Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 10th November 2016, 14:00   #1
Abott10

Thanked 1,917 Times in 1,328 Posts
Thumbs up Tools, Techniques and DIY Gizmos.

Having experienced an unusual freak incident with my MG ZT-T 1.8t which ripped out the nearside front Wheel Arch Liner along with the ABS Sensor Cable a few days ago, checking the supply to and the readings from the actual Sensor is difficult because of the design of the Blue Connectors, both male and female.

With that in mind I removed part of the ABS Sensor Cable and its Blue Connector from a Scrap Yard Rover 75. I made up this little DIY Diagnostic to enable the ABS Sensors to be checked using a Multimeter quickly.

You need to separate the Blue Connector and use the Male part to check the cable to the actual Sensor on the wheel hub assembly. The female part of the blue connector can be used to check the power supply from the loom in the engine compartment. :~

Although both cables each side of the Blue Connector look undamaged, the lack of a reading from the actual sensor on the hub makes me suspect the cable was stressed during the incident and possibly severed the electrical connection somewhere in that part of the cable or Sensor itself. Having an identical car closeby to check its readings to use as a control comparison helps too... Prior to the incident, the ABS behaved itself well as it's one of the things I check on a newly acquired used car. Simply by driving it at say 30 mpg on damp or wet grass and applying the brakes firmly and feeling the ABS pulses on the brake pedal as the system does its stuff.
Abott10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th November 2016, 22:12   #2
Mike Noc
This is my second home

Rover 75 CDT Manual Connoisseur SE, Rover 75 CDT Automatic Connoisseur SE & a Freelander Td4.

Thanked 3,119 Times in 2,247 Posts

A plug and socket from a scrapper, some old speaker cable and a bit of chocblock.

The original idea, made up a few years ago, was to have a long enough cable to plug any sensor into the OSF ABS plug and use the speedometer as a diagnostic, but the chocblock was added after French Mike's suggestion of measuring the individual pulses with a voltmeter.

Last edited by Mike Noc; 12th October 2018 at 21:22..
Mike Noc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th November 2016, 10:52   #3
clf
This is my second home

MG ZT CDTi

Thanked 2,657 Times in 1,973 Posts

Thats a clever and really neat idea, I do love things like these. However I do wonder if such things like these are available for your meter?

Mine came with the analogue multi meter I have.

It is not gloss primer .............. it is duct tape silver!
clf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th November 2016, 11:44   #4
clf
This is my second home

MG ZT CDTi

Thanked 2,657 Times in 1,973 Posts

I do love the inventiveness and ingenuity of gizmos like that though. On the face of it, it does look like a one trick pony, but it isnt It does allow you to use the croc clips for other things. I only posted to show a possible alternative.

It is not gloss primer .............. it is duct tape silver!
clf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2017, 20:40   #5
COLVERT
This is my second home

R75 Saloon.

Thanked 2,167 Times in 1,816 Posts

Making up gadgets must be an OLD geezers thing.

I do the same.

We both come from an age of DIY ers on old cars where you did all sorts of things to get them running or improve on the tools of the day.

I remember that a friends father used to put burning paper under his car engine to start it up.--- It was around 1950 though. Lol.

PS. I did a 5 year apprenticeship as a Tool Maker which helped when it came to messing around with bits of metal though. With several months training on all of the machines in the tool room.

Last edited by COLVERT; 5th January 2017 at 20:44..
COLVERT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2017, 20:49   #6
squire
Posted a thing or two

MGB GT, 2 Morris Minor Travellers

Thumbs up

Ingenuity, the mother of invention. That's what they used to say.
squire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2017, 23:28   #7
Tony Sirett
Avid contributor

Rover 75 tour

Quote:
Originally Posted by MGJohn View Post
Sadly far too many UK youngsters today have ambitions to be famous, or, work in the meejah or that most parasitic of professions, Law in all its multiplicity of forms. Even for the brighter ones, that has to change.
I must be lucky with my youngest daughter, shes only 14 but when i asked her what job she wanted to do (her options are coming up at school) she said i really dont know, but i'll work hard and try my best at what ever i do.
Proud of her, dont care if she fails her exams, i know she will give 100% she always does, what more can you ask for
Tony Sirett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th January 2017, 19:03   #8
COLVERT
This is my second home

R75 Saloon.

Thanked 2,167 Times in 1,816 Posts

After my apprenticeship I moved into the drawing office and ended up in the design section drawing weird and wonderful bits, like you mention, that went into the Rapier Missile system.

My bit was the guidance system on the front of the launcher and the scanner in the dome at the top.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Rapier missile launcher..jpg (120.6 KB, 58 views)

Last edited by COLVERT; 7th January 2017 at 12:48..
COLVERT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th January 2017, 20:44   #9
rockerbox
Avid contributor

MG ZT/T

I spent several years designing control systems for rocket/spacecraft control, all done with computer control of course, some contributed to the ESA. Britain is very highly regarded for it's software engineering. But I must say that if the actual real engineering wasn't up to scratch then no matter how clever your control design, if you didn't have the excellence of British engineered components then you didn't have the feed back and the control needed. So don't ever forget the skills we have here on both sides of the coin.
rockerbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th January 2017, 10:29   #10
ceedy
This is my second home

All Trophy Blue ,ZT260#50 , ZT CDTI Auto, ZR105+ and 1.8T Firefrost spoiling the Set .

Thanked 1,214 Times in 768 Posts

A slightly more involved Electrikery thingy I knocked up years ago ..

Only a Dodgy rough Sketch ..

tba

And a parts list from Maplins..and around the home .

Auto reset Fuse ............ AK12N
Resistor 300R...........2 off
Red Button push switch ......JB00A
Black Button Push switch ...JB01B
Bicolour LED .....................QY83E
LED holder to suit .............YY40T
Long case .........................FT31J
large RED croc clip............HF23A
Large Black Croc Clip.........HF23B
small black croc clip .........FK35Q
twin core household type lighting type wire about 5 metres ( to suit length of car) as long as its tough and flexible enough.
odd bits of Wire
Steel rod/long Nail for probe , stick some tape /heat shrink over most of it to stop any shorting out when probing .
The resistors are just to keep the LED from Blowing, so around the 300 ohms range will do .

If you can understand it all , piece of cake to knock up.

Just clip it on the battery and then using the long lead go around the car give any suspect electrical points a good probing ..

Basic circuit is here you can make it however you feel.

The resetable fuse is in case you short it out it will pop and reset after a few seconds

You could just use a fuse holder and blade fuse.

The probe is a bit of steel/brass rod with a point on the end.

NB .If you don't get the RED light testing on a known 12volt point the LED is wired the wrong way round.

Using the probe is quite straight forward by clipping the larger croc clips on the battery

And just using the probe on any connection yuo want to check, the 2 colour LED will show RED if the probed point is live
or show green if it is at earth.

You can also ( with care) Press either the RED button to inject 12 v into the probed point or press the black button to earth the probed point.

The small croc clip is just in case you need another earth point if you are probing some part that is isolated, eg ..mounted in plastic.

It doesn't measure Voltage or amps, use your multimeter for that .

Hope this may help someone... I've found it invaluable..

Chris
Wifey's Zr105, MY CDTI & 260 #50 and
Number One sons 1.8T in Firefrost
When I were a lad
Zero to 142 in 10.25 secs at the Pod on my Blown Norton.
210 Kart Champ in 70's

Last edited by ceedy; 20th October 2018 at 17:50.. Reason: put image back in after photobucket
ceedy is offline   Reply With Quote