Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The Chinese Cars - MG7 and Roewe 750 > NAC & SAIC
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 6th June 2007, 09:02   #1
MartinW

MG TF LE500

Default Car Magazine and the Z7 Coupe

Source:
Car Magazine

Quote:
A coupe version of the MG7 – haven't we seen this before?

Yes, if you cast your minds back to late 2004, when the MG Rover Group unveiled it wearing Rover badges. However, a lot of water has passed under the bridge since then, and in the meantime the sleek concept car has received a brand makeover as it stumbles closer to production reality.

This MG7 Coupe may have been tucked away from prying eyes at the recent re-opening of Longbridge, reserved for management and VIPs' eyes only, but CAR Online managed to get an exclusive close-up view of the car. The re-branding of the Peter Stevens-styled car is a clear indication that NAC MG is considering this car for potential future production.

They haven’t changed much at all – and isn't that a Rover badge on the steering wheel?

Yes it is – but the two-door concept looks so right that it could be argued that nothing really needed to be changed. As our pictures reveal, the MG logo sits in a Rover-shaped recess on the grille, and there is a neat new boot spoiler to cover up the badge plinth that formerly resided there, so plainly there’s work to do.

More interestingly, this was the first opportunity to take a close look at the beautifully crafted instruments – and the wood 'n' leather laden interior, a traditional Rover styling cue. When the car first appeared, it won plaudits for its balanced styling, despite being conceived purely to demonstrate to the then-potential partner, Shanghai Automotive, that Longbridge could design desirable cars – keeping the upcoming deal on-track.

That’s all well and good, but why show it off again?

Although the reborn NAC MG company would not readily confirm anything other than TF roadster production for Longbridge, Nanjing Auto’s CEO Yu Jian Wei stated that a new Coupe could be launched, followed by all-new sportscars – assuming that sales for the roadster were satisfactory.

Although it is a good bet this will be the TF GT, unveiled alongside the original Rover 75 Coupe back in 2004, the presence of the MG7 Coupe is certainly interesting. It indicates that the Chinese company is clearly ambitious, and that given the money, could be interested in building this range-topping halo model. There were VIP guests at the re-opening ceremony that could indeed help make this happen.

But will it go into production?

The chances are pretty slim, but never say never. Much of the tooling to get the MG7 saloon into production at Longbridge is still there, although installing new presses for the coupe-only parts would require significant investment.

However, the newly scaled-down Longbridge would be the perfect place to effectively hand-build the new car, and British assembly would add kudos to the model if it were to go on sale in the status-conscious Chinese market.

Against the 3-Series coupe and Audi A5, it would undoubtedly struggle, but as a bargain-basement baby Bentley, it could certainly work on some markets.

Should the reborn MG launch the 7 Coupe here? Join the debate by clicking 'Add comment' below

Words: Tim Pollard
MartinW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th June 2007, 10:46   #2
mykl
Loves to post

MG ZT 1.8T + 160.... Le-Mans Green

Question

Looks stunning, a real head turning car.

Does anyone know.........

This actual concept car in the photo's..... is it a road worthy vehicle ?

Is it in the UK or did it get shipped tp China ?

I would love to see it in the 'flesh'.

mykl
mykl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th June 2007, 10:48   #3
tashax
Loves to post

BMW 750i V12

I Want One....xx
Old 6th June 2007, 10:59   #4
Tom Collins
Posted a thing or two

Mondeo 2.0 cdti Ghia Auto

Absolutely gorgeous.
Tom Collins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th June 2007, 11:43   #5
MartinW

MG TF LE500

You might this link to Peter Stevens site an interesting one, this is the specific 75 Coupe page on his site, complete with gallery.
http://www.peterstevensdesign.co.uk/...ov75/index.htm

As the article says this was built along with the TF Coupe to showcase MG Rover to SAIC and hurry the deal along.

Whilst NAC talk about the TF Coupe there would be numerous logistical issues to overcome with that design but if the company were to produce the 7 and TF in coupe form - wow! I always wished I'd been in a position to own a 200 and 800 coupe when my wife and I enjoyed 9 yrs of pre-children bliss back in the 90s.
MartinW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th June 2007, 11:51   #6
Mike
This is my second home

Rover 75 V8

That is the original Rover concept car just re badged and is a 'dummy', i.e. not a car at all but a model. I can't see them ever taking it to production myself due to cost and low sales possibilities - but you never know I guess.
Old 6th June 2007, 12:12   #7
nairda
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Saloon ConnSE CDTi 2003 in luvverly Moonstone Green, van Aaken SmartBox/RoverRon Synergy

That is a very nice looking car! And that interior! Reminds me of sitting inside a very large Mars bar...all that toffee and caramel chewy stuff...mmmm....toffee....

Member No. 971
nairda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th June 2007, 16:27   #8
lwindridge
Regular poster

Rover 75 CDT Conn SE Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike View Post
That is the original Rover concept car just re badged and is a 'dummy', i.e. not a car at all but a model. I can't see them ever taking it to production myself due to cost and low sales possibilities - but you never know I guess.
Nah, stick a folding tin top on it and it'll sell by the thousands to people who'll never take the top down for fear of messing up their hair!

Job done

Seriously though, I hope they do produce it as it really does look a classy car and if the old 75's anything to go by it'd be a gem to drive.
Think a small Aston DB7 for comparison....
Old 6th June 2007, 17:21   #9
Keith
This is my second home

ZT400

It does look very nice
It has the "right" look about it

It would probably sell very well
Just needs RWD and a big V10 Diesel
Keith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th June 2007, 17:33   #10
HOMER
Gets stuck in