Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 2nd February 2020, 10:02   #11
stocktake
Vis Whiz

Rover 75 2.5 auto Saloon

Thanked 3,056 Times in 1,621 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arctic View Post
drop me a PM and as I say if not too far drive over and I can go over the car with you.
Plenty of great advice but if you only action one thing from this thread, make it this one. One of the best around.

Lost a few stones and a Gall Bladder and part of a bile duct and all of my dignity in the suppository incident
stocktake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd February 2020, 10:30   #12
Mike Trident
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 CDTi Saloon & Citroen C1

The whine you refer to could well be the noise quite common to some facelift diesels, mine included.

Is it a fuel regulator or something?, can't remember!

It does sound quite like a turbo whine, which used to worry me. Does the sound cut off dead as the revs drop quite low?

I am guessing, this is the noise. But afraid you have to live with it as there is no cure.

Get hold of BigRuss, a member on here who can sort out keys, give it a 160 remap, and is a fountain of knowledge.

Nice looking car by the way, you will love it.

BORN
Tuesday, 5th October 2004 @ 12:35:52
This vehicle was the 104,679th 75 to run off the production line, out of 112,381
This vehicle was the 3,318th 75 CDT Connoisseur SE (135) to be made out of 4,744
This vehicle was the 12,440th 75 in Starlight Silver (code: MBB) to be made out of 14,280 Starlight Silver 75s

Last edited by Mike Trident; 2nd February 2020 at 10:33..
Mike Trident is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd February 2020, 10:38   #13
Phil th Barrow
Gets stuck in

" NOW SOLD" :-( Rover 75 Conni Auto SE

Mine wines... If its not th turbo ignore. Boot leaks. Here is a few places to look. https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/for...d.php?t=251938 And if you can take a visit to Mr Arctic. He's a good Rover man and you'll soon av all th essential mods covered..
Old 2nd February 2020, 14:55   #14
Yannage
Regular poster

Rover 75 saloon

Same model and colour as mine which I got 2 weeks ago. I've also got a problem with a leaky boot. I would check your carpets in passenger seats as I have a serious water issue that means I'm needing to replace the carpets entirely, not to scare you! Enjoy the car
Yannage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd February 2020, 17:11   #15
Gunnerhavesome
Avid contributor

2001 Rover 75 2.0 V6 Con SE, Range Rover P38 4.6 for my Russian winter home

Location: France Feb to October/Sevastopol Crimea November to Jan

welcome to the forum, Lots of help and advice on here.
my 19 year old connie is on its 5 trip to the south of France and love it.
Gunnerhavesome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd February 2020, 18:36   #16
Workhorse
Regular poster

Rover 75 Saloon

Thanks all for the warm welcome and good advice, and particularly for the offers of assistance! It's very reassuring to know there's a supportive community out there.

I'm still in that stage of ownership where I'm extremely nervous of any noise and rattle and assume it's about to do something very expensive! I think a few hundred more miles to build confidence with the car and I'll start sorting the little jobs. The car looks better than it is in the pictures, as the paintwork actually isn't fantastic and wheels are quite comprehensively curved, but hopefully a good mechanical base to improve on.

Is the 160 remap basically a retune to a higher BMW spec? I think I'm right in saying that manufacturers sometimes detune identical engines for different model specs, so is this the case here?

I've had a look at the plenums and they appear dry if a little grubby with a bit of detritus. I'll investigate more thoroughly in due course, as I'm fairly familiar with blocked drainage due to also owning an oldish MX5
Workhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd February 2020, 21:59   #17
Rogue
I really should get out more.......

75 CDT SE 160 Saloon

Thanked 1,096 Times in 774 Posts

Quote:
wheels are quite comprehensively curved
Curved is good ... Square wheels are a pita

Otherwise as others have mentioned and getting her mapped will be the best mod you will do to her

Glutton for punishment --- Previously ... 2.6 SD1 x 2, 3.5 SD1, 820S, 820Si x2, 216 Gsi, 220T saloon, 414, 45 1.4 x2 and now a Cowley 75 CDT
Rogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd February 2020, 22:21   #18
marinabrian

MG ZT

Thanked 10,837 Times in 5,718 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clickernick View Post
Heated seats can fail due to a fracture on the supply wire under the seat. ( it rubs on the underwear wire suspension and Chaffee through)

I wonder if this is in part due to your preference for wire suspended underwear ?

You should try these as a safety precaution against accidental "chaffee"

Brian
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bra.jpg (32.3 KB, 78 views)
marinabrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th February 2020, 22:31   #19
Workhorse
Regular poster

Rover 75 Saloon

I'm nearly 1000 miles into ownership now which have been fairly fault free, aside from a few things:

Firstly, I checked the passenger side plenum which houses the ECU and Pollen filter, and although grubby it was totally dry. However, driving this evening I could hear some sloshing coming from that area. Is there anywhere other than the plenums that have a tendancy to fill with water? My MX5 makes a similar noise when the sills fill with water...

Secondly, the fuel gauge briefly malfunctioned and went from telling me that I had half a tank, to an entire tank. After switching the car off and on again it went back to normal and has been fine since - is this a sign of something on the way out?

Thirdly, even on a long run the temperature gauge doesn't go up beyond a third or so, so the needle is pointing at the little temperature symbol on the gauge if that makes sense. Looks a little on the cool side to me or is this normal?

Any pointers on the above greatly appreciated! Otherwise really enjoying the car, and it seems like one worth spending time on to get top notch.
Workhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th February 2020, 22:42   #20
Clickernick
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Connie SE Tourer Triumph Street Triple R

Hi bud,
Well done on your first 1000miles!! I have covered 90,000 miles in my 3 rovers/MGs in the last 10 years and have gained a lot of skills and confidence in these fine Motorcars.
You ‘had’ clear plenums!
But the outlets may still be blocked up and with all this bad weather you may have to give the outlets a poke through with a flexible pipe bender. It’s what I use. This water may have slightly entered your ecu causing the intermittent gauge reading. When I had a full on ecu sploshing my engine cut out and I had to dig it out and the immobiliser and give it a good shake through at the roadside,, the car has been perfect since so it’s not always a huge issue. Just make sure you check regularly esp after wet spells.
The temp issue will be the original BMW thermostat opening early 65-70 deg! ( a common problem) Visit DMGRS and buy and fit an in-line stat in the top hose. Heater problem solved this way on all my rover/ MG diesels. Running temp 87-89deg!!

Ditto what other have said about the remap. You will get the most benefit by cleaning out the inlet manifold, deleting the egr valve and fitting a silicone intercooler hose and new Viton O rings to the intercooler convection pipe. A clean fully sealed inlet tract and clean injectors is something to experience with the 160 remap!!!

Real walnut interior. Original refurbished Forked Spokes 16” with Michelin Primacy 4 rubber, Pioneer AVH-Z9200DAB double din Wi Fi phone integration. Retrofitted twin front horns. 160 re-map. Revotec fan. Silicone intercooler hoses and ‘O ring’ replacement. Top hose thermostat. New walnut and smokestone steering wheel with cruise upgrade. Brembo Brakes. Ceramic coated rear Exhaust. L/engine mount, Hydramount, Bosch MAF. Focal Access Drivers and Focal Amp.

Last edited by Clickernick; 28th February 2020 at 22:54..
Clickernick is offline   Reply With Quote