Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 19th February 2020, 16:57   #1
vitesse
I really should get out more.......

Rover 75 Saloon

Default Norwegian damsel in distress

Trying to assist a Norwegian lady owner: she asked her local garage to give her newly acquired V6 a checkover. They found that the oil level was very low and filled it “too much” without measuring the level. The next day the high temperature warning light appeared for the first time. She returned to the garage and they found that one cylinder was out of action. The garage found water had entered No.2 cylinder, saying “this would have happened anyway”. They then removed the headgasket and even the engine & gearbox condemning the engine.

So, you learned fellows, was the leak of coolant into the cylinder just a coincidence, or a result of overfilling the oil? Opinions please.

Einar, you still around?

Regards

More info: Received this photo, was the leak into No.2 cylinder caused by this gasket?

Last edited by vitesse; 19th February 2020 at 18:17..
vitesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th February 2020, 19:39   #2
VikingMG
Avid contributor

MG ZT-T, R75 1.8T Tourer,R75 2,5 V6

https://www.finn.no/car/used/ad.html?finnkode=170573648

aha,,so thats her!...

My experience with the V6`s are not the best...

But my general impression is that garages (not all) are have very little knowledge about Rover engines...Had to SCHOOL a couple of wiseass mechanics about my 1.8T..

The fact of the matter is that she is a lady and maybe they been giving her the..."Your indicator fluid was low and this would have happened yesterday and in 2023 anyway"...Get my drift..
VikingMG is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19th February 2020, 19:47   #3
COLVERT
This is my second home

R75 Saloon.

Thanked 2,167 Times in 1,816 Posts

My opinion, for what it's worth.-----Coincidence.

Gasket problem.----Can't see high oil doing that.---
COLVERT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th February 2020, 20:17   #4
bl52krz
This is my second home

Rover 75 cdt club + Rover 2.5 KV6 Conni SE

Thanked 2,262 Times in 1,729 Posts

If you like, I can get them an audition on the comedian’s show over here. I reckon they will go down well. We have them over in this country also. Charlatan ‘s is the word I would use. Did oil cause it? No.
Old 19th February 2020, 20:28   #5
trikey
Premium Trader

Rover 75

Thanked 14,831 Times in 8,030 Posts

I would be more concerned about what else they did, if a garage managed to overfill the engine with oil then maybe they 'checked' the coolant as well?
Old 19th February 2020, 20:28   #6
vitesse

Rover 75 Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by VikingMG View Post
https://www.finn.no/car/used/ad.html?finnkode=170573648

aha,,so thats her!...

My experience with the V6`s are not the best...

But my general impression is that garages (not all) are have very little knowledge about Rover engines...Had to SCHOOL a couple of wiseass mechanics about my 1.8T..

The fact of the matter is that she is a lady and maybe they been giving her the..."Your indicator fluid was low and this would have happened yesterday and in 2023 anyway"...Get my drift..

Good detective work, yes that's the one and looks in otherwise fine condition. A couple of us on https://www.facebook.com/groups/1800705170206717/ are trying to advise the owner, I've only got to think about my own wife and how lost she would be listening to a garage, so yes I certainly get your drift. You're most welcome to join us, there are a couple of Norwegians there. Any idea if Einar from Sandnes is still around?

Regards

Just checked Einar was here only two days ago, hopefully he might see this and offer some insight

Last edited by vitesse; 19th February 2020 at 20:33.. Reason: More info
Old 19th February 2020, 20:45   #7
VikingMG
Avid contributor

MG ZT-T, R75 1.8T Tourer,R75 2,5 V6

I think he`s around but I must say I`ve Had more direct contact with other members and seeked advice on here and on different facegroups...

