Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Social Forums > Social Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 25th August 2023, 11:57   #1
mileshawk56
Posted a thing or two

MGZT

Default Headsup 30mph

Just a word to the wise! Just got a ticket for 35mph in 30mph area and it was reducing speed ie I knew the area and it was a down hill limit(so obviously I didnt reduce enough). I feel it maybe part of the Green agenda but then I would wouldnt I? Chris.S.
mileshawk56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th August 2023, 12:11   #2
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Thanked 3,032 Times in 2,181 Posts

what are you warning us of?

macafee2
macafee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th August 2023, 17:22   #3
VVC-Geeza
This is my second home

2005 Connoisseur SE 1.8 Turbo,2004 45 1.8 Connoisseur and my beloved 1998 VVC Coupe.

Thanked 1,016 Times in 739 Posts

I was wondering the same.Its a favourite ploy of camera vans to position themselves on hills.

One thing I have noticed is that they operating 7 days a week now.Up until about the beginning of this year I had never seen one at a weekend.Coffers must be really low.

VVC-Geeza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th August 2023, 17:38   #4
wraymond
This is my second home

75 Auto 2.5 SE

Thanked 1,680 Times in 1,014 Posts

I think it’s a warning that the limit starts there. Or even earlier. Commiserations on your ticket.

I’ve just had a PCN notice stuck to my screen, my very first one in 62 years of driving! For eceeding the ticket time by four minutes! Unfortunately, or maybe not, the regno was correct but the make of vehicle was other than Rover. Does this make the PCN invalid? Do I still have endorsement/PCN bragging rights?
Old 25th August 2023, 17:43   #5
Nobby
Aged to perfection!

Rover 75 Conn SE Tourer

I can't speak for all police areas but Thames Valley Police allow 10% plus 1mph over the limit to allow for speedo error.

As our speedo reading when running on standard tyres and without any software adjustment is typically 3 mph lower than actual speed, i.e. at 30mph indicated actual speed is approx 27mph. On that basis if you were clocked at 35mph your indicated speed was probably close to 38mph. Been there got that tee shirt and that's how it was explained on my speed awareness course so unfortunately you were banged to rights too

Sometimes I talk to myself, Then we both LAUGH!

Nobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th August 2023, 17:59   #6
another_clean_sheet
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 CDTI Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nobby View Post
I can't speak for all police areas but Thames Valley Police allow 10% plus 1mph over the limit to allow for speedo error.

As our speedo reading when running on standard tyres and without any software adjustment is typically 3 mph lower than actual speed, i.e. at 30mph indicated actual speed is approx 27mph. On that basis if you were clocked at 35mph your indicated speed was probably close to 38mph. Been there got that tee shirt and that's how it was explained on my speed awareness course so unfortunately you were banged to rights too
My speedo against my sat nav on a straight road is optomistic which is the generally the situation on most cars.
another_clean_sheet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th August 2023, 20:17   #7
daveo138
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Tourer

I think ACPO guidelines are 10% + 2mph.

My current company car (Passat) is only 1 - 2 mph optimistic, which is the lowest error I’ve ever seen. I have to be careful, as I’m used to allowing 3 - 4 mph error.
daveo138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th August 2023, 20:19   #8
StewartIngram
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Connoisseur 2.5 V6 auto

The speed limit signs show the start & finish lines of the actual speed limit. In other words, you must not be exceeding the limit as you pass the sign. It is a fact that the majority do exceed the limit there, only slowing down afterwards (caveat - that obviously includes those that don't bother, we aren't talking about those here).
I come from a railway background, where every inch of track (even including sidings) has a speed limit applied and enforced. (Mainly for technical reasons including derailments). Although not a train driver, I've done enough cab rides to appreciate the limits and how they are enforced (most trains have black boxes nowadays, and they do employ radar traps). I've just got used to using the same techniques in my road driving - look at the road ahead, anticipate & slow down BEFORE the sign (and then similarly coming out of the limit, don't accelerate until passing the sign). Sounds boring I know, but that is how it works.
StewartIngram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st September 2023, 11:15   #9
mileshawk56
Posted a thing or two

MGZT

Just to add fuel to my "Green agenda" conspiracy. 50yards from my house there is a speed camera, and since the start of August to this present date 1st September it has been renewed three times, not serviced,renewed (I asked)! Now this camera has been subject locally to many comments/doubts as to whether it was ever operational! For those who want to know its Thames Valley Police area as was the manned mobile camera which I exceeded, that was the old London Road, RAF Benson. Im not moaning, I was driving so pay up and be more aware. Chris.S.
mileshawk56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st September 2023, 13:05   #10
torque2me
Posted a thing or two

MG ZT

Quote:
Originally Posted by mileshawk56 View Post
Just to add fuel to my "Green agenda" conspiracy. 50yards from my house there is a speed camera, and since the start of August to this present date 1st September it has been renewed three times, not serviced,renewed (I asked)! Now this camera has been subject locally to many comments/doubts as to whether it was ever operational! For those who want to know its Thames Valley Police area as was the manned mobile camera which I exceeded, that was the old London Road, RAF Benson. Im not moaning, I was driving so pay up and be more aware. Chris.S.
If they keep renewing it then it sounds like it is in operation otherwise the operators at the control centre would not bother reporting it as N/S.
Kev
torque2me is offline   Reply With Quote