Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 4th April 2016, 19:50   #71
Salad-Dodger
Gets stuck in

MG ZT-T 190

Sorry Ched. I don't agree. take it apart and have a look. You probably have a good o'l blown head gasket. To make a "knackered" desision without having a look would be a bit rash in my view. And like I said, find a cylinder head and do it. have a look on the DMGR site at the price of a liner even. Pennies. Steve
Salad-Dodger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th April 2016, 20:30   #72
Ched
I really should get out more.......

MG ZT V8, MGZT 135 derv ,MG TF 135

Ok , but does the other head gasket need to be replaced or just leave it alone, I also will need to replace the belts etc , and do I need new head bolts or can these be re used.
Ched is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th April 2016, 21:04   #73
Salad-Dodger
Gets stuck in

MG ZT-T 190

I think that if its overheated enough to cause a gasket to go it would be a good idea to do them both. I'f even one of them has warped then both will need to be scimmed to keep it all the same compression ratio. You could buy a couple of heads from a trader on here.
The bolt question is a good one. Some will change for new (they are stretch bolts) and some will say its possible to use for a second time.
The belts would need to be changed if they haven't been done. They are a (I think) six years or 90K miles. You will need a new coolant pump.
I realise you have done a lot of groundwork already on this engine, but its really a good idea to know where the problem is and what caused it.
A lack of coolant is more than a probabillity and the cause of it is important.
It may have come out of the pump seal until there was not enough to do the job, then over heating to the point where a gasket blows and coolant consumption goes wild. A hose may collapse at that point where there's only air in the system anyway due to the pump just scavaging.
To be realistic, the worst thing that may have happend would be a split liner. This had crossed my mind when my gasket blew but it was just a blown gasket. One of my heads was slightly warped but I had a spare so I just fitted it.

The engine will be running a bit rough at the moment I would think. That coolant must be going somewhere before it comes out of the exhaust. Put some new plugs in and start it up (with coolant in it). Listen to it. Its probably on 5 cylinders. Just run it up to temperature and stop it while it is on 5cylinders. Go for a cup of tea for 20 mins to give the coolant time to pass the gasket, then remove the plugs (keep in order) I'm pretty sure one of them will be wet with coolant.
Good luck with it. I hope you have "just a head gasket job" Steve

I left one out! Check the inlet manifold gasket. They have coolant passing through them at the mating faces with the heads. The gaskets often go soft and pass coolant to the outer inlet ports.

Last edited by Salad-Dodger; 4th April 2016 at 21:20.. Reason: left something out!
Salad-Dodger is offline   Reply With Quote