Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Social Forums > Technology Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 15th May 2019, 17:45   #1
HarryM1BYT
This is my second home

75 Contemporary SE Mk II 2004 Man. Sal. CDTi 135ps, FBH on red diesel, WinCE6 DD

Thanked 2,061 Times in 1,586 Posts
Default Another Iphone question

Iphone SE with 12.3 installed. I'm thinking of (for the first time ever on one of my own mobile phones) getting a mobile package which includes some data.

I have wifi from fibre at home, which I would like it to use when I'm at home, but if it has both 4G and wifi available to it - would it switch to the wifi automatically in preference to the mobile 4G, or would 4G need to be manually enabled/disabled to force it to use wifi?

How To's and items I offer for free, or just to cover the cost of my expenses...

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...40#post1764540

Fix a poor handbrake; DIY ABS diagnostic unit; Loan of the spanner needed to change the CDT belts; free OBD diagnostics +MAF; Correct Bosch MAF cheap; DVB-T install in an ex-hi-line system; DD install with a HK amp; FBH servicing.

I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
HarryM1BYT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th May 2019, 18:21   #2
markypicks
Gets stuck in

rover 75 saloon cdt club se re map 160 bhp

harry i have a 4g mobile which is on o2 if you are out and about it should be connected to your providers network but as soon as you reach the range of your home network it should automatically move on to your home hub to save your mobile data. have you connected your phone to your home network and put in your routers password etc if in doubt contact your provider and they should be able to talk you through it rgds mark

Last edited by markypicks; 15th May 2019 at 18:24..
markypicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th May 2019, 18:37   #3
HarryM1BYT
This is my second home

75 Contemporary SE Mk II 2004 Man. Sal. CDTi 135ps, FBH on red diesel, WinCE6 DD

Quote:
Originally Posted by markypicks View Post
harry i have a 4g mobile which is on o2 if you are out and about it should be connected to your providers network but as soon as you reach the range of your home network it should automatically move on to your home hub to save your mobile data. have you connected your phone to your home network and put in your routers password etc if in doubt contact your provider and they should be able to talk you through it rgds mark

Yes, I have it able to connect to any of my 4x access points (two of each variety) - all working fine. I just wondered about what it might do if I got it a mobile data package, in regards to switching between mobile and wifi.

If it defaults to wifi when wifi is available that is what I want. I see it can also support tethering, so I could use it whilst away in the caravan for my laptop's access. I presently use a a separate gadget to give wifi from Three 4g. So potentially one less gadget and one less mobile package.

How To's and items I offer for free, or just to cover the cost of my expenses...

Fix a poor handbrake; DIY ABS diagnostic unit; Loan of the spanner needed to change the CDT belts; free OBD diagnostics +MAF; Correct Bosch MAF cheap; DVB-T install in an ex-hi-line system; DD install with a HK amp; FBH servicing.

Old 15th May 2019, 18:52   #4
markypicks
Gets stuck in

rover 75 saloon cdt club se re map 160 bhp

harry i have a mobile data package of 1 gb per month and i never ever get close to it as i am o2 they have over 15000 free wifi hotspots to connect too plus when im at home im not wasting any of my mobile wifi data as its coming in through my home talktalk hub/ router rgds mark
markypicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th May 2019, 21:53   #5
HarryM1BYT
This is my second home

Quote:
Originally Posted by markypicks View Post
harry i have a mobile data package of 1 gb per month and i never ever get close to it as i am o2 they have over 15000 free wifi hotspots to connect too plus when im at home im not wasting any of my mobile wifi data as its coming in through my home talktalk hub/ router rgds mark

In the early days I used a Vodaphone PAYG data sim which was expensive and the coverage was terrible. Then I took up a free data offer, for watching ads, which folded when I built up a mass of credit. Most recently I used Three sims loaded with data for use away and Giffgaff for PAYG phone, which runs on O2, so I'm looking at that, with their 'Goodybags' on a month by month basis. The Three sims were a bit of a pain in that I had to keep the sims in stock ready to use, whereas I can add the Giffgaff Goodybags as and when I need the data instantly, or recurring every month if I want - what ever size I might need.

Cheapest of all seems to be ID (Dixons?) which runs on Three. I can easily use 1Gb in a couple of weeks away if the weathers bad, on the laptop.

Old 16th May 2019, 04:18   #6
Les4048
This is my second home

Rover 75 Tourer/ MG ZT-T 400

Thanked 1,523 Times in 869 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryM1BYT View Post
Yes, I have it able to connect to any of my 4x access points (two of each variety) - all working fine. I just wondered about what it might do if I got it a mobile data package, in regards to switching between mobile and wifi.

If it defaults to wifi when wifi is available that is what I want. I see it can also support tethering, so I could use it whilst away in the caravan for my laptop's access. I presently use a a separate gadget to give wifi from Three 4g. So potentially one less gadget and one less mobile package.

It will automatically go to Wi-fi and will also give you Wi-fi phone calls. Tethering is excellent too, I use it for my iPad when on the odd occasion I take it out of the house, I couldn’t see the point of a cellular iPad when I can tether to the phone to make FaceTime calls etc
Les4048 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th May 2019, 08:09   #7
HarryM1BYT
This is my second home

Quote:
Originally Posted by Les4048 View Post
It will automatically go to Wi-fi and will also give you Wi-fi phone calls.

I'm not familiar with Wi-fi calls, does that involve installing another app?

Old 16th May 2019, 09:15   #8
Les4048
This is my second home

Rover 75 Tourer/ MG ZT-T 400

Thanked 1,523 Times in 869 Posts

Quote:
I'm not familiar with Wi-fi calls, does that involve installing another app?

No it’s a setting in the phone. I think most have it now
Les4048 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th May 2019, 18:12   #9
HarryM1BYT
This is my second home

Quote:
Originally Posted by Les4048 View Post
No it’s a setting in the phone. I think most have it now

I have managed to work out where the setting should be, but it is not there.

It's an SE on Giffgaff..

Old 20th May 2019, 20:07   #10
Robti
Posted a thing or two

MG ZT-T 190+,Rover 800 vitesse coupe

Quote:
I have managed to work out where the setting should be, but it is not there.

It's an SE on Giffgaff..

Hi Harry, sorry to say that GiffGaff do not support wifi calling, thats the reason i went to three, although others also support it