titanium material.

From what I've heard, the reason 3D printing isn't 'bigger' isn't really about strength but that you still can't just print something & use it (in 'metal' structural items particularly). There are still machining costs on top of outlay for printer & medium etc. So, they are still reserved for designs impossible to produce in another way (in one piece?) & for minimal waste of really expensive material - like titanium.

It's a great technology & just a shame that 'sensationalist' stories about making guns are the main thing the average person has heard about them!

Last edited by brickie501; 14th July 2014 at 14:14..
brickie501 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st November 2014, 07:14   #34
BaroqueMoon
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Saloon

This is worth a viewing.
http://on.ted.com/g0ZDZ

This vehicle was the 82,624th 75 to run off the production line, out of 112,381
This vehicle was the 6,161st 75 2.5 V6 Contemporary to be made out of 8,214
This vehicle was the 9,755th 75 in White Gold Metallic (code: GMN) to be made out of 12,251 White Gold Metallic 75s
BaroqueMoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th February 2015, 11:16   #35
egremont
Loves to post

Default Our dream is to refurbish broken Traction Control Actuators

Maybe it would be prudent for me not to mention anything about this until this project is completed. But why not let you know what I have been up to during the past few weeks. It is about refurbishing Traction Control Units. Eighteen drawings and measurements with comments have been prepared and forwarded for this project.

From what I have seen (when visiting a Computer group’s workshop), the lower priced 3D printers use plastic as their medium. These should be all right for making unstressed items such as electrical connectors.

The 75’s Traction Control (when fitted) breaks down over time and need to be replaced. Its cogs are subject to a lot of stress as the gears are brought to a halt by the internal stop bar. The internal cogs in the Traction Control Actuator are plastic and over time, two teeth, in particular are prone to break off, thus relegating the unit to the rubbish bin.

Actuators are not cheap, and a rebuild should be the cheaper option – I hope.

Obviously, we couldn’t justify the outlay to purchase an upmarket 3D printer – one capable of making metal parts.. So a quote is being sought (via an ex-staffer) from the university’s commercial section to print the gears in titanium.

Titanium is not cheap, but as our gears are relatively small, I am hoping that their quote will be within our budget.

Regards,
Egremont.
Old 27th February 2015, 11:27   #36
BaroqueMoon
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by egremont View Post
Maybe it would be prudent for me not to mention anything about this until this project is completed. But why not let you know what I have been up to during the past few weeks. It is about refurbishing Traction Control Units. Eighteen drawings and measurements with comments have been prepared and forwarded for this project.

From what I have seen (when visiting a Computer group’s workshop), the lower priced 3D printers use plastic as their medium. These should be all right for making unstressed items such as electrical connectors.

The 75’s Traction Control (when fitted) breaks down over time and need to be replaced. Its cogs are subject to a lot of stress as the gears are brought to a halt by the internal stop bar. The internal cogs in the Traction Control Actuator are plastic and over time, two teeth, in particular are prone to break off, thus relegating the unit to the rubbish bin.

Actuators are not cheap, and a rebuild should be the cheaper option – I hope.

Obviously, we couldn’t justify the outlay to purchase an upmarket 3D printer – one capable of making metal parts.. So a quote is being sought (via an ex-staffer) from the university’s commercial section to print the gears in titanium.

Titanium is not cheap, but as our gears are relatively small, I am hoping that their quote will be within our budget.

Regards,
Egremont.
Sounds like a fascinating project. Looking forward to your updates.

This vehicle was the 9,755th 75 in White Gold Metallic (code: GMN) to be made out of 12,251 White Gold Metallic 75s
Old 27th February 2015, 15:21   #37
spyder
This is my second home

75 CDT Auto Tourer , Rover 45 , Astra, Zaffira, Chev Captiva

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaroqueMoon View Post
Sounds like a fascinating project. Looking forward to your updates.

If you want any printed in ABS as trial pieces, give me a shout. You can send me the file and I can always post it off to you. An offer if you want it.

Regards Craig.
Chrome skull caps, EGR cleaned (original housing), Mondeo lower mounting, 12V outlets in the armrest and tourer boot, cat fixed, working FBH, Lidl plenum covers, DD with reverse camera.New speakesr/Tweeters with MDF rings. wood dash, Memory leather seats, wooden finished steering and handbrake, Xenon headlights.
spyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st March 2015, 01:47   #38
egremont
Loves to post

Default Thanks for your offer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyder View Post
If you want any printed in ABS as trial pieces, give me a shout. You can send me the file and I can always post it off to you. An offer if you want it.

Regards Craig.
Thanks for your offer Craig.
I will keep your offer in mind, but will see what the response is from the Uni. If the pricing is not too over the top, I may mention it on this forum in case others may wish to have a set.
Regards,
Bruce.
Old 7th April 2015, 00:18   #39
BaroqueMoon
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Saloon

How's the 3D project coming along egremont?

Old 7th April 2015, 11:53   #40
egremont
Loves to post

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaroqueMoon View Post
How's the 3D project coming along egremont?
Hello Baroque Moon,

I made the drawings with measurements and angles noted on the pages.
Progress stalled until recently, due to University staff having annual leave and sickness.
They require CAD documentation before quoting on this project. I hope to collect / have my drawings and parts returned in the next few days. A friend is developing a massive prototype for industry and has offered to have his CAD man do the "paperwork" for me.
Hopefully, we may have an acceptable quote for the production of titanium cogs - soon. If the price is reasonable I will mention it on this forum as others may wish to purchase a set.
Will keep you posted.

Regards,
Bruce.