Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 9th October 2007, 20:14   #1
e668ecp
I really should get out more.......

Range Rover Evoque and ZT V8 SE

Default Seat Cover Swap

How easy is it to replace the cover on the base of the drivers seat? I bought a new cover from MG Rover Parts yesterday. Is it a clip on or is the centre (fabric) section stuck down with that special spray glue?

Thanks to all who reply
e668ecp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th October 2007, 20:35   #2
Lovel
I really should get out more.......

P6B, L550, Imp, F56, Commando

Quote:
Originally Posted by e668ecp View Post
How easy is it to replace the cover on the base of the drivers seat? I bought a new cover from MG Rover Parts yesterday. Is it a clip on or is the centre (fabric) section stuck down with that special spray glue?

Thanks to all who reply
Depends on your level of skill and patience.

I have changed the seat cushions and squabs of both the Rover 45 and Freelander seats to fit heated seat elements, the covers were retained by identical methods. I would imagine the 75 is no different. Th seat covers are not glued. You have to remove the seat from car. Once you remove the plastic trim etc it is just a matter of peeling back the edge of the cover. You will then see these metal rings which I can only describe as looking like a key ring hoop. These rings attach the cover to a metal loop which is partially sunk into the foam rubber. You need to open up the rings with a combination of screwdriver and pliers and sort of spin the hoops off the sunken metal ring. Will take you three hours per seat. Just take your time and be patient and you will be rewarded with a good job. Place an old carpet on the garage floor to work on or something like that.
Lovel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th January 2008, 20:55   #3
Departed
Retired

--

Found this thread as I've been up to the same at the weekend.

For info they are known as Hog Rings, presumably because they came from the US and are like small versions of the ring that goes through a pigs nose (my guess, nothing else).

There's a bit of a trick to getting some of the other bits off.

The valance with the seat adjust. This has a couple of screws at the back by where it meets the seat squab. There's a screw inside the backrest adjust wheel. Prise off the cap and there's a screw underneath. Only found this attaches the wheel when I tried to adjust the squab using it. The other screw is accessed under the seat: it's at the centre of the pivot point for the fore-aft adjust.

The lumbar adjust wheel just pulls off.

The worst bit is taking off the backboard from the squab. I broke three clips taking off the first but once I could see them the second came off OK. The Rave instructions are rubbish.

I intend to take some photos as I rebuild, to help others, but it may be a while till I do.
Departed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th January 2008, 21:00   #4
Departed
Retired

--

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovel View Post
Depends on your level of skill and patience.

I have changed the seat cushions and squabs of both the Rover 45 and Freelander seats to fit heated seat elements, the covers were retained by identical methods. I would imagine the 75 is no different. Th seat covers are not glued. You have to remove the seat from car. Once you remove the plastic trim etc it is just a matter of peeling back the edge of the cover. You will then see these metal rings which I can only describe as looking like a key ring hoop. These rings attach the cover to a metal loop which is partially sunk into the foam rubber. You need to open up the rings with a combination of screwdriver and pliers and sort of spin the hoops off the sunken metal ring. Will take you three hours per seat. Just take your time and be patient and you will be rewarded with a good job. Place an old carpet on the garage floor to work on or something like that.
Incidentally, how much did the heated elements cost? Where they sewn into the seat cover, or did they stick to the foam and have the cover fitted on top?

Reason I ask, I'm considering the same for my 75.
Departed is offline   Reply With Quote