Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 7th January 2008, 21:17   #1
Gman2
Posted a thing or two

ZTT+ 1.8T, mgf 1.8

Default changing rear pads/discs

I'm thinking of attemting for the first time changing my rear discs and pads. I've got the Haynes manual and have looked at the guides on the forum. However I'm aware that caliper wind back tools are available that apparently greatly ease the process but there's no mention of this tool in these guides. Can anyone shed any light on this and any general tips would be greatly received.

Gman2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th January 2008, 21:45   #2
oddsocks
Regular poster

75 CDT 03 plate

I did mine (75 CDT not ZT) some months ago. If you are replacing the discs and pads, the way I did it was to open the bleed nipple, use the old pad and a screwdriver against the disc to force the piston back in (there appears to be no need to turn the piston). If you are changing everything it also makes sense to change the brake fluid as well.
i posted my response on the other forum some months ago ...

here - (Link removed search on .org )

my post copied here in purple

Well, the weather was excellent today so as posted earlier I have replaced all 4 discs and pads. In all it took 3 hours (not rushing) including full fluid bleed, handbrake adjustment and a cup of tea (delivered). I've got the haynes manual and the instructions were simple and accurate. No special tools are needed other than a 7mm hex socket, T50 torx (for the disc) and a torque wrench that can do 28Nm (7mm hex caliper pins), 33 (T50 torx) 64 (13mm rear caliper holder) 100 (15mm front caliper holder) and 125 (17mm wheel nuts) - all values are for my 75 (confirm yours).

My pads had not worn enough to wear the indicators so these were just removed and refitted.

The road test made me realise that before I must have had a very slightly distorted disc as now there is no pulsation through the pedal.. I haven't stress tested the EBC brakes, but their 'Brake in' surface coating appears to work well.

some months later the EBC (green) brake performance is still excellent. I used to think my wife's audi had good brakes but now when I drive hers it seems to take longer to stop than in the 75

Last edited by Kandyman; 7th January 2008 at 22:01.. Reason: Link removed and PM'ed
oddsocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th January 2008, 22:03   #3
Kandyman
Banned

ROVER 75 2.5 V6 Connoisseur SE Limousine 2004

I to have removed and fitted EBC grooved discs and green EBC pads and to date i have not had any problems and the brakes feel so much better.
Kandyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th January 2008, 07:42   #4
The_Monk
I really should get out more.......

-

might be a dumb question but how long do brake pads typically last? Mine have been on over 3 years and seem to be still going strong. The car has only done 30k.
The_Monk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th January 2008, 10:26   #5
T-Cut
This is my second home

Rover75 and Mreg Corsa.

Thanked 3,660 Times in 2,924 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Monk View Post
might be a dumb question but how long do brake pads typically last? Mine have been on over 3 years and seem to be still going strong. The car has only done 30k.
It's the 'How long is a piece of string?' question. Some drivers can get through brake pads in less than 10,000 miles, others will see 50,000 and more. It depends on driving style and brake useage. As long as the pad wear warning doesn't pop up, they've plenty of life in them. When the indicator finally shows, make plans to have the pads (and the brake wear sensor) replaced. On the other hand, hand brake shoes should last the life of the car under normal circumstances.

TC
T-Cut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th January 2008, 12:10   #6
JohnDotCom

Rover 75 FaceLift Tourer CDTi 170BHP Auto ConnSE 2005 Model Starlight Silver

I'm on my Third set from New (2005) but as its an Automatic I do think they tend to wear out Quicker.
Oh that averages about 28,000 miles a Set on front of mine.
JohnDotCom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th January 2008, 07:46   #7
oddsocks
Regular poster

75 CDT 03 plate

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Monk View Post
I replace my pads and discs almost as a matter of course when I buy a car - I buy cars at auction at about 80k miles with a service history and keep them for about 3 years and expect to have to do it in that time so do it at the start. My 75 had done 85k and the discs were about 1mm thicker than the minimum spec in haynes. Checking the service history that came with the car (ex company so probable lots of motorway) it had had new front pads at 56k but never any new rear ones - the front ones were not worn much, the rear ones were about to get to the wear indicator (but not bad after 85k!)
oddsocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th January 2008, 09:16   #8
sylvester
Loves to post

Rover 75 Tourer

Default Brake wear rate

I replaced my front pads at 50k when the sensor came on. Rear pads should last considerably longer. I sold our 218 STD with 180,000 on the clock and still had its original drum brake shoes in place.
Worth shopping round for too - I was quoted £65 but paid eventually £25 for a set of genuine rover pads for the 75 tourer.
The brake pistons can be pushed back into place with a G clamp
sylvester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th January 2008, 10:14   #9
tapped
Gets stuck in

Ex-75 1.8T, 2.5V6 and CDT + ZT 190 & V8!

What method have people found best for sorting out the mating surface on the front discs? Mine's got the pulsation so I'm going to treat it to some new ones, just keen not to get the pulsation back again!

Cheer
tapped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th January 2008, 10:27   #10
JohnFol
Gets stuck in

75 Conn SE - X***VWY

Just going back to the caliper wind back question, I use a get of g-clamps and something to protect the piston, like the old pad.
JohnFol is offline   Reply With Quote