Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 18th May 2007, 09:44   #1
Kiwirover
Loves to post

1999 75 Con SE 2.5 Auto

Default Alarm Help

Help… My alarm doesn’t seem to be working and it would appear that this has been the case for some time. I had just assumed that the dash indicator wasn’t working and it wasn’t until I read some posts on this board and did some tests that I realised all was not well.
The central locking is functioning correctly and the indicators flash three times. But the dash board indicator does not illuminate flash or do anything.
I have tried locking myself in the car and opening the bonnet but no alarm activates.
I have tried locking the car with the drivers door partially closed but no warning beep is sounded.

I understand that the alarm and central locking is controlled via the BCU. Could the alarm have been disabled via the T4 diagnostic gear by a previous owner? Is this even possible – I wouldn't have thought so. This is just a perimeter alarm as I do not have the volumetric type.
I have checked all fuses both in the cabin and in the engine bay but they are all ok. I have also disconnected the battery for an hour to "reset" the BCU etc.

I don’t relish visiting the “friendly” (and expensive) agents.
I just had a second key ordered from them at a cost of NZ$750 (that’s about 250 quid!) plus they want the car for an hour to sync it. On top of that there’s a six week turnaround ex UK.

I hope there’s something I have missed?

Can anyone advise? I understand that it may not be appropriate to discuss this topic on the board, please feel free to email me direct.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by Kiwirover; 3rd June 2007 at 09:12..
Kiwirover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th May 2007, 10:17   #2
driverjgp
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Club 2.5 V6 Auto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiwirover View Post
Help… My alarm doesn’t seem to be working and it would appear that this has been the case for some time. I had just assumed that the dash indicator wasn’t working and it wasn’t until I read some posts on this board and did some tests that I realised all was not well.
The central locking is functioning correctly and the indicators flash three times. But the dash board indicator does not illuminate flash or do anything.
I have tried locking myself in the car and opening the bonnet but no alarm activates.
I have tried locking the car with the drivers door partially closed but no warning beep is sounded.

I understand alarms and central locking is controlled via the BCU. Could the alarm have been disabled via the T4 diagnostic gear by a previous owner? Is this even possible – I didn’t think so. This is just a perimeter alarm as I do not have the volumetric type.
I have checked all fuses both in the cabin and in the engine bay but they are all ok. I have also disconnected the battery for an hour to "reset" the BCU etc.

I don’t relish visiting the “friendly” (and expensive) agents.
I just had a second key ordered from them at a cost of NZ$750 (that’s about 250 quid!) plus they want the car for an hour to sync it. On top of that there’s a six week turnaround ex UK.

I hope there’s something I have missed?

Can anyone advise? I understand that it may not be appropriate to discuss this topic on the board, please feel free to email me direct.

Thanks in advance.
Mmmm never heard that one before.....I'm sure someone will be along soon to assist you in this matter.

Jason Player
Woodbridge,
Suffolk

Money can't buy happiness. But it sure makes misery easier to live with.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Rover 75 Club Auto K-Series 2.5 Litre Quad Cam 24 Valve in Steel Blue December 2000 Cowley build.
driverjgp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th May 2007, 13:46   #3
Moonstone
Loves to post

Rover 75 Tourer

The only reason I can think a user would disconnect the alarm would be spurious triggering due to faulty boot/bonnet/door sensors, but you would be seeing a dash warning if that was the case and it would be easier to just "fix" the sensor.

Maybe you just have a faulty BCU. I'm sure T4 diagnostic system can talk to this. I've seen an icon for the alarm on a screen dump.

Here's a similar thread, also with a NZ poster:
http://forums.mg-rover.org/showpost....91&postcount=8
Moonstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th May 2007, 13:48   #4
shifter
Avid contributor

Mg Ztt

though i cant help, mine has just lost the ability to give a siren-If i 'break in'
the hazards flash but no sound at all!
Old 18th May 2007, 14:02   #5
Cuda-uk
Avid contributor

Rover 75 Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by shifter View Post
though i cant help, mine has just lost the ability to give a siren-If i 'break in'
the hazards flash but no sound at all!
Have a look where the pollen filter/ecu are kept, as it is possible that the wiring may have been dislodged, as mine didn't work after replacing the filter. A two minute fix.
Cuda-uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th May 2007, 16:14   #6
Kiwirover
Loves to post

1999 75 Con SE 2.5 Auto

Thanks for the ideas and other thoughts chaps. I will have a look around the engine bay ECU for anything amiss in the morning (well it’s already morning here - 4:14am actually) so I am off to bed now and will get back to you on the morrow.
At least I have something else to go on...

Thanks
Graham

Last edited by Kiwirover; 18th May 2007 at 16:21..
Old 19th May 2007, 02:45   #7
Kiwirover
Loves to post

1999 75 Con SE 2.5 Auto

Ok. I’ve taken the ECU out, checked the connecting block for corrosion (all clean) and can find nothing else in the area apart from a very grungy looking pollen filter (to be changed).

There are two other plugs next to the ECU which are not connected to anything.
One plug has four pins – two orange and two black wires
The other plug has two pins – one black and a red/white wire
Any idea what these are for?

Thanks again for your responses

Last edited by Kiwirover; 19th May 2007 at 02:55..
Old 19th May 2007, 09:01   #8
Christopher
Owners Club Director

Rover 75 V6 Copperleaf Red, MG ZTT 190+ Lagoon & Early MGF

Kia ora!

One of the plugs there is for the battery back up for the alarm - don't know about the other ...

in banana veritas
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th May 2007, 01:53   #9
Kiwirover
Loves to post

1999 75 Con SE 2.5 Auto

Thanks for all the responses chaps.

Well it would appear that the alarm has been disabled by the previous owner and will need a visit to the local highway robbers and their T4 to reactivate and of course pay their fee.

I suppose I can take some comfort in the knowledge that throughout the process I have learnt a lot more about the 75 and that I don’t have a battery backup or the secondary siren. On the other hand I do have two "now I know what they are for" plugs in the plenum…

Thanks again,
Graham
Old 20th May 2007, 07:08   #10
webteb

Rover 75 saloon

Hi Kiwi Rover,
I'm over in Blenheim an have exactly the same problem. I tried the Rover dealers in CHCH and they thought the alarm wasn't fitted and said it was a market (mine's imported from Singapore) option. I lost faith at that point.

I'm afraid I think the only option is to have access to an actual T4 with someone who is actually trained on the 75.

If you have decent Rover support over in Wellington, ask them if they heve full T4 diagnostic capabiltiy with market option settings.

Sorry this is not a fix, but after a great deal of DIY car disassembly and checking, it's the only advise I have.
webteb is offline   Reply With Quote