Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

View Poll Results: What do you do in stop start traffic
keep in drive with foot on brake 24 34.29%
keep in drive with hand brake on 5 7.14%
put in neutral with foot on brake 14 20.00%
put in neutral with handbrake or no brake 27 38.57%
put in park 3 4.29%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 70. You may not vote on this poll

Old 30th June 2019, 00:05   #31
Comfortably Numb
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Saloon

In my auto Mitsubishi 4x4, I knock it into neutral below 5mph, slowing to a stop, as it prevents it pulling against the brakes. Then I apply the handbrake. I don't worry about drivers behind seeing my brake lights, as, at over 2 tons, it has a lot of inertia. And I expect professional driving standards of people driving anything heavier.
Comfortably Numb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th June 2019, 05:24   #32
Darcydog
This is my second home

Thanked 3,170 Times in 2,096 Posts

It’s a mixture of two of the options for me.

When just stopped - foot remains on brakes, slip into N, apply handbrake. Keep looking in mirror for traffic coming up behind. Foot stays on brakes until car behind has come to halt, then take foot off brake pedal.

That’s what I was taught to do years ago - and I still try and do so every time. I drive a manual now and find it easy and no bother to do this Auto or manual.
Darcydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th June 2019, 07:37   #33
bendrick
Gets stuck in

Ex CDT Auto

Right I'm totally confused now.

I used to put the transmission in neutral when at lights for any length of time.

Then I caught sight of a mention of this issue on the web and the report said that slipping in into neutral and back again puts a lot more strain on the torque converter ( whatever that is ) than just leaving in drive and will wear it out much sooner plus also wear the gear selector out much sooner s well.

There were a number of articles all saying the same thing.

So I started leaving in drive with the footbrake on.

Now on reading this thread I've searched the net again for confirmation and just about every article and piece of advice from motoring journals and organisations says different things. Some say leave in drive, and some say put into neutral.

I'm now totally confused as to what the best thing to do is now.
bendrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th June 2019, 08:22   #34
Terryf
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Saloon BRG

Quote:
Originally Posted by bendrick View Post
Right I'm totally confused now.

I used to put the transmission in neutral when at lights for any length of time.

Then I caught sight of a mention of this issue on the web and the report said that slipping in into neutral and back again puts a lot more strain on the torque converter ( whatever that is ) than just leaving in drive and will wear it out much sooner plus also wear the gear selector out much sooner s well.

There were a number of articles all saying the same thing.

So I started leaving in drive with the footbrake on.

Now on reading this thread I've searched the net again for confirmation and just about every article and piece of advice from motoring journals and organisations says different things. Some say leave in drive, and some say put into neutral.

I'm now totally confused as to what the best thing to do is now.
Me too! When I bought my 75 auto I read as much as I could on how to drive an auto. But that was over 15 years ago and I could have misunderstood, I have a vague memory of something in the auto system disconnecting if left for more than a few seconds in drive with brake on.
As for brake lights I have been stopped behind many cars with brake lights on at traffic lights, I treat them like headlights I don't look directly at them.
Terryf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th June 2019, 09:09   #35
HarryM1BYT
This is my second home

75 Contemporary SE Mk II 2004 Man. Sal. CDTi 135ps, FBH on red diesel, WinCE6 DD

Thanked 2,061 Times in 1,586 Posts

I notice a lot of drivers of manual cars, on an uphill slope rocking the car on the clutch for ages, waiting at lights. A moments inattention, or their phone ringing and they rock back to the car behind, or hit the one in front.

Me - MANUAL, always into neutral and handbrake on, if its more than a second or two.

Me AUTO - Handbrake on and in neutral, if its more than a second or two.

I don't believe in burning brake light lamps out by keeping the footbrake pressed, or dazzling those behind.

The poor handbrake on my 75 when I bought it, provided all the impetus I needed to work out why the 75's handbrake was so poor and find a solution. I'm never confident, driving a vehicle with a poor handbrake.

How To's and items I offer for free, or just to cover the cost of my expenses...

