Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 20th October 2017, 21:52   #81
BathRover
Regular poster

Rover 75 Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stag>75 View Post
Have a look at my recent thread,
Cheers. Out of interest, how much did the mechanic charge? Seems very tempting at this stage
BathRover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th October 2017, 09:42   #82
BathRover
Regular poster

Rover 75 Saloon

I'm at wits' end now, can't get it to budge at all.

I've tried heating it, cooling it, hitting it with a hammer, wedging a hammer in and using the spring force, dropping the weight of the car on the stud and all of the above combined and it simply refuses to move.

Any final ideas before I get the angle grinder and drill out?
Or is there anyone in the Oxfordshire area with a bit more expertise?
BathRover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th October 2017, 09:53   #83
EastPete
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 CDTi Classic saloon, MGB GT, Skoda Yeti

Try a good strong bearing puller, if you can get your hands on one - these usually shift the taper joint on the inner subframe/arm joint.
Pete
EastPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th October 2017, 10:48   #84
Arctic
Give to Learn

Freelander 2

Thanked 6,407 Times in 3,874 Posts

Have you tried plus gas from the top of the sub frame ? letting it soak down the spindle, refit nut then use a 2.5 lb lump hammer, also can you make any metal wedges to force under the arm and sub frame then hammer those in, I am sure you will get it sorted out by the end of the day.

ad altiora tendo.

Check out our Nano meet dates
http://www.midlandsnanomeets.co.uk/

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/index.php?thepage=howto

" You do the work , we supply the expertise "
Arctic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th October 2017, 11:32   #85
ryszard
Gets stuck in

Moonstone diesel,X351 Jaguar and now MG ZT 260

Hi,I know what you are going through and you have my sympathy, it was probably this time a year ago I spent over a couple of hours each day for over a week trying to get that ball joint to pop out.I could not work more than a few hours each day due to the cold and rain lying underneath on the concrete.I tried everything even hacksawing part of the arm offf for better leverage which resulted in no going back,I too used all the options,dropping the car off the jack,heat,crowbar,lump hammer,separator but it would not budge,also tried drilling it but found access to it restricted.I had no choice but to go out each day and keep at it,then one day after the usual upside down hammering it just popped out,I was so amazed i just lay there under the car for several minutes unable to believe it had finally surrendered! All I can say after my experience is keep at it,in all my years I've never had what seemed like an easy job turn into a nightmare.Good luck,if you were nearer I would pop over and give you a hand.Let us know of the result.Regards Ry...
ryszard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th October 2017, 16:13   #86
roverbarmy
This is my second home

Roverless + 1.7D Sportage

Thanked 2,021 Times in 1,449 Posts

Jack it up as high as you can to get a good swing at it.
Old 29th November 2017, 19:47   #87
T120

Rover 75 Tourer

Default Stuck Ball Joint

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastPete View Post
Try a good strong bearing puller, if you can get your hands on one - these usually shift the taper joint on the inner subframe/arm joint.
Pete
I struggled with most of the suggested techniques for the best part of three days with the MOT retest time running out. A suggestion in an earlier thread showed a type of Bearing Separator which had always worked for him.

I found a cheep Chinese one for ~£18 (it might break and I did not have time) or a BERGEN Tools Bearing Separator & Assembly Kit, 6108 which I believe is American (A/F spanners needed) at £44. It must work and not break in order to save me the £50 retest so I bought the Bergan one.

Yes it worked! Managing to waggle the parts between the arm and the subframe was very difficult and I almost concluded that it was slightly to thick and could not be fitted. The Thrust Bolt could not lie in a central position (about 5-10mm of centre) but it could be offset. It survived perfectly.

Considering the time I had lost and the MOT retest it was worth £44. It will work next time.
However!!! It would have saved the day except for ????? - removing and refitting the bush!!! Hopefully the rubber may be softer and capable of sliding by hand when a new bush arrives tomorrow. Alas retest time expired.
For the stuck ball joint, you had it right Pete.

Last edited by T120; 29th November 2017 at 19:53..
T120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th November 2017, 22:56   #88
Mike24
Loves to post

Rover 75 CDTI Auto Saloon Connoisseur SE

This is a link to how I did mine: https://the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/s...d.php?t=259434
It worked very well. I don't think the images are available, but you may be able to work out what I did from the description alone.
Mike24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th November 2017, 09:34   #89
EastPete
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 CDTi Classic saloon, MGB GT, Skoda Yeti

Quote:
Originally Posted by T120 View Post
I struggled with most of the suggested techniques for the best part of three days with the MOT retest time running out. A suggestion in an earlier thread showed a type of Bearing Separator which had always worked for him.

I found a cheep Chinese one for ~£18 (it might break and I did not have time) or a BERGEN Tools Bearing Separator & Assembly Kit, 6108 which I believe is American (A/F spanners needed) at £44. It must work and not break in order to save me the £50 retest so I bought the Bergan one.

Yes it worked! Managing to waggle the parts between the arm and the subframe was very difficult and I almost concluded that it was slightly to thick and could not be fitted. The Thrust Bolt could not lie in a central position (about 5-10mm of centre) but it could be offset. It survived perfectly.

Considering the time I had lost and the MOT retest it was worth £44. It will work next time.
However!!! It would have saved the day except for ????? - removing and refitting the bush!!! Hopefully the rubber may be softer and capable of sliding by hand when a new bush arrives tomorrow. Alas retest time expired.
For the stuck ball joint, you had it right Pete.
If you have removed the arm, the bearing puller can be used to remove the bush, holding the arm in a vice. To help the new bush onto the arm, clean up the arm, and use some silicone grease or KY jelly to help the new bush slide on to the arm. Some after-market arms are a bit too thick for the new bushes, and need a bit of gentle filing down to get the new bush to fit.

Pete
EastPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th June 2018, 11:10   #90
BX51 2.0 V6 Tourer
Avid contributor

Rover 75 Tourer

Full Mapco kit fitted in 2014 - see earlier up this thread. Premium price paid. 4 years and 40,000 miles later and they are shot. The OE ones did 52,000 miles. I am not too impressed with that. I can purchase some more MAPCO replacements at £230 or some cheap ones at £96

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FOR-ROVER...UAAOSwLjhax3J3

Anyone any experience of the cheap ones or should I go MAPCO again?
BX51 2.0 V6 Tourer is offline   Reply With Quote