Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Closed Thread

Old 8th January 2008, 19:42   #1
Departed
Retired

--

Default Best way to repair seat foam?

Hi.

Anyone any recommendations for repairing sponge foam, like used in seats?
My drivers seat left hand side in the seat back has split.

I did have a plan to use one from a passenger side seat (thanks to Martin W) but forgot about the airbag cutout. The drivers seat foam on that set is the same as mine.

So I could buy another (don't know how much) or glue the dmagaed one. But I need to know the right adhesive that won't eat the foam, and will stay stuck. Anyone know enough about adhesives to advise?
Old 8th January 2008, 21:11   #2
JohnDotCom

Rover 75 FaceLift Tourer CDTi 170BHP Auto ConnSE 2005 Model Starlight Silver

Give Les at SMC a ring,
He is recycling Cars and may have the seat Swab you require.
Old 9th January 2008, 00:40   #3
Greeners

MG-ZTT

Thanked 1,249 Times in 1,036 Posts

There would appear to be a number of variations in seat bases. Certainly when I looked into the rear seat base to put a rear cup holder in I think there were at least 6 different types. I think this reflects the profile of the foam relative to the seat cover. You need a couple of good pairs of pliers to get the 'hog rings' off too.
Old 9th January 2008, 12:39   #4
Departed
Retired

--

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnDotCom View Post
Give Les at SMC a ring,
He is recycling Cars and may have the seat Swab you require.
Thanks for the suggestion. But out of a sample of two of the age that are likely to be available, they both have the same split. So I particularly want to repair or replace.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greeners View Post
There would appear to be a number of variations in seat bases. Certainly when I looked into the rear seat base to put a rear cup holder in I think there were at least 6 different types. I think this reflects the profile of the foam relative to the seat cover. You need a couple of good pairs of pliers to get the 'hog rings' off too.
Good tip. If I decide to get a new foam I'll make sure I get the right one. I've already stripped the seats so the Hog rings are off (I thought the work of doing a complete set of seats in an afternoon had made me achy and tired. Turned out it was flu that's had me in bed for two days!!). I'm tempted to use cable ties as a replacement as they'll be much easier to fit (and I have a large bag of them). Ideally hog rings need a proper tool for fitting and ideally need new ones.
Closed Thread