Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 24th February 2012, 16:08   #1
92 squadron
Drink 92 SQUADRON BEER

Jaguar X Type 2.2 SE Diesel estate Mem No789

Exclamation You learn something everyday

I recently reported a car that looked abandoned on the road outside my house. It had been there for a week and had a blown out tyre so these are the corresponding emails -----
From Community Police officer-

"Thanks for the report about the Red Nissan. It has been reported to us and I have notified ***** **** District Council enforcement officer. PNC shows a V23 has been submitted but unfortunately as it is taxed it can be parked on the road. **DC have the permissions to remove any untaxed vehicle from the highway.
Regards
I then replied-
Thanks for the reply. I have checked the vehicle on the MID web site. This checks if a vehicle is registered on the DVLA data base and is showing as "not recorded as being insured". Surely this is more of a reason for the vehicle to be removed from the highway?

And the Reply-
This only applies if it is being driven. The MIB isn’t definitive and at the moment it is unproved that it doesn’t have insurance. The vehicle is stationary and we would only have authorisation to remove it if it was seen being driven. As it has a V23 (scrap) submitted and isn’t in a dangerous condition (windows smashed, on bricks etc) then the council will not remove it until it is still taxed. We don’t remove abandoned vehicles and only have stolen ones recovered on the Owners approval (they claim back on the insurance, same as in a Road traffic Collision)
I appreciate your frustration and the only thing I have been able to do is attempt to contact the owner, which I am awaiting a reply.Regards

The strange thing about this is that you can legally park your vehicle on the public highway as long as it is taxed. No mention of MOT!
You learn something everyday. The car is still there!!!!
Regards

92 squadron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th February 2012, 17:34   #2
Unclefista
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 CDT

A car must be insured to be anywhere "publicly accessible", even if it's on private land, if it's accessible to the public it must be insured.
What I think the council are saying is that because the driver isn't there to prove he has insurance, they can't rely on the database to be infallible.
That's how I read it anyway

http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5331/6...77671f80_n.jpg
Unclefista is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th February 2012, 00:37   #3
92 squadron
Drink 92 SQUADRON BEER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unclefista View Post
A car must be insured to be anywhere "publicly accessible", even if it's on private land, if it's accessible to the public it must be insured.
What I think the council are saying is that because the driver isn't there to prove he has insurance, they can't rely on the database to be infallible.
That's how I read it anyway
These messages were from the local police force! They say a car CAN be on a public highway without insurance as long as it is not mobile and has a currant tax disc.
Old 25th February 2012, 01:10   #4
Dragrad
This is my second home

None * DROWNED

Thanked 1,664 Times in 1,081 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 92 squadron View Post
These messages were from the local police force! They say a car CAN be on a public highway without insurance as long as it is not mobile and has a currant tax disc.
Insurance is only required if the vehicle is, mobile, being driven. After that any accident is the responsibilty of the driver's vehicle hitting it.

If the owner of the vehicle with no insurance has a static vehicle in a legally parked position, he is not liable..... However the local council may have their own bye-laws with regards to vehicle parking......

Further....With regards to the insurance aspect, it is primarily up to the owner to prove that the vehicle cannot be driven......

Andrew
Ich Dien
Problem solving is... lateral thinking

SEARCH FIRST ...ASK LATER...

Last edited by Dragrad; 25th February 2012 at 01:12..
Dragrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th February 2012, 01:29   #5
Unclefista
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 CDT

I've always understood it to be the way I said, sorry if I've tried to misinform

I'd like to see it in black and white somewhere before I tried it though knowing my luck

An acquaintance of mine received a summons for having a donor car on the road waiting for the scrap man that wasn't insured, it was only by going to court and arguing it wasn't a vehicle (no engine, wheels or suspension) that he wasn't fined.
It was a few years ago now though.

What happens if the handbrake fails on an uninsured car and it hits another ?

http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5331/6...77671f80_n.jpg

Last edited by Unclefista; 25th February 2012 at 01:32..
Unclefista is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th February 2012, 09:08   #6
deeks
Posted a thing or two

MG ZT 2.0 DIESEL

i used to leave my old saxo parked out on the road when i took it off the road for about 6 months while i rebuilt it, and are very nosey neighbour over the road constantly phoned council/police and all they do is come out and say weve had a call about a VEHICLE obstructing the highway,

but as we can see it is not as it is parked up safely, sorry to bother you sir but we have to come out when we are contacted, in the end i would just ignore the door,.

the car was taxed but no insurance or mot
deeks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th February 2012, 09:20   #7
HarryM1BYT
This is my second home

75 Contemporary SE Mk II 2004 Man. Sal. CDTi 135ps, FBH on red diesel, WinCE6 DD

Thanked 2,061 Times in 1,586 Posts

To be on a public road, a vehicle has to be taxed, insured and (except in certain circumstances) MOT'ed.

I think the point the CPO was trying to make was that despite the above need to be insured, the MIB system database was not sufficiently reliable as to be certain there was no insurance on the car, there is also the possibility that the car, whilst insured was not actually specified on a policy. As there was some doubt about this, the safe option is to do nothing, at least until the tax expired.

How To's and items I offer for free, or just to cover the cost of my expenses...

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...40#post1764540

Fix a poor handbrake; DIY ABS diagnostic unit; Loan of the spanner needed to change the CDT belts; free OBD diagnostics +MAF; Correct Bosch MAF cheap; DVB-T install in an ex-hi-line system; DD install with a HK amp; FBH servicing.

I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
HarryM1BYT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th February 2012, 13:04   #8
92 squadron
Drink 92 SQUADRON BEER

Default You learn something everyday

All very interesting. I am sure that if you get a PC who wants to make a case out of it he will as I am sure that there would be something in the DPP archives somewhere that there is a case to answer.
Thanks for the comments
Regards
Old 25th February 2012, 13:09   #9
alanT
Banned

Rover 75

So how did you get the insurance details from the MID database without ticking the box that confirms you are the owner of the vehicle on which you are conducting a search, which obviously you are not?
alanT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th February 2012, 13:14   #10
92 squadron
Drink 92 SQUADRON BEER

Quote:
Originally Posted by alant View Post
so how did you get the insurance details from the mid database without ticking the box that confirms you are the owner of the vehicle on which you are conducting a search, which obviously you are not?
shhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!