Notices

Closed Thread

Old 9th November 2012, 08:56   #1
FLYER
Banned

rover75 cdti AUTO TOURER 160 bhp.

Thanked 3,685 Times in 2,463 Posts
Default Aid.

Just been announced that the british gov will give no more aid to INDIA in view of fact they have a well advanced space programme .

Finally some common sense about where our money goes .

If the indian government can afford to develop a space programme they can afford to look after their poor.
Old 9th November 2012, 09:11   #2
greendriver
This is my second home

MG ZTT 180 in Poseidon

Perhaps they can put it into sorting out the immigration mess...
Old 9th November 2012, 09:13   #3
MrDoodles
Banned

MG ZT+ V6 190

Thanked 1,196 Times in 818 Posts

But not until 2015!!

As we are currently borrowing £12 Billion to give away in "Foreign Aid" it should cease immediately and not return until we have a surplus!
Old 9th November 2012, 09:25   #4
FLYER
Banned

rover75 cdti AUTO TOURER 160 bhp.

Thanked 3,685 Times in 2,463 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrDoodles View Post
But not until 2015!!

As we are currently borrowing £12 Billion to give away in "Foreign Aid" it should cease immediately and not return until we have a surplus!
maybe they could send us some aid
Old 9th November 2012, 09:29   #5
windrush
This is my second home

December 2004 Rover 75 2ltr CDTi Connoisseur SE HL Tourer

Thanked 3,015 Times in 2,347 Posts

For a country that is broke, the amount that we give away in aid is staggering
Club Member No. 96 / Forum User No. 111
REGISTRATION to the club as a member FREE, FULL MEMBERSHIP is £10

WE WILL REMEMBER THEM
Old 9th November 2012, 09:33   #6
MrDoodles
Banned

MG ZT+ V6 190

Thanked 1,196 Times in 818 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by windrush View Post
For a country that is broke, the amount that we give away in aid is staggering
We're worse than broke Derek, the Country is over Trillion £££'s in debt!
Old 9th November 2012, 12:52   #7
CimmaronG
Gets stuck in

Roverless at present :-(

How can any goverment justify the amount we give in aid, yet cut services in it's own country. Beggers belief.
Left the production line 08:07:14hrs on 01/07/2004

'Best to have it and not need it, than need it and not have it'
Old 9th November 2012, 13:12   #8
MattyC
Gets stuck in

MG6 1.8 Turbo TSE in Burnt Orange

As much as I'd like to say cut the aid, there is many worse things that our tax revenues are wasted on in this country, than helping those who are less fortunate than ourselves.

Overall though, my feelings are mixed. I want to help the people of other countries, who are seriously struggling in a lifetime battle against poverty, famine, disease and suffering, but on the other hand I don't feel the money is always well spent, and I don't want to be propping up the space programs and corruption of governments around the world.

In a word, it is compassion, it is called being human, to help ones less fortunate neighbor is the moral thing to do. As for those calling against giving a penny of aid to those less fortunate than ourselves, because "we have our own problems to deal with"... well everyone will always have problems, every nation will always have some sort of social and financial issues, however you need to put the problems into perspective and realise when a "problem" isn't really all that much of a problem. In this country people are cutting back on food, whilst still getting plenty to eat and live, people are cutting back on using their cars, walking a little more, people are having to wait an extra 24 hours to see GP's about non-critical illnesses (colds and the like), people are cutting back on beer and losing access to libraries, Santa will be bringing less presents to kids this Christmas, and people will lose their jobs, ending up a part of our very generous (some could argue overly generous) welfare system.

What do you cut back on when you have nothing in the first place, where do you go when there is no access to state-funded/subsidised medical care, what do you claim when there is no social welfare system in place?

Love it or hate, one verse in the song "Do they know it's Christmas", always hurts a little within me and strikes a very upsetting chord, when I think about it/hear it, and take a look at our lives, our moans and groans, and our ever-growing expectations to lead a life of luxury in the UK... and I think it sums up why we should never stop helping those who are seriously less fortunate than ourselves. Whilst we are enjoying a "cut-back Christmas", we will hear this song countless times no doubt, so take a moment to reflect on the cold hard reality of the meaning of it.

"And there won't be snow in Africa this Christmas time
The greatest gift they'll get this year is life
Where nothing ever grows, no rain or rivers flow
Do they know it's Christmas time at all?"

Mods: 17" meteor wheels | Steve916's Auto boot lifters | Leather electric memory seats | Dynavin Android DD Headunit | MG7 grille (was a V8 grille, long story!) | SEAT Leon Cupra splitter (colour coded) | ZT sideskirts | BigRuss/marinabrian 160 remap | Roverron Synergy 2A | Arctics Modified Handbrake Compensator

Thanks to those who've helped, providing advice and info, supplying/manufacturing parts, even fitting things for me!

Last edited by MattyC; 9th November 2012 at 13:15..
Old 9th November 2012, 13:35   #9
oldcarguy
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Conn SE Tourer

I'm sorry, but we have been pouring millions of pounds into Africa for years and they are still starving, suffering drought, but still managing to hump the night away, maybe they should spend some of the money on birth control an steralization, it might also stem the spread of HIV/aids.
Lets get our own house in order. because we sure aint gonna change theirs.
Old 9th November 2012, 13:43   #10
MattyC
Gets stuck in

MG6 1.8 Turbo TSE in Burnt Orange

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldcarguy View Post
I'm sorry, but we have been pouring millions of pounds into Africa for years and they are still starving, suffering drought, but still managing to hump the night away, maybe they should spend some of the money on birth control an steralization, it might also stem the spread of HIV/aids.
Lets get our own house in order. because we sure aint gonna change theirs.
With some reference to the important day that is coming up at the weekend, I'm just so very glad that the brave men and women who fought (and many of whom gave their lives) for the freedoms, liberties and rights that we enjoy today, in all aspects of life (not just war), never gave up on fighting for what is right, so easily as yourself.

Mods: 17" meteor wheels | Steve916's Auto boot lifters | Leather electric memory seats | Dynavin Android DD Headunit | MG7 grille (was a V8 grille, long story!) | SEAT Leon Cupra splitter (colour coded) | ZT sideskirts | BigRuss/marinabrian 160 remap | Roverron Synergy 2A | Arctics Modified Handbrake Compensator

Thanks to those who've helped, providing advice and info, supplying/manufacturing parts, even fitting things for me!
Closed Thread