Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > I.C.E. Forum > Sat Nav Hardware & Software > Factory Fit Highline & Lowline Navigation Systems
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 23rd February 2016, 20:38   #1
Rich Wess
Regular poster

MG ZT-T CDTi

Default Replacing Highline

Given the limitations of the Highline and the fact that the Sat Nav has not worked for a couple of years, I am thinking of replacing the Highline with something a little more up to date. I have been toying with getting a single DIN DAB unit (Have seen a Sony that seems to fit the bill) to replace it with.

I looked at the post below which gives some detail on doing similar and from what I can see it looks pretty simple - a case of removing the head unit, finding the DIN plug behind the aircon controls and plugging this in to the new head unit along with extending the aerial from the boot area. However, I have a Harmon Kardon system installed - would this still be plug and play as described or would additional wiring be involved?
Rich Wess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th February 2016, 07:34   #2
Duotone
This is my second home

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Wess View Post
Given the limitations of the Highline and the fact that the Sat Nav has not worked for a couple of years, I am thinking of replacing the Highline with something a little more up to date. I have been toying with getting a single DIN DAB unit (Have seen a Sony that seems to fit the bill) to replace it with.

I looked at the post below which gives some detail on doing similar and from what I can see it looks pretty simple - a case of removing the head unit, finding the DIN plug behind the aircon controls and plugging this in to the new head unit along with extending the aerial from the boot area. However, I have a Harmon Kardon system installed - would this still be plug and play as described or would additional wiring be involved?

You would need a DAB aerial.

Your 2004 model ZT-T should have ISO plugs behind the air con unit, these will plug into your new head unit.

The Harmon Kardon system will be still be connected through the ISO plugs.

Depending on the make of your new head unit you will need a interface to get your steering wheel contols to work.

Dave T
Duotone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th February 2016, 09:12   #3
Les4048
This is my second home

Rover 75 Tourer/ MG ZT-T 400

Thanked 1,523 Times in 869 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duotone View Post
You would need a DAB aerial.

Your 2004 model ZT-T should have ISO plugs behind the air con unit, these will plug into your new head unit.

The Harmon Kardon system subwill be still be connected through the ISO plugs.

Depending on the make of your new head unit you will need a interface to get your steering wheel contols to work.

Dave T
I don't think the Harmon Kardon will be connected. There's a post somewhere on here how to connect it back in. If my memory serves me right you've to run cables from the speakers to the back of the car then forward again.

Last edited by Les4048; 27th February 2016 at 16:51..
Les4048 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th February 2016, 12:48   #4
Neil Coupland
Gets stuck in

Range Rover Sport, MG TF 160 Aubergine

The Harmon Kardon "should" still be connected as it sits downstream of the ISO connectors for the speakers.
The only issue you might have is where it draws its power from. If that is from the highline loom then you will need to tap into a separate feed as the rest of the highline loom will be dead once disconnected.
Neil Coupland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th February 2016, 15:29   #5
Rich Wess
Regular poster

MG ZT-T CDTi

Thank you for the helpful replies. I realise i will need a DAB aerial and am toying with replacing the redundant sharks fin with something whichvwill serve the purpose.

I did see a how to with regard to the Harmon Kardon and it did seem a ball ache compared to those without this fitted. If the ISO connector is down stream then running speaker wires should unnecessary so the question will be where the power comes from. I am guessing somewhere in the rear? If that is the case should i be able to rigvsomething after i remove the radio tv module within the boot area?
Old 24th February 2016, 23:31   #6
Kedaha
Gets stuck in

MG ZT 190 SE

When I put in an aftermarket headunit, it only powered the door speakers and not the subwoofer in boot.
Kedaha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th February 2016, 09:00   #7
coolcat
This is my second home

Audi Q3 TDI S-Line Quattro

Thanked 12,235 Times in 8,232 Posts

If you have a Highline head unit and HK speakers and sub, if the head unit is replaced for an aftermarket unit the door speakers will still function but the subwoofer won't .
You will need to reinstate the power and also run speaker leads front front to rear.
Harry has a guide on here showing the wiring that needs doing.
http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...85&postcount=1
Don't forget you will also need to extend the aerial from the rear to the new head unit as well and remove the steering wheel interface .

If you have HK speakers and sub factory fitted but running off a non Highline head unit you will not need to do any of the above and all should be plug and play

Last edited by coolcat; 25th February 2016 at 09:03..
coolcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th February 2016, 06:13   #8
coab
This is my second home

2007 57 GOLF GTi EDITION 30 DSG

Thanked 1,452 Times in 852 Posts

I bought a Wince unit for my last car, great bit of kit for £210 and easy to fit. I couldnt get the steering wheel controls to work but as it was touch screen it didnt really make it any harder to twist the volume knob etc
The surround sound was superb especially when playing movies via the SD slot!
coab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th February 2016, 14:38   #9
Rich Wess
Regular poster

MG ZT-T CDTi

Thank you for all of the information so far. I realise that a digital aerial will be necessary and that I will have to run this from the boot - probably along by the doors where I can pull the carpet away and then by the steering column.

I have looked at the 'how to' mentioned and it looks pretty comprehensive. However, the photographs don't show for some reason - these would be useful so I can confirm what I am doing is correct. Any ideas how to see these?
Old 26th February 2016, 16:13   #10
Duotone
This is my second home

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Wess View Post
Thank you for all of the information so far. I realise that a digital aerial will be necessary and that I will have to run this from the boot - probably along by the doors where I can pull the carpet away and then by the steering column.

I have looked at the 'how to' mentioned and it looks pretty comprehensive. However, the photographs don't show for some reason - these would be useful so I can confirm what I am doing is correct. Any ideas how to see these?
The dab aerial can be windscreen mount, which would mean a cable direct from screen to head unit.

The better quality dab aerials are roof mounted, and this could be fitted instead of the Sharks fin aerial. The cable would be run under the roof lining and then down the A pilar.

Can you show us a link as to which thread has the pictures missing.

Dave T
Duotone is offline   Reply With Quote