Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 10th January 2007, 20:51   #21
Ti Rich
Gets stuck in

Audi A6 TDi 175

The MAF sensor also has an air intake temperature sensor built into into it. If the MAF is unpluged then the temperature sensor is unpluged as well and the ECU assumes an air temperature of -5C.

To get to the MAF sensor you need to remove the engine cover (3 x 8mm bolts) and then the air filter housing (5 allen key bolts, 2 down the back of the cover). You can then see the MAF sensor on the rear left hand side of the engine. Remove the electrical connector and go for a drive.
ZT CDTi, gone but not forgotten!
Ti Rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th January 2007, 21:17   #22
Roverron
Gets stuck in

Rover

Quote:
Originally Posted by apywell View Post
Interesting thread this is.. my 75 has been suffering from lumpy running (at about 1500 revs) and at tickover. But this only happens from time to time (but daily). I used to fill up with Diesel at Sainsburys. Then last week I filled up at a BP station and put some REDEX Diesel performance stuff in it that also cleans injectors atc... I have noticed very little difference only that my MPG seems to have improved. A shame really because I had hoped it would have cured the lumpy running forever......

Then the other day I noticed that the lumpy running never appeared at all, but that it was a warmer day (about 11 degrees).

Could it be the MAF? If someone could tell me (or show a pic) where the sensor is, I'll unplug it to see if she runs smooth again.

Is the MAF sensitive to the outside temperature?

cheers
Alan
The maf has the intake air temp sensor built in.
Have you tried cleaning the PCV - this sems to help the smoothness at low revs and reduce smoke on the tuned engines.

There are photos etc on my website's 75 pages.

45zs.ino (click on the banner or my signature below).

It will feel smoother with the maf unplugged but this doesn't necessarily mean the maf is faulty . It may be a bit out of spec so my mafam MF75p will probably make all the difference.

Ron
Old 11th January 2007, 18:35   #23
Paranoid Carlos
Posted a thing or two

Starlight CDT Conn SE

First thoughts were that the tickover was Better with it unplugged (not perfect) tried again over the next 24 hours and no difference plugged or unplugged. It ran like a petrol with a weak mixture hunting etc.

When I refilled half good half supermarket there was a big difference within about 10 miles.
Paranoid Carlos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th January 2007, 21:31   #24
apywell
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Saloon. 2.0 Diesel Auto. Connoisseur SE.

Quote:
The maf has the intake air temp sensor built in.
Have you tried cleaning the PCV - this sems to help the smoothness at low revs and reduce smoke on the tuned engines.

There are photos etc on my website's 75 pages.

45zs.ino (click on the banner or my signature below).

It will feel smoother with the maf unplugged but this doesn't necessarily mean the maf is faulty . It may be a bit out of spec so my mafam MF75p will probably make all the difference.

Just been looking through your site and a good one it is. I think it makes sense what you say and I will unplug the MAF sensor on Sunday (weather permitting) to see if there's a difference. Running is smoother and no loss of power over 2000 revs as the turbo will kick in. When the car decides to run 'lumpy' on tickover, it has stalled on 2 occasions... it's auto box.

As I have some spare cash (was bidding for the projectors) I may well be in touch next week.

Now has an S-Type 2.7 diesel V6 twin turbo with Jag voice, bluetooth, sat nav, front and rear park assist, electric fold mirrors etc, etc, etc.....
apywell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th January 2007, 21:33   #25
apywell
Gets stuck in

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ti Rich View Post
The MAF sensor also has an air intake temperature sensor built into into it. If the MAF is unpluged then the temperature sensor is unpluged as well and the ECU assumes an air temperature of -5C.

To get to the MAF sensor you need to remove the engine cover (3 x 8mm bolts) and then the air filter housing (5 allen key bolts, 2 down the back of the cover). You can then see the MAF sensor on the rear left hand side of the engine. Remove the electrical connector and go for a drive.
Hi Ti Rich

This sounds easy to do.... thanks for the 'how to'

Now has an S-Type 2.7 diesel V6 twin turbo with Jag voice, bluetooth, sat nav, front and rear park assist, electric fold mirrors etc, etc, etc.....
Old 18th January 2007, 11:04   #26
apywell
Gets stuck in

I did this as planned and never really noticed any difference with the MAF off. However (after putting everything back together again), I have noticed after a couple of days that she is running smooth again. I have a feeling that this could be more to do with using BP diesel not the cheaper supermarket fuel and an additive for cleaning valves etc, and putting my foot down the odd time!

Old 9th January 2008, 19:30   #27
podge
I really should get out more.......

Rover 75 Tourer CDT CLUB SE Copper Red Mica Dec 01 ....now deceased....replaced by2003 Royal Blue T

Very interesting thread this, last week I replaced the air cleaner element, old one pretty grim, just done 435 miles on 40 litres( brimmed the tank) so no complaints there.Having filled up, tickover is lumpy and allmost smelt overfueled at one point, will put some Millers in tank to-morow.Just wondered if coincidence at having changed filter or more likely some rough diesel, allways buy from same garage, but if they are getting low in their tanks perhaps a risk of water contamination.This car still amazes me, why oh why did they let Rover go...........oops off thread sorry guys.
podge is offline   Reply With Quote