Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 23rd June 2019, 20:23   #11
richardreid

rover 75 tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD1too View Post
Thanks for coming back to me Richard. I think you're referring to the fuel gauge having rotated sixty degrees from the vertical 'full' position. Gauges are very approximate so cannot be used for consumption calculations. Their movement is also non-linear. For these reasons it is extremely unlikely that you used one third of a tank of fuel during your 35 mile drive. That's about 7 mpg!

If you really want to know what your average consumption is, fill the tank until the petrol pump nozzle shuts off and note the mileage. Drive until the low fuel warning shows then refill to the brim again noting the new mileage and the number of litres purchased. Divide the latter by 4.546 to obtain gallons and you'll have your average mpg.

There's nothing wrong with your car Richard. Relax and enjoy it.

And take what some garages tell you with a pinch of salt!

Simon
thank you. I shall do that and report back- in fairness to the garage he thought he'd seen staining on the outside of the tank near the top that indicated fuel egress and there is some faint smell of fuel when filled but I'm sure a proper test will further refine the possible faults
richardreid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd June 2019, 21:01   #12
HarryM1BYT
This is my second home

75 Contemporary SE Mk II 2004 Man. Sal. CDTi 135ps, FBH on red diesel, WinCE6 DD

Thanked 2,061 Times in 1,586 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by richardreid View Post
thank you. I shall do that and report back- in fairness to the garage he thought he'd seen staining on the outside of the tank near the top that indicated fuel egress and there is some faint smell of fuel when filled but I'm sure a proper test will further refine the possible faults

There are two tank access ports on top of the tank, with two removable panels directly above them in the body. If there are still concerns, it might be worth removing the panels in the body to take a look at the top of the tank. The two panels are under the back seat base.

How To's and items I offer for free, or just to cover the cost of my expenses...

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...40#post1764540

Fix a poor handbrake; DIY ABS diagnostic unit; Loan of the spanner needed to change the CDT belts; free OBD diagnostics +MAF; Correct Bosch MAF cheap; DVB-T install in an ex-hi-line system; DD install with a HK amp; FBH servicing.

I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
HarryM1BYT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd June 2019, 22:45   #13
Comfortably Numb
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Saloon

When I first bought my CDT from a dealer near Manchester, there was, unsurprisingly, very little fuel in it, in fact the light came on before I reached a filling station. I put £30 in to get me home, and to work the following day (it was not a cheap place). After work, I went to the local supermarket to brim- fill it with cheap fuel, so I could start my brim- to brim mileage calculation, knowing I should get around £50, based on my mileage so far. At £36, the pump shut off, which seemed baffling, as the gauge had been well into the bottom quarter when I started filling. Then I became aware that diesel was running out from under my car! I told the attendants, and moved my car away from the pumps, and they scattered sand and closed that row while they cleaned up, by which time my car had reduced leaking to a few drips. I drove to a nearby garage, to ask them to check it out. They took a quick look underneath, and confirmed it was no longer dripping. I drove gently home, aware that I could slosh diesel onto the road at every bend or change in velocity. On this site, I found out that a badly fitted ITP or sender was the most likely culprit. Sure enough, the foam rubber gasket had been part -pushed into the tank, and creased by whoever had fitted the new ITP. The dealer told me the previous owner had fitted a new pump, and that his son was a mechanic. This was the first of several ham-fisted mechanicing jobs I discovered on the car - mostly broken trim clips. Anyway, running the car until the fuel light comes on has given me a maximum fill of £52. The gauge then reads a gnats over half full, consistently. I suspect the sender float is bent, or incorrectly fitted, but it doesn't leak, and I am reassured to know that I would have to ignore the light, probably for 100miles, before the car would stop.
Comfortably Numb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th June 2019, 07:36   #14
RoverP480
Gets stuck in

None at the moment

I had the same problem with a used vehicle, the seal fitted incorrectly and leaking under the rear seat. Fortunately more of a weep, rather than dripping out.
RoverP480 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th June 2019, 07:36   #15
HarryM1BYT
This is my second home

75 Contemporary SE Mk II 2004 Man. Sal. CDTi 135ps, FBH on red diesel, WinCE6 DD

Thanked 2,061 Times in 1,586 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comfortably Numb View Post
I suspect the sender float is bent, or incorrectly fitted, but it doesn't leak, and I am reassured to know that I would have to ignore the light, probably for 100miles, before the car would stop.

I have never been in the tank, but I can imagine it being a delicate operation getting the floats in and out without bending them.

Dash diagnostics will help determine which of the two floats is in error. Using that reading and an empty fuel tank, you could adjust the float by bending, so it just shows empty. It might even be being caught up on the tank's internal plumbing.

How To's and items I offer for free, or just to cover the cost of my expenses...

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...40#post1764540

Fix a poor handbrake; DIY ABS diagnostic unit; Loan of the spanner needed to change the CDT belts; free OBD diagnostics +MAF; Correct Bosch MAF cheap; DVB-T install in an ex-hi-line system; DD install with a HK amp; FBH servicing.

I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
HarryM1BYT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th June 2019, 09:24   #16
T-Cut
This is my second home

Rover75 and Mreg Corsa.

Thanked 3,660 Times in 2,924 Posts

I suspect it's also possible to position the mounting flange slightly wrong, which sends the float sideways.

TC
T-Cut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th June 2019, 13:28   #17
Mike Noc
This is my second home

Rover 75 CDT Manual Connoisseur SE, Rover 75 CDT Automatic Connoisseur SE & a Freelander Td4.

Thanked 3,119 Times in 2,247 Posts

There is a raised part of the lip TC which has a corresponding cut out in the tank aperture to ensure the module is mounted in the right position.

Easy enough on the diesels to get the module in and out of the tank without bending the float arm - the tricky bit is making sure the static pump is correctly clipped in position.

Due to the limited amount of free pipe the static pump tends to get pulled out with the ITP module.

Worse still if the last person in there didn't re-site it you have nothing to go on as to where it should sit, and obvious it certainly ain't.

Last edited by Mike Noc; 24th June 2019 at 18:59..
Mike Noc is offline   Reply With Quote