Notices

Old 28th August 2009, 23:02   #1
2Diesels
Trader

ZT 260SE, Connoisseur CDT

Default Truck photies for Phil

Phil I did promise to do this weeks ago but here we are at last

This was my mate's D-Series

It had the Perkins V8 & 8 Speed Ford box & eaton 2 speed axle & was apparantly quite fast

This was his Leyland Bison

This had Leyland's famous 500 fixed head engine known as the headless wonder

This was the 900FG in my avatar pic as purchased along with his little 550FG

Here it was undergoing restoration

Here it is parked infront of his Daf 80 series furniture van

Here it is again with a minor facelift

And here's a Bedford J-Type operated by his family firm back in the 60's

2Diesels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th August 2009, 23:07   #2
derekosb
Occasional interested visitor

Kia SOUL EV

Hi Colin.

Excellent. Glad you got them uploaded.

Cheers,

Derek

Scottish Members Guestmap here.
Just click on your location to add a marker.
derekosb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th August 2009, 23:17   #3
Phil
This is my second home

Rover 75 CDT Connoisseur SE

Thanks Colin!!
I love the old trucks. So much character compared to the new ones that look all the same. I wanted to be a lorry driver when I left school, like Dad, as you do. But being that you have to be 21 that would have left a gap of 5 years from leaving school so I ended up as a mechanic instead!!
When I used to go with Dad as a kid, started going with him when I was about 8, the Ford and the Leyland Bison were still quite regularly seen in service, not seen the others much though in your pics. I went with him most in his 1977 ERF B series 8 legger. 12 litre Rolls engine. Those Leylands, they made a really unique whine sound, especially the T45s or the Daf 80's as they became Wasn't it because they used a prehistoric back axle?

The engine you refer to as the headless wonder, is that as in head and block one casting? What a fantastic idea, if only Rover used it on the K series!! I think Bentley used to do that?

That one you've restored looks really smart. In fact they all do. How many are still on the road in your pics?
Old 28th August 2009, 23:20   #4
2Diesels
Trader

Thanks Derek it caused me enough pain

It's a shame really the photo doesn't show the full slogan on the front of the big DAF it read "HERE COME THE MEN FROM MARRS" & on the back shutter it read "IF IT'S NEAR OR FAR MOVE WITH MARR"
Old 28th August 2009, 23:25   #5
2Diesels
Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil View Post
Thanks Colin!!
I love the old trucks. So much character compared to the new ones that look all the same. I wanted to be a lorry driver when I left school, like Dad, as you do. But being that you have to be 21 that would have left a gap of 5 years from leaving school so I ended up as a mechanic instead!!
When I used to go with Dad as a kid, started going with him when I was about 8, the Ford and the Leyland Bison were still quite regularly seen in service, not seen the others much though in your pics. I went with him most in his 1977 ERF B series 8 legger. 12 litre Rolls engine. Those Leylands, they made a really unique whine sound, especially the T45s or the Daf 80's as they became Wasn't it because they used a prehistoric back axle?

The engine you refer to as the headless wonder, is that as in head and block one casting? What a fantastic idea, if only Rover used it on the K series!! I think Bentley used to do that?

That one you've restored looks really smart. In fact they all do. How many are still on the road in your pics?

Those Roadtrains etc did use very old Leyland axles in them, the headless wonder was a one piece casting & I believe you're right about Bentley, I only know for certain the 900FG survives though it is now blue & red, I think the little one's still alive but I dont think any of the others are still going which is a shame really
Old 28th August 2009, 23:31   #6
Phil
This is my second home

Rover 75 CDT Connoisseur SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Diesels View Post
Those Roadtrains etc did use very old Leyland axles in them, the headless wonder was a one piece casting & I believe you're right about Bentley, I only know for certain the 900FG survives though it is now blue & red, I think the little one's still alive but I dont think any of the others are still going which is a shame really
The Leyland died in 1991 aged 11.

Just did a vehicle enquiry.
Old 29th August 2009, 09:47   #7
GreyGhost
Banned

180+ Sport Auto

I drove one of the BMC's similar to that one in my youth. I think it was 3 ltr straight 6? The crash box was fun, I was the only driver they had that knew how to double de-clutch. Hard work but such a nice truck.
GreyGhost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th August 2009, 10:06   #8
smcaul
Loves to post

Rover 75 Saloon CDT Club

Some great old wagons there, they don't build em like that anymore!! I remember cutting my teeth in the old DAF 80's and Bedford TL's, and that was only 15 years ago - there were still a few of the other wagons on the road then as well!!

Design of trucks has come a long long way in the last decade! Trucks are much easier to drive now but road conditions are much different!

Freedom isn't free. Somebody paid!
smcaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th August 2009, 17:38   #9
2Diesels
Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grey Ghost View Post
I drove one of the BMC's similar to that one in my youth. I think it was 3 ltr straight 6? The crash box was fun, I was the only driver they had that knew how to double de-clutch. Hard work but such a nice truck.
The bigger one of the two has the 5.1 6cyl BMC diesel & the little one has the Leyland 4-98 engine which was basically a reworked version of the 4cyl BMC 3.8

Was the one you drove a 6 cyl petrol? if so it would actually be a 4litre & can you still walk properly after driving an FG cos I cant

Regards Col
Old 29th August 2009, 18:32   #10
GreyGhost
Banned

180+ Sport Auto

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Diesels View Post
The bigger one of the two has the 5.1 6cyl BMC diesel & the little one has the Leyland 4-98 engine which was basically a reworked version of the 4cyl BMC 3.8

Was the one you drove a 6 cyl petrol? if so it would actually be a 4litre & can you still walk properly after driving an FG cos I cant

Regards Col
That's the one 6cyl Petrol. It was 35 years ago my memory is pretty good but not that good.
GreyGhost is offline   Reply With Quote