Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 24th July 2016, 11:31   #1
Bolin
This is my second home

Rover 75 2.5 V6 Connoisseur SE 4dr manual Wedgewood Blue 2 04-05/06/2001

Default Is it possible to buy a genuine blank Valeo key blade?

As titled - is it possible to buy a genuine Valeo blank key blade?

I had a generic one cut a few years ago but it has worn a worryingly deep groove in it after relatively not much use - I have never seen another key with such wear.

So I'd like a genuine Valeo blade as it'll hopefully not wear so quickly, and will be easier to get someone to cut it (locksmiths can be picky due to some dodgy cheap blades). And I want to get another blade cut anyway as an emergency spare in case the keys get locked in the boot.

However, I have never seen a genuine blank Valeo key blade - they are some on eBay which say 'Valeo' on the blade but if you look closely these are different and are fakes.

Can anybody point me in the direction of a blank genuine blade please? I think early MINIs used the same blade but no joy there either yet.

Thanks, Bolin.
"...the new Rover 75, which is a fabulous car......I think it looks fabulous....It's like sitting in a Rolls Royce......For me, this is the star of the show.....it looks so good" - J. Clarkson, motoring journalist on the launch of the Rover 75 in 1998.
Bolin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th July 2016, 12:45   #2
Plezier
I really should get out more.......

Mercedes C Class CDI estate (2003)

Try you local Xpart dealer of a BMW dealer... make sure your seated when tey tell you the price though.
Old 24th July 2016, 14:07   #3
coab
This is my second home

2007 57 GOLF GTi EDITION 30 DSG

Thanked 1,452 Times in 852 Posts

I bought a blank Valeo key off ebay never used it but its probably fake but you can have it for free and use it as a spare if you wish.
coab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th July 2016, 15:42   #4
Bolin
This is my second home

Rover 75 2.5 V6 Connoisseur SE 4dr manual Wedgewood Blue 2 04-05/06/2001

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plezier View Post
Try you local Xpart dealer of a BMW dealer... make sure your seated when tey tell you the price though.
Yeah, I'm not even going to ask what the current price is. I think it was close to £200 a couple of years ago

At that cost I'd be better off repeatedly buying fake blades and getting them cut whenever the groove gets deep. But having a genuine blade would be a better long-term solution.

(Not heard of anybody else having this problem, hope it's not due to my ignition barrel?)

Quote:
Originally Posted by coab View Post
I bought a blank Valeo key off ebay never used it but its probably fake but you can have it for free and use it as a spare if you wish.
Thank you for your very kind offer, but I'll politely decline as I would still be left without a good genuine blade for everyday use - the one and only original blade I have has a very slight bend in it, it works OK but I'd rather not use that long-term.

Basically I have a cut genuine blade with a very slight bend and a cut fake blade which has worn a groove. I'd like a non-bent, hard-wearing blade for long-term everyday use.
"...the new Rover 75, which is a fabulous car......I think it looks fabulous....It's like sitting in a Rolls Royce......For me, this is the star of the show.....it looks so good" - J. Clarkson, motoring journalist on the launch of the Rover 75 in 1998.
Bolin is offline   Reply With Quote