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...40#post1764540

Fix a poor handbrake; DIY ABS diagnostic unit; Loan of the spanner needed to change the CDT belts; free OBD diagnostics +MAF; Correct Bosch MAF cheap; DVB-T install in an ex-hi-line system; DD install with a HK amp; FBH servicing.

I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
HarryM1BYT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th June 2019, 10:20   #36
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Thanked 3,032 Times in 2,181 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryM1BYT View Post
I notice a lot of drivers of manual cars, on an uphill slope rocking the car on the clutch for ages, waiting at lights. A moments inattention, or their phone ringing and they rock back to the car behind, or hit the one in front.

Me - MANUAL, always into neutral and handbrake on, if its more than a second or two.

Me AUTO - Handbrake on and in neutral, if its more than a second or two.

I don't believe in burning brake light lamps out by keeping the footbrake pressed, or dazzling those behind.

The poor handbrake on my 75 when I bought it, provided all the impetus I needed to work out why the 75's handbrake was so poor and find a solution. I'm never confident, driving a vehicle with a poor handbrake.

My dad taught me to go into neutral with a manual as it does the clutch no good and particularly as our clutches are prone to leaking the less the pedal
is under pressure the better.

Is it a lack of understanding about how the drive system works?

Like power steering, the number of people that turn the steering wheel when the car is stationary instead of turning when the car is rolling. I appreciate there are times when you need to turn when stationary. They do not realise the strain the steering is under, all that weight sitting on the front wheels

macafee2
macafee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th June 2019, 14:11   #37
wraymond
This is my second home

75 Auto 2.5 SE

Thanked 1,680 Times in 1,014 Posts

Autobox

Can’t help but get an impression that the term ‘life expectancy’ when applied to mechanical and electrical machinery is somehow mistakenly attributed to the driver’s life expectancy!

Seriously, if the manufacturers can’t design their products to withstand everyday usage then they deserve serious questioning. Important to say at once I’ve no qualification, and even less desire, to question superior knowledge from any quarter but, yes, always a but, this subject provokes some answers that seem apocryphal to me.

So much so, and this demonstrates how careful I am to avoid throwing grenades, I’ve just driven round the block to get my auto box to full working temp and then stopped to engage D, P, and N. Rev counter remained at 600 rpm while in D and P but went to 650 when in N.

Odometer reads 46000 since 2002, so likely to be lightly used, especially considering the owner from new was a mature woman of temperate and gentle nature, provided that definition is not raaceist or ageist or something. So, engine load increased in N. I understand that such instruments can be somewhat unreliable but at this level it seems unlikely.

So if D is retained and there is no increase in load either – or at least sufficient to stress the ‘box – why would the converter temp overheat in the two-minute traffic light stop? I realise that the temperature of auto box lubricant is significant but are we saying the two-minute traffic light standstill can do damage?

Also, I have my own view on handbrake efficiency and the load necessary to actually stretch the steel rod and its causes, but (yes, another one!) what is made useless by using it when stopped and D selected, please?
Old 30th June 2019, 14:20   #38
SD1too
Doesn't do things by halves

Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur Auto (1999) Dealer launch model.

Thanked 3,749 Times in 3,181 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wraymond View Post
Rev counter remained at 600 rpm while in D and P but went to 650 when in N. So, engine load increased in N.
I'd say that the engine load decreased in neutral Ray because it's no longer trying to drive the car forward against the applied brake. This is surely reflected by the increase in RPM.

Simon
Old 30th June 2019, 14:34   #39
wraymond
This is my second home

75 Auto 2.5 SE

Thanked 1,680 Times in 1,014 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD1too View Post
I'd say that the engine load decreased in neutral Ray because it's no longer trying to drive the car forward against the applied brake. This is surely reflected by the increase in RPM.

Simon
Yes Simon, I agree. My poor writing - I meant that the auto box shafts were faster thereby increasing internal friction and what effect this would be likely have on the substantial internals. Thanks, glad of the opportunity to correct my error!