Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 7th August 2019, 21:37   #1
p2roverman
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Connie Tourer & Connie SE Saloon & Club SE Tourer

Default Headlight polishing

I'm aware this subject has come up many times, but have two questions -

There has been an argument as to whether the headlight plastic lens had a protective coating from new. Having just used the 3M kit to clean them it appears there is no coating, unless it was polished off before I bought the car. Can one of the knowlegable confirm one way or the other.

Secondly, having polished the plactic lens, is it recommended to coat them with a protective coating, such as the "Glass Polish Surface Sealant Easy Clean Coating" recommended to buy from Amazon when getting the 3M kit.
p2roverman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th August 2019, 22:00   #2
klarzy
This is my second home

none but not gone

Thanked 4,247 Times in 3,025 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by p2roverman View Post
I'm aware this subject has come up many times, but have two questions -

There has been an argument as to whether the headlight plastic lens had a protective coating from new. Having just used the 3M kit to clean them it appears there is no coating, unless it was polished off before I bought the car. Can one of the knowlegable confirm one way or the other.

Secondly, having polished the plactic lens, is it recommended to coat them with a protective coating, such as the "Glass Polish Surface Sealant Easy Clean Coating" recommended to buy from Amazon when getting the 3M kit.
Clean them well with panel wipe and coat with gloss clear coat.
Old 7th August 2019, 22:31   #3
HarryM1BYT
This is my second home

75 Contemporary SE Mk II 2004 Man. Sal. CDTi 135ps, FBH on red diesel, WinCE6 DD

Thanked 2,061 Times in 1,586 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by klarzy View Post

I agree, except..

I recently carried out some experiments with a donated lens. I abraded it down to what I thought was the polycarbonate, sprayed it with the gloss clear coat and it went misty. My assumption was it had reacted with the original coating. Not knowing how thick the lens material might be, I had been too wary of abrading it.

My MKII when I have refaced them and this lens when I had refaced it, both had visible marks in the lenses, which I had attributed to marks on the inner surfaces - I was wrong, I think the marks were the remnants of the old coating.

I tried again on the same lens, a bit more enthusiastic, with 100 grit paper, then finished with finer and finer grits, finally polishing with Autosol. I sprayed it again, this time it ended up perfectly clear, but showed signs of what looked like cracks in the coating. I'm thinking now, that might be due to doing the spraying with the lens too warm in the sun?

I have left it out in the weather since then, deliberately to catch the sun, but there has been no deterioration at all. I'm reasonably happy to now tackle my MKII's headlight with the same process.

How To's and items I offer for free, or just to cover the cost of my expenses...

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...40#post1764540

Fix a poor handbrake; DIY ABS diagnostic unit; Loan of the spanner needed to change the CDT belts; free OBD diagnostics +MAF; Correct Bosch MAF cheap; DVB-T install in an ex-hi-line system; DD install with a HK amp; FBH servicing.

I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
HarryM1BYT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th August 2019, 23:03   #4
p2roverman
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Connie Tourer & Connie SE Saloon & Club SE Tourer

From the replies so far I'll not coat the polished lenses until after it has passed the mot.

So Harry thinks there was a coating on the lens originally. Certainly no sign of it when I worked on mine, the platic reacted exactly as the 3M instructions.
p2roverman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th August 2019, 06:43   #5
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Thanked 3,032 Times in 2,181 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by klarzy View Post
is there one make you recommend?

macafee2
macafee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th August 2019, 08:03   #6
T-Cut
This is my second home

Rover75 and Mreg Corsa.

Thanked 3,660 Times in 2,924 Posts

Polycarbonate degrades under ultra violet light, so wherever it's used to make items that will get a lot of sunlight, it's protected with a stabiliser. The stabiliser is a compound that readily absorbs UV with little apparent effect. The stabiliser may be mixed into the molten polycarbonate prior to moulding or extrusion (eg roofing sheets) or applied as a separate layer, for example by spraying on. Headlamps are coated like this and the stabliser prevents UV degrading/embrittling the lens. The layer is sacrificial and eventually becomes itself degraded. That's what you abrade away during the headlamp treatment. The yellow layer can sometimes be seen quite distinctly during the abrading process. If the stabiliser isn't replaced, the lens itself will begin degrading immediately. In my experience, a re-polished but uncoated lens will become cloudy in 24 - 36 months with the car parked pernanently outside. UV stabiliser treatments have got a lot cheaper in recent months. I'd recommend anything that states 'UV' in the name or the information on it. Those finishing wipes that applies a film from a moist tissue will last from a few days to a few weeks at best.

TC

Last edited by T-Cut; 8th August 2019 at 08:09..
T-Cut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th August 2019, 10:39   #7
ceedy
This is my second home

All Trophy Blue ,ZT260#50 , ZT CDTI Auto, ZR105+ and 1.8T Firefrost spoiling the Set .

Thanked 1,214 Times in 768 Posts

There are supposed Special Lens coating sprays out there ,

whether they are just laquer err.. pass ..

or the other option is to wrap the lenes with clear UV protection film.

C.
Wifey's Zr105, MY CDTI & 260 #50 and
Number One sons 1.8T in Firefrost
When I were a lad
Zero to 142 in 10.25 secs at the Pod on my Blown Norton.
210 Kart Champ in 70's

ceedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th August 2019, 11:46   #8
MSS
This is my second home

Rover 75CDT, Jaguar XF-S 3.0V6, V'xhall Omega V6 Estate, Twintop 1.8VVT, Astra Estate and Corsa 1.2

I polished the headlights on the CDT earlier this year using the RainX kit. The UV coating in the kit is a liquid which is sprayed on and then wiped. I don't expect that it will last more than a year or two but given how it is applied that really is not the end of the world.

My intention is to lightly clean the lenses using the compound in the kit every year and reapply the UV coating at the beginning of each summer. This should take no more than 15 minutes.
MSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th August 2019, 15:36   #9
T-Cut
This is my second home

Rover75 and Mreg Corsa.

Thanked 3,660 Times in 2,924 Posts

I reconditioned my lamps a couple of years ago and they looked like new. However, I didn't use a hard coat protection so they're now fogged over. I'll have to buff them up again, but this time I'll coat them with a clear/hard coat UV protectant. I've just received this today -

- from eBay: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/E-TECH-Re...72.m2749.l2649

Wipe-ons are only temporary. The only way is a hard laquer coating with UV inhibitors.

TC

Last edited by T-Cut; 8th August 2019 at 15:39..
T-Cut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th August 2019, 15:52   #10
ceedy
This is my second home

All Trophy Blue ,ZT260#50 , ZT CDTI Auto, ZR105+ and 1.8T Firefrost spoiling the Set .

Thanked 1,214 Times in 768 Posts

I've tried odd things even those paint protector coatings like the 2 part Diamond Brite, but doesn't last
Wifey's Zr105, MY CDTI & 260 #50 and
Number One sons 1.8T in Firefrost
When I were a lad
Zero to 142 in 10.25 secs at the Pod on my Blown Norton.
210 Kart Champ in 70's

ceedy is offline   Reply With Quote