Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 12th May 2016, 22:22   #1
Graham1961
Moderator / RS East Scotland

Rover 75 1.8 Conn Se saloon

Default Brake pedal 'pulsing' at slow speeds.

Hi All.

Need a wee bit advice here....my 75 saloon 1.8 has just developed a wee braking issue.

At slow to moderate speeds and you brake gently there is a kind of 'pulsing' feel through the brake pedal, the brakes work fine and i cannot see any signs of fluid leaks (brake fluid is clean) and the discs appear to be in good order.

At first i thought perhaps warped discs, but there is no vibrations felt through the wheel and there is no ABS warning light coming on.

Any advice as the MOT is due next month.

Thanks for any help in advance.
Old 12th May 2016, 22:57   #2
marinabrian

MG ZT

Thanked 10,837 Times in 5,718 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRAHAM1961 View Post
Hi All.

Need a wee bit advice here....my 75 saloon 1.8 has just developed a wee braking issue.

At slow to moderate speeds and you brake gently there is a kind of 'pulsing' feel through the brake pedal, the brakes work fine and i cannot see any signs of fluid leaks (brake fluid is clean) and the discs appear to be in good order.

At first i thought perhaps warped discs, but there is no vibrations felt through the wheel and there is no ABS warning light coming on.

Any advice as the MOT is due next month.

Thanks for any help in advance.
Graham, this is likely to be a plausibility issue, where the magnetic flux of the rear wheel bearings is interrupted by rust formation where the stub axle passes through the brake backplate.

99.9% of times a clean up in that area is all that is required, however strange results were noted recently when a car was fitted with different size tyres on the front and back

T4 will point you in the right direction though

Brian
marinabrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2016, 07:44   #3
murphyv310
This is my second home

Hyundai i10 998cc

Thanked 2,298 Times in 1,349 Posts

Hi.
I'm with Brian on this, COA developed the same problem after driving at slow speed on a really bad road. There was rust from the rear backplates that had clogged up between the sensor and bearing. A good clean up resolved the problem for some time but it come back a few months later, so the same was done again.
I believe the new owner has the problem again so It looks like a new back plate is in order.
It won't fail the MOT as the light doesn't come on and the rollers don't rotate fast enough to bring the effect on.
Old 13th May 2016, 08:23   #4
wullie480
This is my second home

Thanked 1,022 Times in 786 Posts

I'm with Brian & Trevor, I've had it on the wife's zt a few times rear sensor or bearings magnetic pick up become clogged\blocked with metallic particles.
A quick clean up solves it till the next time
Old 13th May 2016, 12:49   #5
Avulon
This is my second home

1.8t Tourer

Thanked 1,148 Times in 916 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by marinabrian View Post
r strange results were noted recently when a car was fitted with different size tyres on the front and back

T4 will point you in the right direction though

Brian
About time I replaced those front tyres then, Only thing is I was expecting to be replacing them December/January - But they steadfastly refuse to wear out at the previous rate. So now I have worn 45 profiles on the front - and barely scrubbed in 50 profiles on the back. Pulsing comes and goes but mostly not at all at the moment, but still get an occasionally sudden drop and increase in braking force when coming to a halt.

T4 didn't show a problem earlier in the year - but that was static not rolling.

Where?:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tanelorn
Mods/Retrofits:

PCV vortex 'filter'; bluetooth; inline thermostat; reversing sensors; plenum spyhole ; headlamp washers ; Diy mp3 player replacing CD multichanger; FBH with remote; Headlamp washers; black/chrome front grille, rear blind; Xenon projectors
To do:
puddle lights; 2 Din cd/nav to fit; boot release button
Avulon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2016, 19:36   #6
Leafie
Regular poster

MG

This can also happen if you don't travel/use the brakes much.

This might not be the answer many would offer up but it worked for me. Get yourself out of the way of traffic and brake aggressively from a good speed. Do it 3-4 times. I'm not sure, but I'm guessing contamination of the disc surface occurs from little use/light braking.
Leafie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2016, 20:30   #7
Alex30013k
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Saloon 2.0 CDTi Conn Se

My mum moaned about her zt the other day saying that the brake peddle judders when she breaks, went out and had a look all disks rusty and uneven, took it for a thrashing, few 70 down to 0 hard stops and soon sorted them, #
She has started to drive like miss daisy as she is getting older.
Alex30013k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2016, 20:53   #8
Leafie
Regular poster

MG

Yep. Simple solutions fix it 90% of the time!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex30013k View Post
My mum moaned about her zt the other day saying that the brake peddle judders when she breaks, went out and had a look all disks rusty and uneven, took it for a thrashing, few 70 down to 0 hard stops and soon sorted them, #
She has started to drive like miss daisy as she is getting older.
Leafie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2016, 23:22   #9
Ravinder
This is my second home

Rover 75 saloon x2, Rover 75 Tourer x2, Rover 220 Coupe Turbo

Thanked 2,852 Times in 1,718 Posts

It's worth trying a few hard stamps on the pedal Graham from a higher speed. Won't do any harm. Try some prolong braking. Gently use tye accelerator at the same time. And a few hard braking from higher speeds on a quiet road somewhere, even until the ABS kicks in. See if that helps.
Ravinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th May 2016, 16:20   #10
lesron
Avid contributor

rover 75 saloon and tourer

Smile

Had similar problem but thanks to you all a quick strip down at the rear hub and low and behold the back plate is rusting away gave it a good clean out , and removed rust around bearing face ( drivers side ) greased the face tnen did the same on passanger side, back plate was in good condition but cleaned up bearing face , all works as it should
lesron is offline   Reply With Quote