Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 15th January 2020, 19:45   #1
Scimdaz
Regular poster

Rover 75 Tourer

Default R75 TDi Voltage Regulators: Where do you buy triple jointed 18 month old mechanics?

Rover 75, 2002 diesel.

After swapping the (according to the engraved date) 14 yr old flat 096 battery for a fully charged 100 an "emergency" meant that I took the car out in the dark before I had had a chance to put my (ok, "find my...") multimeter on the charging system. At least I know that it isn't charging since 10 miles of headlights put the car into "limp home" mode. Which it did, praise be to whatever deity looks after Rovers - the last 1/2 mile by coasting down a hill that I live, conveniently, halfway down.

I've now read up on alternator problems, voltage regulators, 2 and 3 pin connectors and watched youtube videos of how easy they are to change. Looked into the 2.0TDi engine bay - whatever happened to the concept of space? You could dance a jig around the 2.8v6 at the front of my Scimitar (except for changing 1 of the 6 spark plugs that is). Changing the alternator on the cologne - childs play. But on the 75 - well I can see it! Is there a "knack" to getting to the regulator or do I just accept that I won't have skin on my knuckles for a month?
Scimdaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th January 2020, 23:17   #2
zaph
Avid contributor

Rover 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scimdaz View Post
Rover 75, 2002 diesel.

After swapping the (according to the engraved date) 14 yr old flat 096 battery for a fully charged 100 an "emergency" meant that I took the car out in the dark before I had had a chance to put my (ok, "find my...") multimeter on the charging system. At least I know that it isn't charging since 10 miles of headlights put the car into "limp home" mode. Which it did, praise be to whatever deity looks after Rovers - the last 1/2 mile by coasting down a hill that I live, conveniently, halfway down.

I've now read up on alternator problems, voltage regulators, 2 and 3 pin connectors and watched youtube videos of how easy they are to change. Looked into the 2.0TDi engine bay - whatever happened to the concept of space? You could dance a jig around the 2.8v6 at the front of my Scimitar (except for changing 1 of the 6 spark plugs that is). Changing the alternator on the cologne - childs play. But on the 75 - well I can see it! Is there a "knack" to getting to the regulator or do I just accept that I won't have skin on my knuckles for a month?
The good news is, it really is an easy job. Take off the engine cover to get more room. Then move the dipstick tube out of the way, for better access to alternator output cable.

13mm to remove cable, plug is push down locking wire and pull. Then you take out the two bolts, one either side, that hold on the plastic back cover. Can't remember which socket, it will be on here somewhere.

Then three bolts hold on the regulator. Piece of p**s.

The bad news, I doubt it will work. My experience is you need to change the slip rings as well and if the windings have been knackered by an oil spill? Then you need a new alternator

Still it is a cheap fix, even cheaper if you just change the bushes. So you might as well try it.
zaph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th January 2020, 00:07   #3
Scimdaz
Regular poster

Rover 75 Tourer

Nothing ventured nothing gained - thanks for the encouragement Zaph. (Still think it looks mighty cramped in there compared to the good old days - 18 year old car, joint youngest I've ever owned LOL)
Old 16th January 2020, 17:51   #4
zaph
Avid contributor

Rover 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scimdaz View Post
Nothing ventured nothing gained - thanks for the encouragement Zaph. (Still think it looks mighty cramped in there compared to the good old days - 18 year old car, joint youngest I've ever owned LOL)
Check the earth by clamping a jumper from the neg terminal to the offside engine mount. A bad earth by the gearbox caused me allot of bother. It might not be alternator if you're lucky.
zaph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th January 2020, 16:24   #5
Scimdaz
Regular poster

Rover 75 Tourer

Thanks for the suggestion Zaph. Not helped in this case sadly. 13.05v on the battery, off the car. 11.95v at tickover and all but the same at 2000rpm. 11.80v with the headlights on. Fuse 36 in the internal fusebox looked ok but swapped anyway. No change. Think I'll accept that it is the alternator. I'll order new brushes for a couple of quid - pray for me folks.