Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 3rd October 2018, 06:21   #1
fandango151
Loves to post

Rover 75

Default Changing jobs

Bit of advice.

Worked for same company for 10 years as an operative working upto an office role. Great. Took a similar office job 3 years ago similar industry great. Changed this year and am having an awful time. 1st job in a different industry I only held out for 7 months. Another job in a similar industry a month in and I'm struggling.

I just don't feel like the stress is worth it for the few thousand above minimum wage but am very scared of being viewed as a job hopper. I think the whole office scene, politics and protocols has got to me. Any advice?
fandango151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd October 2018, 07:11   #2
Heddy
This is my second home

None

Thanked 1,161 Times in 924 Posts

Tough one, a job you enjoy with a salary you're happy with is a rare thing. I'd take peace of mind over wages but it depends on how much you 'need' to earn. Need is the operative word, usually higher earnings mean higher stress, and an office job is more competitive than a shop floor job. I've done both but I don't stress. Try to get a job within your capabilities, and that means within your stress limits as well as your skill level. Regards 'job hopping', few people stay at one company for long periods these days, what with closures, redundancies, cost cutting etc, it's a free world, people move jobs regularly.

Last edited by Heddy; 3rd October 2018 at 07:14.. Reason: More text.
Heddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd October 2018, 11:21   #3
fandango151
Loves to post

Rover 75

Thank you.

Half is knowing is it new job jitters or am I walking the wrong path. To be honest am manouvering myself into needing less money - to the point of full time minimum wage or thereabouts. But what to go for is another question.

2 jobs in a year seems pretty bad to me so need to sit this one out for a while. I've come to see what a stressed out world we are in and I think I'm recoiling after years of it because the new job stress has tipped the balance.
fandango151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd October 2018, 22:26   #4
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Thanked 3,032 Times in 2,181 Posts

I'm not sure job hopping is always seen as a bad thing.
older folk took a job and stayed there man and boy. young folk today do tend perhaps to move job more frequently.

nice to be able to brag about how much you earn, not nice being unhappy.

if you are not happy I think you are better moving on for your own health

macafee2
macafee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th October 2018, 06:38   #5
AndyN01
This is my second home

Toyota RAV4

Thanked 1,579 Times in 968 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fandango151 View Post
Thank you.

Half is knowing is it new job jitters or am I walking the wrong path. To be honest am manouvering myself into needing less money - to the point of full time minimum wage or thereabouts. But what to go for is another question.

2 jobs in a year seems pretty bad to me so need to sit this one out for a while. I've come to see what a stressed out world we are in and I think I'm recoiling after years of it because the new job stress has tipped the balance.

Stress and being unhappy is REALLY bad for you.

You're only just up the road - if you fancy a chat pop me a PM.

Andy
AndyN01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th October 2018, 12:29   #6
Dawn
I really should get out more.......

MG ZT 180+ auto

Thanked 1,128 Times in 504 Posts

I had a job I HATED for 5 years. I dropped right down to minimum wage to go into a job I hoped I'd like, and it was worth every penny I lost. I actually enjoy going to work and no longer think about booking holidays every other day just to escape! Money isn't everything. Although it may cost me one of my 75s but my sanity and health had to come first.
Dawn is offline   Reply With Quote