Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 4th January 2008, 16:50   #1
stevenkeyte
Loves to post

Rover 75 2.5 auto saloon

Default Vehicles fitted with dual mass flywheels

A colleague at work has a 'Y' reg petrol 2 litre 75 connoisseur.
He is not very mechanically minded and over the Christmas break had a new clutch fitted, along with new clutch master and slave cylinders, the garage undertaking the work also insisted fitting a new flywheel as they were unwilling to warranty the clutch installation without this being fitted.
He was charged for the supply and fitting of a new dual mass flywheel and when we were talking about it I said I was under the impression that the dual mass flywheels were only fitted to the diesels, not the petrol engined cars - he now thinks he might have been the victim of a 'scam', but I'm not in a position to positively confirm that the dual mass flywheel was fitted to his vehicle. He says the garage showed him the old unit, but obviously, if he was not present when the unit was stripped, they could be showing him a diesel flywheel they had lying around, could someone confirm to which models the dual mass flywheels were fitted?
I don't know how much he was charged for the work undertaken, but I'm assuming it was a lot due to his reluctance to reveal the cost!

Steve
stevenkeyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2008, 16:59   #2
GreyGhost
Banned

180+ Sport Auto

DMF is a very expensive piece of kit, someone will be along with proper info, I run an auto so am not that familiar
GreyGhost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2008, 17:05   #3
Mike
This is my second home

Rover 75 V8

Dual mass flywheels are fitted to all 75/ZT's and are a big factor in the comfort of the cars.

Nevertheless your mate is victim of a scam and has been ripped off. There is no manufacturer requirement or need to fit a new DMF at clutch change unless the unit shows signs of failure/damage. the majority of DMF's never get replaced. They cost a small fortune County Court small claims would be my next step.

hth

Mike
Old 4th January 2008, 17:11   #4
Keith
This is my second home

ZT400

Basically OP as Mike said
Changing a healthy DMF is absolutely not necessary in order to warrant a clutch

The DMF is made by Luk and they provide garages with very clear details on how to measure a given DMF for wear, if the DMF failed on those measurements then yes change it otherwise it is not required.
Keith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2008, 17:19   #5
podge
I really should get out more.......

Rover 75 Tourer CDT CLUB SE Copper Red Mica Dec 01 ....now deceased....replaced by2003 Royal Blue T

Not only would I like to see the old one and the driven plate that caused the apparent damage?I would also like to see their invoice from the supplier who supplied them with the replacement DMF.
podge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2008, 18:05   #6
JohnDotCom

Rover 75 FaceLift Tourer CDTi 170BHP Auto ConnSE 2005 Model Starlight Silver

Quote:
Originally Posted by podge View Post
I would also like to see their invoice from the supplier who supplied them with the replacement DMF.
You mean they might actually have one?
JohnDotCom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2008, 18:23   #7
Paranoid Carlos
Posted a thing or two

Starlight CDT Conn SE

Most decent garages will recomend doing the DMf as a matter of course when the clutch is done (ford dealers often refuse to do the job), the slightest amount of play can cause clutch judder to happen, especially when a new plate/ pressure plate has been fitted due to the new characteristics of the new clutch, Yes it's a hell of a lot of money but if you have to have the box off 6 months after the clutch was done,thats even more expense.
When I had my clutch horrors last year the difference between the play in the old and new DMF was massive.
I chopped the DMF up at work and the springs were short and slack in the locations with a audible clonk when the inner was moved.
Old 4th January 2008, 18:26   #8
Paranoid Carlos
Posted a thing or two

Starlight CDT Conn SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith View Post
Basically OP as Mike said
Changing a healthy DMF is absolutely not necessary in order to warrant a clutch

The DMF is made by Luk and they provide garages with very clear details on how to measure a given DMF for wear, if the DMF failed on those measurements then yes change it otherwise it is not required.
Haven't got the exact figures but I was made aware by colleages of lates that LUK quote any visible movement and it should be changed, open to interpretation I can see but better than a horrible juddering clutch.
Old 4th January 2008, 18:45   #9
Mike
This is my second home

Rover 75 V8

R40 is seven years old, on its second clutch, with its original DMF and the clutch change is as smooth as a.............. When the clutch was replaced the garage inspected the DMF and passed it - which is the way it should be done.

It's a different thing when, as in this case, a garage says as a condition of the work that the DMF has to come out. imo that is unprofessional and a rip off of the worst order
Old 5th January 2008, 06:35   #10
pondweed
This is my second home

Waiter, Waiter! I seem to have a Roomster in my drive...

fiat have had lots of problems with the multipla, with dmfs failing shortly after clutches replaced. Its now virtually a £350 service item, should the clutch be changed.
One good reason to look for the lower spec common rail diesels on other cars (like the PSA group HDI 90) which have solid units.
pondweed is offline   Reply With Quote