Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 6th May 2016, 10:30   #71
aguy
I really should get out more.......

Rover 75 Connoisseur SE 2.5 V6

Quote:
Originally Posted by macafee2 View Post
if you only judge people by their spelling or grammer are you being fair, yes i may well be using the wrong fare so my spelling is poor, you judge me by that? Really?
I would have thought judging somone by the way they set out their stall would be better. Are they kind, helpful, trustworth, faithful etc.
I would prefer somone with bad spelling and diction that is helpful, kind, generous etc over someone that is mean but with excellent diction and spelling

As for spell checkers, being dyslexic can mean one still cannot get the correct word, and on this pc, the spell checker does not work.

macafee2
You are of course right. We cannot, or certainly should not 'judge' anyone on their abilities.

However this is far deeper than 'judging' someone I believe.

Surely, the only way to preserve English in a way that it can be taught and used for generations to come, is to keep the language as 'pure' as possible. Therefore all drifting from the norm like substituting words or incorrect grammar should be discouraged.
Old 6th May 2016, 13:42   #72
tomgraham
Regular poster

Rover 75 Club SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by aguy View Post
Surely, the only way to preserve English in a way that it can be taught and used for generations to come, is to keep the language as 'pure' as possible. Therefore all drifting from the norm like substituting words or incorrect grammar should be discouraged.
Sorry but I beg to differ. This is just the reverse of how language develops. In fact language is a constantly changing thing. The only places you find "pure" versions are in communities that have become isolated, and their patois is usually full of archaic expressions.

Gesendet von meinem Z520 mit Tapatalk
BKS-RO-75 originally registered as BP03XRV
tomgraham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th May 2016, 17:20   #73
aguy
I really should get out more.......

Rover 75 Connoisseur SE 2.5 V6

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomgraham View Post
Sorry but I beg to differ. This is just the reverse of how language develops. In fact language is a constantly changing thing. The only places you find "pure" versions are in communities that have become isolated, and their patois is usually full of archaic expressions.

I say 'pure' in the context of keeping a language within a framework. eg. the Concise Oxford English dictionary.

As you rightly say, languages change frequently but we are not talking of a 'developing' language here.

I am suggesting changes in the English Language these days are not made by accident or fashion, but that they are approved and included in the Concise Oxford English dictionary and are recognised as such. I don't pretend to know anything about the legalities.

Of course words used in the wrong context or bad grammar could not be included as I see it. For example the word 'of' does not and never could mean the same as 'have' and Bought could not ever have the same meaning as 'Brought' and it is not possible to 'lend' something from someone.
Old 6th May 2016, 18:31   #74
wraymond
This is my second home

75 Auto 2.5 SE

Thanked 1,680 Times in 1,014 Posts

[QUOTE=aguy;2282405]I say 'pure' in the context of keeping a language within a framework. eg. the Concise Oxford English dictionary.

As you rightly say, languages change frequently but we are not talking of a 'developing' language here.

I am suggesting changes in the English Language these days are not made by accident or fashion, but that they are approved and included in the Concise Oxford English dictionary and are recognised as such. I don't pretend to know anything about the legalities.

QUOTE]

Would have thought words becoming 'fashionable' and, as a result used generally in everyday language, are gradually assimilated into it. There are many examples of 'text speak' and abbreviations that have been approved and included in dictionaries including the OED. How long will it be for the latest, Brexit, to be included? That's how the language does in fact develop.

Ever tried reading Magna Carta? Or Doomsday Book? How about Georgian Law books? Poets make new words up every day when Lexicon gets boringly repetitious and a line doesn't metre. Shakespeare is full of it. That's the beauty of English, it is adaptable and reflects the world wide influences that make it up. Long may it continue.
Old 6th May 2016, 18:47   #75
Heddy
This is my second home

None

Thanked 1,161 Times in 924 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Borg Warner View Post
Brummie????

The finest Queen's English is written and spoken only in THE Black Country:

True conversation heard between my two black country friends Ian and Tina:

Ian: Tay, I wont me tay!
Tina: Yow Cor av ya tay, it tay tay time!
Two builders in a cafe last time we were there...."Yow gorrenny sugar in yown?" "I ay no, er ay gid me enny"
Heddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th May 2016, 19:57   #76
tomgraham
Regular poster

Rover 75 Club SE

A dictionary, whether the OED or any other, is a collection of word meanings, and to a lesser extent, their usage. It's not a guide to grammar or hard and fast rules about the language. As far as I'm aware we don't have such a defining organ for English, which is why we discuss these things so much. German does have such an organ, the Duden; but even there, Germany is a federal state and at least one state (Bremen) has not implemented the most recent reforms.

BKS-RO-75 originally registered as BP03XRV

Last edited by tomgraham; 6th May 2016 at 20:16..
tomgraham is offline   Reply With Quote