Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Social Forums > Touring Boating Camping & Caravan Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 28th November 2018, 17:04   #11
Astraeus
Regional Secretary North Scotland

MG ZS Exclusive 1.0T Auto 2022

Thanked 1,855 Times in 1,058 Posts
Default Live on board

That looks like a great lifestyle you have there. Your boat lots very good. Any pictures of on board?

Chris
Astraeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th November 2018, 18:57   #12
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Thanked 3,032 Times in 2,181 Posts

6 months holiday each year, there will be many jealous people about.
Walking past narrow boats I had always wondered why, so thank you for letting me know. Such a different way of life you have to most.
Have you had problems this summer getting about as I understand some canals had some stretches closed due to lack of water.

macafee2
macafee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th November 2018, 19:18   #13
Southern Star
Loves to post

Rover 75 CTDi Contemporary SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arctic View Post
HI Vince.
Email & PM sent regards you MOD

PS I note you must have passed by me on the canal then from your map, Shropshire Union Canal
Received, thank you! You have a boat too? Have done the Shroppie on several occasions so almost certainly have!
Southern Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th November 2018, 19:34   #14
Southern Star
Loves to post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopeso13 View Post
Would love to know more about your lifestyle. What sort of running costs are involved living aboard a narrow boat etc.
It's said that narrowboating is either an expensive hobby or a cheap way of living. I pay around £720 a year for the navigation licence, around £750 a year for my farm mooring (this is very cheap though, a marina would cost double that), and around £200 a year for insurance. Most things on a narrowboat are charged "per foot" so a longer boat would cost correspondingly more.

When I'm on the mooring in the Winter I use a couple of litres of red diesel a day to charge the batteries and heat the domestic water, red diesel is 90p a litre from the fuel boat, and a £10 bag of coal for the stove lasts me 4-5 days. I also burn untreated pallet wood, which is free, if I have the time to break pallets up.

Then there's maintenance, which is cheap because I do it myself (£10 for 5 litres of oil and £2 for an oil filter every 6 weeks and about £8 for fuel filters twice a year. Boating starts to cost serious money when you have to pay other people, especially boatyards, to do work.

When I'm out cruising, my engine (a BMC 1.5 ) uses around a litre of diesel an hour so 5-6 litres a day.

So all in all,my standing costs are around £2,000 a year, and I couldn't even get a room share around here for that. However, anyone thinking of boat life purely to save money would probably find it difficult (periodically emptying the toilet isn't exactly pleasant) , you have to want to do it for its own sake.
Old 29th November 2018, 00:10   #15
Arctic
Give to Learn

Freelander 2

Thanked 6,407 Times in 3,874 Posts

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern Star View Post
Received, thank you! You have a boat too? Have done the Shroppie on several occasions so almost certainly have!
HI Vince.
No I mean I live very close to the Shroppie canal which passes through Brewood, Coven, heading in to Wolves.

ad altiora tendo.

Check out our Nano meet dates
http://www.midlandsnanomeets.co.uk/

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/index.php?thepage=howto

" You do the work , we supply the expertise "
Arctic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th November 2018, 19:20   #16
Southern Star
Loves to post

Ah, ok, the second photo in my opening post (of my son filling the boat with diesel) was taken not a million miles away from there, at Turners Garage at Wheaton Aston, legendary for having the cheapest diesel on the cut... it's gone up a tad since I took that photo, I understand it was 69p a litre a few weeks ago (but may have come down a couple of pence since then).
Old 3rd January 2019, 15:41   #17
gadget1960
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 saloon

It certainly is an idyllic life style you have there, love the thought of living like that but i would have more chance of being punched in the face by the pope than convincing my better half narrow boating is the way to go.
A while ago i watched a program all about a chap who totally restored a narrow boat, it was really insightful, absolutely amazing what he had done to the interior, a real home from home.
I think you are right .... it takes a certain kind of mind set to embrace the life aboard a narrow boat and tbh ... my wife struggles going away in the camper for more than a few days!
Power to you, literally living the dream.
gadget1960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th January 2019, 21:44   #18
COLVERT
This is my second home

R75 Saloon.

Thanked 2,167 Times in 1,816 Posts

Thank you for an interesting thread.

I used to boat a lot but that was with boats in the sea at Teignmouth in Devon. Seventeen years of playing about in boats both slow and fast.

The slow one at 6 knots, the fast at 30. Good sea fishing just off the mouth of the river and wreck fishing for conger eels further out.----
COLVERT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th January 2019, 19:56   #19
Jim Jamieson
This is my second home

Rover less !

Sounds like a very relaxed way of living. I have friend in the Dudley area who’s partner was restoring an old boat just last summer.
We met up for a meal when on holiday and between me talking about classic cars and him talking about his boat the girls didn’t get a look in.
Jim Jamieson is offline   Reply With Quote