Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Social Forums > Social Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 24th July 2023, 17:19   #1
Borg Warner
I really should get out more.......

None

Default A dilemma.

Whist sorting through some of my late father's belongs back in February I came across an old watch of his. Nothing fancy and not a common name, it worked but not for very long. It's an unusual looking mechanical watch so I thought I see if I could get it repaired.

So.

Popped into a local jewellers who said not, as there were too many broken parts in it that are unavailable. Mmmmm.

Anyway Google is out friend and searched for and contacted a local watch repairer who was happy to give it a look. Popped it into the post and off it went.

He came back and said the part that was broken could not be obtained but he could make one for it. Gave me a reasonable price and I agreed. Repair was made, invoice paid and watch returned.

Only it didn't work. Contacted him and he apologised and said he'd look it it again. Popped it into the post and off it went.

A while later he contacted me said it was done and returned it.

Only it didn't work. Again.

Contacted him, no reply.

Left it a couple of days as he's a one man band .

Contacted him, no reply. Left it a couple of days.

Contacted him a third time, again no reply. At which point my patience ran out and as I'd paid for it on my credit card I decided to go for a section 75, which they agreed and I got my money back. So all good.

Only he then contacted me, apologised profusely for the problem and said he would get the watch fixed. Now I'm a bit of an old softie, besides it's my late father's watch so has memories, so I agreed to take it back to him in person and sort his payment out.

Since then, the beginning of May, I have been contacting him on a regular basis as to the progress of the third repair. Always late getting a reply back and here are the excuses; been ill, looking after the kids, part coming from the States, stuck in customs, it's hot, a funeral. Oh dear.

Anyway got hold of him last week and he said if I repaid the invoice as it was working now he'd drop it into the post.

I'VE PAID YOU, I said. Oh ok.

Anyway watch has been returned and no guesses please as to its operation because it doesn't. No surprise there really.

Clearly even my patience has now worn out, especially after some 5 months. Now do I contact him again and ask for a refund? Just do another section 75, that's if the Credit Card company will process it again, or do I just put it down to a painful and expensive experience?

Oh and slag him off on F/B and his immaculate Google review

One thing for sure he ain't having it back.
Borg Warner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th July 2023, 17:29   #2
Reebs
Owners Club Director

Rover 75 Conn SE V6 / MG ZT 260 SE V8 / MG ZT 180 SE V6

Thanked 6,851 Times in 2,537 Posts

I’d ask for a refund and if that’s not forthcoming, then try and recover your money via the credit card again. After that, give it up as a bad job and keep the watch for sentimental value.
Reebs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th July 2023, 17:37   #3
Borg Warner

None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reebs View Post
I’d ask for a refund and if that’s not forthcoming, then try and recover your money via the credit card again. After that, give it up as a bad job and keep the watch for sentimental value.
Probably what I'll do to be fair.

I'm going to post him a video of it not working so he has proof, by that I mean the second hand does a nice sweep but the minute and hour hand are stationary.

I'll not get into an argument with him as it's not the right thing to do.
Old 24th July 2023, 19:12   #4
stevestrat
This is my second home

ZT260 #243 (resting)

Thanked 4,624 Times in 3,358 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Borg Warner View Post
I'll not get into an argument with him as it's not the right thing to do.
Probably pointless as well.

I was surprised to inherit an uncle's watch. Quality one but nothing particularly special. Stuck a new battery and it works perfectly . . . . slight problem in that I can't get the back to snap back on Unfortunately there isn't what you'd call a jeweller/watch repair place anywhere near me, google "watch repair near me" and it spits out Timpson, see what I mean.

T4 Location Map
stevestrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th July 2023, 06:28   #5
Borg Warner

None

Well I contacted him on Monday and he's not replied. He does say in an automated reply that due to the nature of his business he isn't able to reply straight away, so it's expected.

Probably give him another couple of days, then decide what to do next. Apparently a Section 75 messes up his PayPal account so he can't use it. So he says. Well if I can and do that again, then that is clearly his problem to sort out; not mine.

We shall see.
Old 26th July 2023, 08:20   #6
wraymond
This is my second home

75 Auto 2.5 SE

Thanked 1,680 Times in 1,014 Posts

Steady as you go Gary! Don't forget he knows your address! And, as you have never met him......
Old 26th July 2023, 13:26   #7
Borg Warner

None

Quote:
Originally Posted by wraymond View Post
Steady as you go Gary! Don't forget he knows your address! And, as you have never met him......
Oh I will. I also know where he lives and have been to the place and met him.

To be fair the bloke's tried and I get the impression he doesn't like to give up on things. I'm now minded just to let it go. Water under the bridge and all that.

We'll see.
Old 26th July 2023, 19:24   #8
2L-Diesel
StuartC

Rover 75 Saloon

Default Watch repair

Watch repairers are a dying breed and finding a good one is becoming very difficult.
The problem being that unless the watch is very early or special, then the repair can cost many times more than the watch is worth.
Typically: Silver watch value £20, Gold watch value £200/300
I would try to find one by word of mouth.
Good luck Stuart.
2L-Diesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th July 2023, 08:59   #9
suzublu
This is my second home

rover 75 1.8 vvc club se wedgwood blue

Thanked 7,142 Times in 4,642 Posts

Probably too late now Gary, but I asked on the watch forums for recommendations and was given Watch repairs UK, so sent my chrono with an eta 7750 in for service. Hopefully one to remember for you 😎
They are in lancs

Sent from my SM-A145R using Tapatalk
suzublu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th July 2023, 13:26   #10
Borg Warner

None

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzublu View Post
Probably too late now Gary, but I asked on the watch forums for recommendations and was given Watch repairs UK, so sent my chrono with an eta 7750 in for service. Hopefully one to remember for you 😎
They are in lancs

Sent from my SM-A145R using Tapatalk
Thanks for that.

Strange thing is when not wearing it it works.

He's not replied but I'm not going to chase it any further. I might ask another repairer at sometime in the future, so will bear that in mind mate.

Meanwhile I'm looking around for a replacement. Nothing too high end, I'd be terrified of wearing it in public.

So a casio or timex it will have to be.