Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 5th January 2008, 13:37   #11
sworks
Been absent for a while…

Rover 75 Tourer, Classic mini Cooper S, Abarth 595 competizione, MG TF and a Hyundai Tucson PHEV

Thanked 1,686 Times in 1,040 Posts

most manufacturers use dmf's now. There is a measured amount of movement that is allowed as to if it is servicable or not. Generally the ones fitted to Rovers are very good. Hyundai had problems with the Santa Fe and reverted back to single mass and Ford have big problems. If you buy a starter motor for a ford there is a disclaimer that they will not honour the warranty if there are any signs of dmf dust particles

'Marmite' Possibly one of the most famous 75 tourers produced! left the production line as the last of only Three Rover 75 tourers produced in Trophy Yellow. 48 hours later Longbridge closed. The last sold ordered 75 Tourer. Paid for by the Phoenix Four and handed over by John Towers to the Warwickshire Northampton Air ambulance service as a Rapid Response vehicle
sworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2008, 17:44   #12
Jules
This is my second home

ZT 260 SE Twilight and 10 other 75 ZT's :O

Thanked 1,116 Times in 763 Posts

The other worrying factor in the equation Steven is whether the car even had the flywheel changed at all even though you were charged for it.

£800 seems to be the average bill for changing all the clutch items.
My Brother in Law had his all changed 4 weeks ago (only due to a very heavy pedal which did his knee in) and amazingly the RAC warranty coughed up £500 towards the bill!

Newbies do now!!
1. Plenum drains..all 3 or 4 year dependent
2. Cooling fan..All speeds functioning
3. Bonnet cable divider block
Jules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th January 2008, 17:05   #13
stevenkeyte
Loves to post

Rover 75 2.5 auto saloon

Thanks to everyone for the helpful replies and information, I'll pass all this onto my colleague and he can then decide how to proceed with the garage in question,

Steve
stevenkeyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th January 2008, 10:09   #14
Teflon
This is my second home

Lagoon 2.0 V6 75 Conn SE Saloon

Thanked 2,920 Times in 1,570 Posts

Perhaps I'm being a little paranoid, but can't help feeling that all the comments re "rip off"; "scam" etc are perhaps a little premature. Afterall, the O/P simply stated:

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevenkeyte View Post
....... also insisted fitting a new flywheel as they were unwilling to warranty the clutch installation without this being fitted.
In fairness to the garage, they may have said this as a result of finding excessive wear on the DMF. If they stated it as a general policy before examining any parts, then that is a different matter, but as things stand, there is little evidence to judge at present.

Just a thought.

Cliff
Teflon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th January 2008, 10:41   #15
Mike
This is my second home

Rover 75 V8

Cliff,

Fair comment though I would be surprised.

If the garage had said they were unwilling to warrant the clutch because the DMF was damaged/needed replacing then fine but they didn't, according to the OP. If the DMF was not fit for purpose then surely the garage would simply say so and not need to resort to the other terms they did use.

Cheers

Mike
Old 7th January 2008, 12:56   #16
kaiser
This is my second home

75 Tourer 2.5 Auto, 1.8T, 75V8ZT

Wife also drives an S-type Jag. Clutch went, was replaced, and we also did the slave cylinder, which on these vehicles are gearbox out items (even Ford make some stupid decisions)
They suggested we also change the DMF because it had high spots, which would make it shudder. I had a look and decided that there would be no shudder, so we kept the DMF. The car went fine, there was no trace of shudder, but the clutch only lasted about 2000km. Fried and big chunk of friction material missing. The friction material looks very flimsy and is not a solid, but rather strands of something. LUK would not hear anything, but could not get away with blaming the wife, she has done 200000km in the Jag with two clutches before. The dealer was prepared to re-do the work with no labour charge, provided we put in a new DMF. We did, but I refused to put another LUK clutch plate back in and instead got it re-lined by a local company with more concervative solid lining.
Everything has worked out fine, so I can't say if the DMF caused the clutch failure. I personally think the particular clutch supplied by LUK was not up to the job, but that is only a feeling.
Traffic down here is getting ridiculous, and there is more and more standing in queues, which is not good for a clutch in a heavy and powerful car..
That's where her new 1.8T is a much better option with its auto box.

Last edited by kaiser; 7th January 2008 at 12:58..
kaiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th January 2008, 13:09   #17
Rincewind
Loves to post

MINI Cooper S Works (Superchardged not Turbo!)

I believe that when we went to clutches that did not contain lead (hence all the judder problems people experience espically in cold damp weather) when they were replaced most DMF's were replaced underwarranty as they suffered surface damage.

However, as the MGR warranty died along with MGR I'm not sure what they crack is anymore reagrding clutches and DMF (and yes, all 75/ZT's have them fitted we did try some 1.8T engines with single mass and decided that after a lot of development work to ditch them and stay with the DMF as the transmission quality was better and believe it or not, it hides some of the mechanical noise from the Getrag box!)

The difference is, when you shout, "Where's my clean socks?", no-one answers

MGR stories, MGR help and advice all available at no extra cost !

The Two Sixties - it's a V8 thing ... Honorary Member and Puddle of V8/4/6cyl Knowledge et al.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Come see who I work for at www.vca.gov.uk without us, the world would be a right mess!
Rincewind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th January 2008, 13:53   #18
Jules
This is my second home

ZT 260 SE Twilight and 10 other 75 ZT's :O

Thanked 1,116 Times in 763 Posts

Automatics are the future with the growing traffic IMO
Try one you'll love it

Newbies do now!!
1. Plenum drains..all 3 or 4 year dependent
2. Cooling fan..All speeds functioning
3. Bonnet cable divider block
Jules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th January 2008, 13:57   #19
CDTi
This is my second home

No longer in the MGR club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rincewind View Post
I believe that when we went to clutches that did not contain lead (hence all the judder problems people experience espically in cold damp weather) when they were replaced most DMF's were replaced underwarranty as they suffered surface damage.
My 2006 75 had the clutch and DMF replaced under a garage warranty recently due to judder. Cost about €2k - or so I was told. The car only had about 10k miles on it.

CDTi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th January 2008, 21:25   #20
Phil
This is my second home

Rover 75 CDT Connoisseur SE

When I bought my 75 1.8turbo, it had awful clutch judder, it really did shake and make the car go bang. I tried to get it replaced under warranty but the garage reckonned they could never fault it. They said it had a new clutch and flywheel early in its life and there was no way it would need another. Anyway, 23,000 miles later I have no clutch judder. I am not suggesting other members do this, but I was on holiday in North Wales and had to do a hill start on a caravan park due to some person parked muppetly. I pushed as much as I dared but the car wasn't moving so I reversed back and found another way out. Since then I have no judder. Cheap fix.