Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 5th February 2012, 14:08   #11
stevemcp

Rover 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by pab View Post
Thread moved to the technical help forum,redirection left in the old location.

The T-piece is two pieces of moulded plastic,they fail on the joint which is central in the construction.

Below is a picture of the stainless steel version,which has been fitted to my car for over three years without a problem.

I have just become the owner of a Rover 75 1.8, previously Rover 620 auto. I loved the car from the moment I drove it but like many here am experiencing coolant leaks. I know the head gasket etc has been done recently (paper work to prove it) and so I am assuming the problem might be the much maligned t-piece. Could I get possibly get the details of where to purchase the stainless steel version please?
stevemcp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th February 2012, 14:11   #12
vindaloo
Ex Owner

MX-5 ND2 RF

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevemcp View Post
I have just become the owner of a Rover 75 1.8, previously Rover 620 auto. I loved the car from the moment I drove it but like many here am experiencing coolant leaks. I know the head gasket etc has been done recently (paper work to prove it) and so I am assuming the problem might be the much maligned t-piece. Could I get possibly get the details of where to purchase the stainless steel version please?
You have a PM
vindaloo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th February 2012, 14:25   #13
stevemcp

Rover 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by vindaloo View Post
You have a PM
Hi vindaloo, many thanks for that, have just emailed the gentleman in question. Any advice whilst I am waiting for the new part?
Old 5th February 2012, 15:04   #14
vindaloo
Ex Owner

MX-5 ND2 RF

Quote:
Hi vindaloo, many thanks for that, have just emailed the gentleman in question. Any advice whilst I am waiting for the new part?
Quite a few things you can do to try & prevent coolant loss on the 1.8, how far you go is up to you as some money needs to be spent to cover all the bases. Here is a list of things I do or have done. It may not be a complete list just my opinion.

1. If you have any doubt about your header tank cap replace it with a new '140' cap or at the very least replace the 2 'O' rings with Viton rings.

2. Replace the plastic 'T' piece at the top of the radiator with a steel one taking care not to overtighten any Jubilee clips you use. Try and use Jubilee clips without the serrations on the inside to avoid digging into your hoses or use the original clips if they are in good condition.

3. Drive carefully until the engine is fully warmed up.

4. On the 1.8T allow the car to idle for 20-30 seconds after each journey before switching off the engine.

5. Ensure you check the coolant level religiously and do not overfill the expansion tank. Only ever check the coolant when the engine is stone cold. In dull light/ evening shining a bright torch up against the top of the tank near the cap will enable you to 'read-off' the level from the side without removing the cap which prevents weakening of the 'O' rings.

6. If you find it too tedious to keep checking the coolant level manually, purchase & fit a coolant level sensor kit.

7. Fit a Digital Temperature Gauge or use the on-board diagnostics to display the actual coolant temperature & ignore the onboard temperature gauge which is dangerously useless.

8. Replace your plastic inlet manifold with an alloy manifold from a VVC engine as fitted to the MG TF.

9. Say a prayer every time you drive your car

I hope this helps.

Last edited by vindaloo; 5th February 2012 at 15:06..
Old 5th February 2012, 16:02   #15
stevemcp

Rover 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by vindaloo View Post
Quite a few things you can do to try & prevent coolant loss on the 1.8, how far you go is up to you as some money needs to be spent to cover all the bases. Here is a list of things I do or have done. It may not be a complete list just my opinion.

1. If you have any doubt about your header tank cap replace it with a new '140' cap or at the very least replace the 2 'O' rings with Viton rings.

2. Replace the plastic 'T' piece at the top of the radiator with a steel one taking care not to overtighten any Jubilee clips you use. Try and use Jubilee clips without the serrations on the inside to avoid digging into your hoses or use the original clips if they are in good condition.

3. Drive carefully until the engine is fully warmed up.

4. On the 1.8T allow the car to idle for 20-30 seconds after each journey before switching off the engine.

5. Ensure you check the coolant level religiously and do not overfill the expansion tank. Only ever check the coolant when the engine is stone cold. In dull light/ evening shining a bright torch up against the top of the tank near the cap will enable you to 'read-off' the level from the side without removing the cap which prevents weakening of the 'O' rings.

6. If you find it too tedious to keep checking the coolant level manually, purchase & fit a coolant level sensor kit.

7. Fit a Digital Temperature Gauge or use the on-board diagnostics to display the actual coolant temperature & ignore the onboard temperature gauge which is dangerously useless.

8. Replace your plastic inlet manifold with an alloy manifold from a VVC engine as fitted to the MG TF.

9. Say a prayer every time you drive your car

I hope this helps.
Helps, it is a god send!!
1. Just had a look at the rings they are 'dead' so order new Viton ones off ebay £3.55 bargain if they help solve the problem
2. Have contacted Gerry re the T-piece will be done soon as
3. Do this already, check
4. Not a turbo
5. Loud and clear, will do
6, 7 & 8. Lets see if 1 & 2 make a difference!
9. Do that already, check!
Old 5th February 2012, 16:26   #16
COLVERT
This is my second home

R75 Saloon.

Thanked 2,167 Times in 1,816 Posts

Quote:
Helps, it is a god send!!
1. Just had a look at the rings they are 'dead' so order new Viton ones off ebay £3.55 bargain if they help solve the problem
2. Have contacted Gerry re the T-piece will be done soon as
3. Do this already, check
4. Not a turbo
5. Loud and clear, will do
6, 7 & 8. Lets see if 1 & 2 make a difference!
9. Do that already, check!
Number 9. ( Pray. Lol. )

Doesn't work !!!

Been praying now for 5 years for something to go wrong so that I can ask for help on here but nothing ever does. :shrug

I'll try again tomorrow.

Colvert.
COLVERT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th February 2012, 17:07   #17
vindaloo
Ex Owner

MX-5 ND2 RF

Quote:
Originally Posted by COLVERT View Post
Number 9. ( Pray. Lol. )

Doesn't work !!!

Been praying now for 5 years for something to go wrong so that I can ask for help on here but nothing ever does. :shrug

I'll try again tomorrow.

Colvert.
The day you stop praying it will all go wrong no doubt
Old 10th February 2012, 21:56   #18
ag820i
Regular poster

Rover75 saloon

I have found the long pipe down past the exhaust to the thermostat seems to delaminate inside. I've replaced 2 and the cars only done 46,000. I have fitted a flexible stainless steel pipe and silicone ends from Silicone intakes in Colorado. Cost:£60 including customs duty and carriage. Cost of Rover rubber pipe? £132.00. No contest!
Works well.
Just need to fit the digital temp gauge now.
ag820i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th February 2012, 22:04   #19
Poppy
Banned

75 club 1.8 petrol.

How much is the Gerry T Piece...
Poppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th February 2012, 10:38   #20
stevemcp

Rover 75

Turns out, having consulted with Gerry, that I seem to have one of the 75's that does not have a t-piece. I have however, changed the o-rings on the header cap with Viton rings and I seem to have greatly reduced the coolant loss. Lost about a cupful this week, maybe a bit less! I have noticed a difference in the intensity of the heater, seems 'warmer' at a lower setting, any chance this is related?

So now thinking of getting the coolant level sensor kit...any advice on best place to buy etc? Is it difficult to fit? Again many thanks for all the advice so far, it has been priceless!