Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Social Forums > Touring Boating Camping & Caravan Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 23rd July 2019, 17:52   #1
uk_dave&gill
This is my second home

Default Leisure battery - physical size

Hi folks

Does anyone know much about caravan leisure batteries?

Ours needs replacing as on our last break the motormover kept cutting out after a few seconds. Also, the battery itself was getting hot so clearly there's a charging issue

Anyway, I'd like to get a new one, and the easiest way is online, but this means going to the van to get the old one out as reference. Storage is not too far away, but we're currently having a spate of roadworks bringing our area to gridlock, so I'd rather just get the new one ordered and save a trip!

Our van is a 2009 Lunar Clubman ES. I did think about contacting Lunar, but sadly they are currently in receivership and thus I don't think the phones and/or email are being manned

So, are all batteries pretty much the same physical size? I don't want to get one that won't fit in the orifice! Also, are the poles usually the same orientation, as again, would be loathe to get one and find the terminal leads didn't reach!

I can see that I'll doubtless have to pop to the 'van, but trying to avoid this if possible!

Thanks for any wisdom that anyone can impart
Old 23rd July 2019, 19:22   #2
reworht
This is my second home

Honda HR-V 1.6 i-DTEC SE Navi 5dr Diesel Hatchback

Thanked 2,156 Times in 1,497 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by uk_dave&gill View Post
Hi folks

Does anyone know much about caravan leisure batteries?

Ours needs replacing as on our last break the motormover kept cutting out after a few seconds. Also, the battery itself was getting hot so clearly there's a charging issue

Anyway, I'd like to get a new one, and the easiest way is online, but this means going to the van to get the old one out as reference. Storage is not too far away, but we're currently having a spate of roadworks bringing our area to gridlock, so I'd rather just get the new one ordered and save a trip!

Our van is a 2009 Lunar Clubman ES. I did think about contacting Lunar, but sadly they are currently in receivership and thus I don't think the phones and/or email are being manned

So, are all batteries pretty much the same physical size? I don't want to get one that won't fit in the orifice! Also, are the poles usually the same orientation, as again, would be loathe to get one and find the terminal leads didn't reach!

I can see that I'll doubtless have to pop to the 'van, but trying to avoid this if possible!

Thanks for any wisdom that anyone can impart
They come in a variety of sizes (and power ratings) - the only safe way is to measure what you've got and also the battery compartment to see what it would take as a maximum. If you're using a motor mover I would suggest the absolute minimum would be an 85 AH - 100 AH or more would be better.
I got a new one (my old one went down the same route as yours) from here back in April

Rodney - you plonker!
... but more commonly known as Rod !
reworht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd July 2019, 20:15   #3
oldcarguy
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Conn SE Tourer

Terminal orientation isn't usually a problem as the cables are long enough to reach the battery whilst on the ground allowing you to connect terminals before fitting it in the box.
oldcarguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd July 2019, 20:42   #4
uk_dave&gill
This is my second home

Quote:
Originally Posted by reworht View Post
They come in a variety of sizes (and power ratings) - the only safe way is to measure what you've got and also the battery compartment to see what it would take as a maximum. If you're using a motor mover I would suggest the absolute minimum would be an 85 AH - 100 AH or more would be better.
I got a new one (my old one went down the same route as yours) from here back in April
You're probably right - I'll need to brave the traffic (and the heat) and drag myself down to the storage! Thanks for the link
Old 23rd July 2019, 20:43   #5
uk_dave&gill
This is my second home

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldcarguy View Post
Terminal orientation isn't usually a problem as the cables are long enough to reach the battery whilst on the ground allowing you to connect terminals before fitting it in the box.
Good point! I think ours would just about be long enough, but usually do any re-attaching with the battery balanced on the edge of the locker!
Old 24th July 2019, 07:45   #6
AndyN01
This is my second home

Toyota RAV4

Thanked 1,579 Times in 968 Posts

Try giving these folks a call.

https://www.tayna.co.uk/leisure-batteries/

My neighbour had a problem with a ride on lawnmower. All he had was the Make & Model number. They sorted it over the phone and exactly the right battery arrived two days later.

Good reviews on here too.

Andy.
AndyN01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th July 2019, 08:09   #7
uk_dave&gill
This is my second home

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyN01 View Post
Try giving these folks a call.

https://www.tayna.co.uk/leisure-batteries/

My neighbour had a problem with a ride on lawnmower. All he had was the Make & Model number. They sorted it over the phone and exactly the right battery arrived two days later.

Good reviews on here too.

Andy.
Cheers Andy!
Old 8th August 2019, 20:39   #8
HarryM1BYT
This is my second home

75 Contemporary SE Mk II 2004 Man. Sal. CDTi 135ps, FBH on red diesel, WinCE6 DD

Thanked 2,061 Times in 1,586 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by reworht View Post

A lot of the leisure battery failure are due to failing to look after them, over charging and /or not charging them at all.

Mine, in my drive, goes on charge once per month, for one day. I have wrecked batteries before, boiled dry, having them on permanent trickle charge. They just need to be topped up reasonably regularly.

How To's and items I offer for free, or just to cover the cost of my expenses...

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...40#post1764540

Fix a poor handbrake; DIY ABS diagnostic unit; Loan of the spanner needed to change the CDT belts; free OBD diagnostics +MAF; Correct Bosch MAF cheap; DVB-T install in an ex-hi-line system; DD install with a HK amp; FBH servicing.

I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
HarryM1BYT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th August 2019, 09:28   #9
ssizefive
I really should get out more.......

Mg Tf160

https://www.countybattery.co.uk/leis...van-batteries/

A friend of mine got a replacement from the above company recently - they delivered it very quickly.

Steve.
ssizefive is offline   Reply With Quote