Thank you for the invite,I will join you guys
VikingMG is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20th February 2020, 13:03   #8
beinet1
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 2.0 V6 Auto

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitesse View Post
Good detective work, yes that's the one and looks in otherwise fine condition. A couple of us on https://www.facebook.com/groups/1800705170206717/ are trying to advise the owner, I've only got to think about my own wife and how lost she would be listening to a garage, so yes I certainly get your drift. You're most welcome to join us, there are a couple of Norwegians there. Any idea if Einar from Sandnes is still around?

Regards

Just checked Einar was here only two days ago, hopefully he might see this and offer some insight
Hi There!

I am still around, but have to admit that I am not a frequent visitor to this forum at the time. Poke me with a PM, and I will be here

Regarding this car, I have seen her advert and have done the same thoughts as you. I does not know the details in this case and thoroughly checking is needed to see if this engine is repairable within reasonable limits.
Garages do often go the easy way and recommend "new engine". Especially here in Norway where the labour cost is high and knowledge with Rover engines pretty bad.
Basically, this is something I would have been able to fix if I have had time. It could be as easy as a gasket issue, (IMG or HG). For all we know, the head gasket could have failed due to low coolant/overheating caused by a leaking thermostat housing. The big question here if the engine has been damaged due to potential overheating?. Cylinder heads are replaceable/repairable and liners/piston also if needed, but this kind of work is only done by competent DIY-ers as garages will only replace the engine.
I guess this is pretty frustrating for her.

Rgds
Einar
beinet1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th February 2020, 13:08   #9
Lovel

P6B, L550, Imp, F56, Commando

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitesse View Post
Trying to assist a Norwegian lady owner: she asked her local garage to give her newly acquired V6 a checkover. They found that the oil level was very low and filled it “too much” without measuring the level. The next day the high temperature warning light appeared for the first time. She returned to the garage and they found that one cylinder was out of action. The garage found water had entered No.2 cylinder, saying “this would have happened anyway”. They then removed the headgasket and even the engine & gearbox condemning the engine.

So, you learned fellows, was the leak of coolant into the cylinder just a coincidence, or a result of overfilling the oil? Opinions please.

Einar, you still around?

Regards
The tightness of the set screws clamping the inlet manifold is often overlooked as the engine manifold settles down over time and heat cycles the screws lose some tension and coolant has the ability to weep into the cylinders 1,2,4,6. If allowed to lay long enough the coolant build up could be significant. Every time I have worked on a KV6 I always try and nip the set screws up.
Lovel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th February 2020, 13:25   #10
vitesse

Rover 75 Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by beinet1 View Post
Hi There!

I am still around, but have to admit that I am not a frequent visitor to this forum at the time. Poke me with a PM, and I will be here

Regarding this car, I have seen her advert and have done the same thoughts as you. I does not know the details in this case and thoroughly checking is needed to see if this engine is repairable within reasonable limits.
Garages do often go the easy way and recommend "new engine". Especially here in Norway where the labour cost is high and knowledge with Rover engines pretty bad.
Basically, this is something I would have been able to fix if I have had time. It could be as easy as a gasket issue, (IMG or HG). For all we know, the head gasket could have failed due to low coolant/overheating caused by a leaking thermostat housing. The big question here if the engine has been damaged due to potential overheating?. Cylinder heads are replaceable/repairable and liners/piston also if needed, but this kind of work is only done by competent DIY-ers as garages will only replace the engine.
I guess this is pretty frustrating for her.

Rgds
Einar
I have no doubt at all that you could fix it having seen most of your previous posts. And it is very frustrating, like my wife she hasn't a clue what she's even looking at, left to the mercy of the garage and their opinion.

In my opinion the inlet gasket does support evidence of coolant leak into no.2 cylinder but unfortunately I haven't seen any photos of the headgasket or the other IMG. The cam cover gasket is seriously de-laminated, worst I've seen, baked? Wondering why with evidence of IMG failure they then whipped the cylinder head off and removed the whole engine.

But would like to hear your opinion on the state of the inlet manifold gasket, as I'm only an hobby mechanic.

Regards