Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 & ZT Gallery
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 28th August 2012, 11:15   #81
Jim Jamieson
This is my second home

Rover less !

I'm now in the final stage of my makeover with the missus's diesel, the interior is looking like new. It's amazing just how dirty the panels and seats were when they were removed.
I,ve bitten the bullet and ordered new O/E self tappers for the brake cooling ducts under the front panel, I know they're expensive at .48p each plus vat and delivery but I also needed new rubber compressive nuts for the air inlet duct which attaches onto the slam panel.
One major thing I almost forgot was new brake fluid. I didn't have enough to do this job at the time and it was only when going through my notes I came accross this so if the weather keeps up I may manage this later today.

I will also have to do a check on the bulbs as my bulb failure light is on permanently and all bulbs appear to be OK but after a "search" I see this is quite a common thing to happen. The only new bulbs I fitted during my makeover were to the front indicators as the yellow paint was starting to peel off but I will check out the rear clusters first as they are the easiest to access.

So hopefully later this week or possibly Monday it will be off to the garage for an aircon re-gass and MOT. I'm also going to ask if they can do a T4 session on the old girl at the same time, that is if they still have their T4 being an ex MG Rover garage.

I will post some photos of the finished car soon.

JYJ
Jim Jamieson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st September 2012, 19:08   #82
fencer75
Avid contributor

R75 Cdt Contemporary se Tourer

Hi Jim,
Am a newbie,just to let you know, what an inspiring read so far, wish you the best of luck for the MOT, and, do hope you find time to complete the Princess, in the early 70,s, taught my then girlfriend to drive, using her father's Princess, lovely car....and girlfriend! In those days, I drove a Hillman Avenger Estate, far too big for her......(my excuse).
Anyway, thanks again for sharing.

Keith
fencer75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd September 2012, 21:41   #83
Jim Jamieson
This is my second home

Rover less !

Thanks Keith
I had an Avenger many years back, a K reg in dark blue. I remember the headling was shot so I covered it in white wooly stuff.

Here are some pics I promised ;

Before and after with the carpet removal and power washing.

I have done this with numerous cars over the years but this was certainly the most difficult to remove with all the modern electrics and of course the centre console to remove. It took me around three hours to remove but a bit more than that refitting everything but it was worth it.

Here's some shots of the finished inside.

Not bad for 118k on the clock but the old mats could probably do with replacing, but at least they still keep most of the dirt off the carpets.

Jumping back a bit, I fitted one of "Arctic's" mods to the handbrake but me being me I've painted almost everything that was bare metal.

While the carpet was out the car was subjected to some very torrential rain storms and remained bone dry so hopefully the water ingress was only the rear light seals.

When refitting the seats I found it best to refit the rear lower seat first. This was not fitting properly after a previous removal and I found that the frame was distorted so after a carefull measurement I found that it should be around 11 inches between the two arrrows as shown.

When refitting the back rest of the rear this must be clicked right down into the position as shown, otherwise it will not lock into position.

I had to use a hammer to knock the seat right down into position. On my V6 which does not have the quick release catch but the pull strings I have been unable to lock the rear rest back into position after releasing the pull strings. In doing this work on the diesel I have now found out why so the V6 rear seat will be getting the "treatment" soon.

So finally I really have now almost finished the refurb on the diesel and have replaced the brake fluid and given it an illegal run on the road just to make sure everything is "tickety boo" and the only thing I can fault is a rattle on the exhaust.
But hey! just as I was ready for MOT the battery failed completely. It was just over two years old and had a three year warranty so today I visited the company I purchased it from and showed my receipt.
Without any hesistation they replaced the battery with a brand new one.

Now that's what I call good service so well done "Abbotsinch Tyre & Exhaust St Andrews St. Kilmarnock.
All going well and if they can do it tomorrow The diesel will be off for MOT.

JYJ

Last edited by Jim Jamieson; 16th January 2018 at 14:12..
Old 3rd September 2012, 21:57   #84
Jim Jamieson
This is my second home

Rover less !

On top of my work on the missus's diesel I've also had to get a few things seen to myself recently. It's amazing we spend as much time fettling our cars but things go wrong with our own body parts and we also need looking after. It's nothing too serious "I hope" but I know the old joints at least are not wot they used to be.

So last weekend we had a visitor from Malta staying with us so we spent a few days up North visiting Inverary, Dunoon. Fort William then back home via Glencoe Killin and Callendar.
The weather could have been better but as our friend has been in temperatures of no lower than 30 degrees for the last three months even the rain was welcome.

Here are acouple of shots of the V6, this one at "Neptune's Staircase" a series of locks coming in from Loch Linnhe and forming into the Caledonian Canal then up through Loch Ness home of the famous "beastie"

This one was taken at the bottom of Glencoe.

Last edited by Jim Jamieson; 16th January 2018 at 14:13..
Old 11th September 2012, 23:16   #85
Jim Jamieson
This is my second home

Rover less !

