Notices

Old 15th September 2023, 07:01   #31
Gate Keeper
This is my second home

4X4

Thanked 7,017 Times in 4,160 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by planenut View Post
Ah Phil, have you not heard the plaintive cry of the natives running loose on Slough High Street on a Saturday afternoon? That's nearer to me than Kenya, and I realize what would be nicer.

I love flying, gliding is magical, but costs have to be considered, and the sight of the kettle next to the tea bags generally persuades me otherwise.
Good morning Fred, you are blessed with good health and if you have the money then spend it on what you enjoy doing best, don’t worry about leaving it to anyone else.

There is another member here who on his retirement paid £5,000 to go up on a jolly in a Spitfire. His wife was happy with him spending the money and he had the time of his life.

After 12 months of annus horribillus we have decided to spend more on ourselves

What next for you?
Gate Keeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th September 2023, 07:39   #32
planenut
Regional Secretary

Rover 1.8T Tourer

Thanked 2,036 Times in 1,264 Posts

Phil, I have delved into flying in a Spitfire as a venture. What is shown as a 30 minute experience is about £3000, that increases by about £500 per 5 minutes.
As introduced to us by another member, the only two seat Hurricane is based at White Waltham near Maidenhead, roughly the same pricing.

The insurance costs must be horrendous as with fuel, the value of those aircraft are immense.

I am sitting here, drinking my tea.
planenut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th September 2023, 09:12   #33
KWIL
Precise

Rover 75 Tourer 2.5KV6 Connoisseur SE

Overhaul period of the Merlin is I believe 500Hrs and it must cost a significant sum to carry out the work. Aircraft value many millions.

You can almost hear the coin outflow as you fly but you cannot beat that Merlin sound!
KWIL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th September 2023, 09:31   #34
planenut
Regional Secretary

Rover 1.8T Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by KWIL View Post
Overhaul period of the Merlin is I believe 500Hrs and it must cost a significant sum to carry out the work. Aircraft value many millions.

You can almost hear the coin outflow as you fly but you cannot beat that Merlin sound!
It was so good to hear your recollections Ken.
Old 15th September 2023, 10:43   #35
Rogue
I really should get out more.......

75 CDT SE 160 Saloon

Thanked 1,096 Times in 774 Posts

Duxford also have historic aircraft flights available and oddly the Mustang flight is a lot cheaper at £2250..
https://www.aerialcollective.co.uk/experiences/
Went up in their Dragon Rapide a few years ago but that was only £100 if i remember correctly so the price has not gone up over the years.
https://www.classic-wings.co.uk/dragon-rapide-flights/

Glutton for punishment --- Previously ... 2.6 SD1 x 2, 3.5 SD1, 820S, 820Si x2, 216 Gsi, 220T saloon, 414, 45 1.4 x2 and now a Cowley 75 CDT

Last edited by Rogue; 15th September 2023 at 10:45..
Rogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th September 2023, 12:00   #36
planenut
Regional Secretary

Rover 1.8T Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogue View Post
Duxford also have historic aircraft flights available and oddly the Mustang flight is a lot cheaper at £2250..
https://www.aerialcollective.co.uk/experiences/
Went up in their Dragon Rapide a few years ago but that was only £100 if i remember correctly so the price has not gone up over the years.
https://www.classic-wings.co.uk/dragon-rapide-flights/
The price of an "experience" is affected by the availability of control access, the Mustang does not have dual control, they are all great.
Old 15th September 2023, 12:34   #37
WillyHeckaslike
This is my second home

Rovers 75 & 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gate Keeper View Post
Good morning Steve, I didn’t know that, I have learned something new, thank you for reminding me about the call of the Go-Away bird, how special. Have you any plans for the weekend?
Hi Phil. I've been putting off tackling a very neglected conifer in the back garden so weather permitting I might make a start on it. They are very unforgiving and it has grown into a monster. I would happily pay a tree surgeon to deal with it but there is a problem with access atm. Other than through the house access to the rear garden is via the garage on the side of the house and it is currently a bit full and impassable. My sorn R75 on the drive also impedes the opening of the garage door. All 3 of the things mentioned are a bit of an embarrassment for me to think about but in mitigation other more pressing matters have had to be given precedence over recent years. Plus further in my defence I don't know of anyone with a garage on the side of a pre-war semi who uses it for parking their daily driver in.

Back on topic. For many years an ambition of mine was to have a trip in a U-2 spy plane. Flying at ~ 70,000ft while wearing a spacesuit was not so much the appeal. It was the view and the thought of looking way down below to observe swarming Russian fighter jets sent to intercept but unable to do so as they hit their max height ceilings. Even the Chinese weather barroons of 2023 over the US could not outrange a U-2. Click
WillyHeckaslike is offline   Reply With Quote