Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Social Forums > Touring Boating Camping & Caravan Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 24th February 2018, 08:06   #11
rustymotor
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD1too View Post
Jim,

If your radiator electric cooling fan is working on all speeds you should have nothing to worry about. Its speed will increase if the ECU detects that additional cooling is required (source: RAVE).

Simon
That's a good point I knew the Volvo's worked like that from what Ive read it was wired in to the factory fitted tow bar system..

Correction: Think on the Volvo with factory fitted tow bar and when a load is hitched up, there is a signal to the ECU to set off in lower gear range.

Last edited by rustymotor; 25th February 2018 at 07:57..
rustymotor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th February 2018, 08:29   #12
Davy
Avid contributor

suzuki vitara

I`ve towed several vans over the last 10 years with a diesel auto 75 tourer with some very near max weight and never had a problem.As said above just make sure the autobox oil is changed at regular intervals.

Davy
Old 27th December 2018, 00:17   #13
alanaslan
Gets stuck in

75 Tourer Automatic conn, 75 Saloon Automatic Conn, The Monograme Spice Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustymotor View Post
I wouldn't be happy running an auto thousands of miles in sports mode, it really indicates the tow car is under powered for all road conditions, I would think it could be used to maintain higher revs for uphill stretches however, if it works for you so be it.

What would be interesting is to rig up a temp sensor on the auto box or the cooler and see what it's doing while towing. You could then determine if the standard cooler is doing a job or not.

The use of sports mode is to keep the engine on cam and in turbo range. As on the normal box setting she is sitting at around 1500 rpm which puts her off cam and out of turbo range. She will happily pull in normal drive mode known as economy mode but you are aware of the van behind you. Add to that an extra 15 seconds to the 0 to 60 time. Much prefer sports mode if only to get power down on small roads 0 to 60 time only pulled back by 3 seconds. On the motorway or autoroute. Once the car and can are at 60 mph normal drive mode is selected to keep the box in fifth and avoid her changing up and down all the time.
I have driven wagons all my life though not as my job. I agree that it can be very frustrating if you get behind a crawling caravan. But there is no need for it as with a properly matched unit, pulling the van should not change the speed that you drive at the van will happily follow the car at 60 mph and that is the legal limit.
Bad or poorly educated drivers is what gives caravaners a bad reputation.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
alanaslan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th December 2018, 22:26   #14
trikey
Premium Trader

Rover 75

Thanked 14,831 Times in 8,030 Posts

As Davy said, do a full change of the transmission fluid and all will be well, I used to tow a 1600kg van with my auto and it never missed a beat.