Since geting the missus's diesel suspension work finished and subsequent MOT I've now got it taxed (online) but as I'm still waiting on the tax disc (hopefully tommorrow) the missus refuses to drive it as in her profession it would cause serious problems if she were to be stopped, anyway I'm happy to take the chance and I have to say I'm more than surprised just how quick the diesel is compared to the V6.
It changes gear very smoothly and its accelaration is IMO faster than the V6, ok it is just slightly noisier at low speed but all in all I'm impressed.
Since getting my V6 I really haven't driven the missus's car much and with the aircon also charged it's much cooler, not that we need it much this summer.

One thing I thought I'd mention, regards the front brake dust covers.
As I'm still waiting on the ones coming in from China I mentioned this to the MOT garage. The receptionist checked with the mechanic and came back and said it's no problem as both are missing (dust covers) but if only one was missing it would be a fail, strange I thought but as these items are now getting rather rusty possible a warning when carrying out pre MOT checks, if one is so rusty then remove both of them !

JYJ
Wonder if I will ever get my new dust covers
Old 12th September 2012, 12:16   #86
mamasboy
RS South East

Ford fester... blah....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Jamieson View Post
Since geting the missus's diesel suspension work finished and subsequent MOT I've now got it taxed (online) but as I'm still waiting on the tax disc (hopefully tommorrow) the missus refuses to drive it as in her profession it would cause serious problems if she were to be stopped, anyway I'm happy to take the chance and I have to say I'm more than surprised just how quick the diesel is compared to the V6.
It changes gear very smoothly and its accelaration is IMO faster than the V6, ok it is just slightly noisier at low speed but all in all I'm impressed.
Since getting my V6 I really haven't driven the missus's car much and with the aircon also charged it's much cooler, not that we need it much this summer.

One thing I thought I'd mention, regards the front brake dust covers.
As I'm still waiting on the ones coming in from China I mentioned this to the MOT garage. The receptionist checked with the mechanic and came back and said it's no problem as both are missing (dust covers) but if only one was missing it would be a fail, strange I thought but as these items are now getting rather rusty possible a warning when carrying out pre MOT checks, if one is so rusty then remove both of them !

JYJ
Wonder if I will ever get my new dust covers
So long as the database says its taxed then it's good to use on the public highway! The bit of paper is pretty much not necessary in the windscreen any more.
Old 12th September 2012, 22:41   #87
Jim Jamieson
This is my second home

Rover less !

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamasboy View Post
So long as the database says its taxed then it's good to use on the public highway! The bit of paper is pretty much not necessary in the windscreen any more.
Not quite true I'm afraid, my daughter in law is a serving officer on Strathclyde's finest and she says it is up to the individual officer whether he would want to bother with the paper work basically and would probably only proceed if there were other issues at the time, but it is a failure to display offence.

However the disc arrived this morning and tonight we paid a visit to see Dad and she drove her beloved 75 for the first time in 4 months. She is delighted with the work I've done and says it feels like new.

Now the worrying bit !
The missus has been on about getting another caravan, we had one almost 20 years back and towed it with the SD1 Vitesse and I have to say I enjoyed getting away for a break.
What worries me is, I'm getting older and the traffic is now so busy on the roads and the driving standard is falling. I don't know if I want that hassle but anyway she's got me looking at vans as well now.

I would be interested to hear the views of other caravanners using the 75 diesel automatic which if we do decide would be one we would use as it would be the most economical.

JYJ
Old 15th September 2012, 12:25   #88
mamasboy
RS South East

Ford fester... blah....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Jamieson View Post
Not quite true I'm afraid, my daughter in law is a serving officer on Strathclyde's finest and she says it is up to the individual officer whether he would want to bother with the paper work basically and would probably only proceed if there were other issues at the time, but it is a failure to display offence.

However the disc arrived this morning and tonight we paid a visit to see Dad and she drove her beloved 75 for the first time in 4 months. She is delighted with the work I've done and says it feels like new.

Now the worrying bit !
The missus has been on about getting another caravan, we had one almost 20 years back and towed it with the SD1 Vitesse and I have to say I enjoyed getting away for a break.
What worries me is, I'm getting older and the traffic is now so busy on the roads and the driving standard is falling. I don't know if I want that hassle but anyway she's got me looking at vans as well now.

I would be interested to hear the views of other caravanners using the 75 diesel automatic which if we do decide would be one we would use as it would be the most economical.

JYJ
You are quite right Jim, I stand correctedhttp://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring...le/DG_10021514

but again as you say it'd be unlikely to ever be looked into unless another motoring offence was taking place. Mad really, with ANPR cameras common-place why the need to bother? No need to display certification of valid MOT!
Old 19th January 2013, 21:39   #89
cardaft
Avid contributor

Rover 75 Saloon

What a great thread, you have certainly put in the work with your pair of 75s. They are stunning. I really like your preventive maintenance measures.
cardaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th January 2013, 12:13   #90
Jim Jamieson
This is my second home

Rover less !

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardaft View Post
What a great thread, you have certainly put in the work with your pair of 75s. They are stunning. I really like your preventive maintenance measures.
Thank you so much and glad you enjoyed reading through all of it, also did you look in on my other little job on
http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...d.php?t=111878

JYJ