Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 29th July 2007, 14:39   #1
biggles
Loves to post

Rover 75 2.5 V6 conn

Default E85 fuel conversion on KV6

Hi all,

Having had a few environmentally oriented discussions with friends during this summer the thought came up wether it might be possible to convert my cars to run on E85 fuel (85% ethanol 15% gasoline). The reason for doing so would not be to reduce fuel costs as I doubt that there are any great savings given the fuel prices of today where the lower cost of E85 is roughly equivalent to the rise in consumption (~20%). The gain would come from being more environmentally friendly and hopefully getting a few more horsepowers in the process.

One major issue that need to be addressed is to increase the flow of injected fuel which can be accomplished by:

1) Extending the time the injector is kept open. There are devices that are connected between the injector and the ECU that does this without needing to reprogram the ECU. However, at maximum developed power the injector is typically open almost all the time during intake cycle even when running on normal fuel, leading to the engine running lean in the same situation when running on E85. Running lean will at least have a performance impact or worst case causing valve damage due to combustion chamber temperatures.

2) Increasing the fuel pressure to the injector by replacing the high pressure fuel pump/regulator. This appearently works very well in the various mods I have seen for the ingine in the M20 enginge of my BMW 325. With a variable regulator you can set the pressure for either unleaded 95 or E85. Even in the case there is no need to reprogram the ECU.

3) Replace the injectors with higher capacity ones and reprogram the ECU to take advantage of this. This way has the potential to provide the best results but is also very expensive and complex.

There is also the question if there are any parts of the fuel delivery system that might not agree with the high ethanol content. Fuel lines are not that hard to replace but what about the fuel pumps, the plastic intake manifold and so forth?

Anyone here who has any opinions on the feasabilty of converting a KV6 75 to E85?

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Rover 75 2.5 V6 Connoisseur
biggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th July 2007, 19:38   #2
miketata
Loves to post

rover 75/jeep patriot crd

downunder we had a few 75 failures of the fuel system using e10. MGR stated the car was compatible, but several breakdowns occurred with claims the pump had expired due to meltdown. I wondered at the time whether it was being confused with the usual fuel filter failure. In any case I have stayed away from ethanol as a result.
miketata is offline   Reply With Quote