Notices

Old 24th January 2024, 15:55   #71
planenut
Regional Secretary

Rover 1.8T Tourer

Thanked 2,036 Times in 1,264 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYING BANANA View Post
Thanks Fred, hope to able to make a breakfast meet in a few months time.
That's a long way on that frame Bob, when you have recovered.
planenut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th January 2024, 11:30   #72
FLYING BANANA
Moderator/Club Shop

MG ZT 1.8t+. No.3 of 4 in Sunspot Yellow & Ford Fiesta in Black.

Thanked 15,645 Times in 6,806 Posts
Cool

I’m on the radio tomorrow morning at 07.40. On Radio Cornwall.
A chap called James phoned me today and I have been invited to the show to talk about my comments re the NHS.

Getting on with the Air Boot once I figured out how it fitted. A bit of a pain when fitting it yourself, yesterday it was fitted for me. When I go next I’m going to say that they need to get the wearer to show the physio how they do it. I cannot see two of the loops to feed the Velcro through. Had to ask my neighbour Gerry to help me.

At least I’m walking ok with it fitted, and I got my sock on as well. Be glad when I can go outside, just need to walk out in the fresh air. I enjoyed my trip out yesterday. Ok so it was only a trip to the hospital and home.

234,821. Next tour starts on the 5/07/24.

onen hag oll
FLYING BANANA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th January 2024, 12:27   #73
xsport
Posted a thing or two

rover 75 club se

Good to hear it bob. Hurry up ! ! Banana will think you have divorced her ..
xsport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th January 2024, 13:24   #74
FLYING BANANA
Moderator/Club Shop

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by xsport View Post
Good to hear it bob. Hurry up ! ! Banana will think you have divorced her ..
Oh! How I have missed driving her. I get so jealous when my mate starts her up and takes her for a run.

onen hag oll
Old 26th January 2024, 10:13   #75
FLYING BANANA
Moderator/Club Shop

Cool

Radio interview went well but I was guided to what I could actually talk about. They just really wanted me to talk about the Minor Injuries Units throughout Cornwall including the new one, Bodmin, where I was treated.
The radio presenter, James Churchfield, asked me what I was looking forward to doing once I was given the all clear and my answer was, “driving my Yellow MG ZT aka The Flying Banana”. That got a laugh.

Getting used to the AirBoot. Took a bit of time to adapt to it yesterday but getting on ok today. Managed a few steps without the MG Z(immer) frame. But keeping it close by. Managed to fold the washing up ok. And I have cleaned down the work surfaces in the kitchen.

Now two funny instances that have happened that I haven’t told you about. The first incident I didn’t find funny initially but laughed about it afterwards.
On Tuesday I heated up in the Air fryer the last of a chicken casserole that I had prepared the day before. Sitting on the bar stool I took out of the fryer once it was ready, but instead of sitting closer I thought I was close enough. Alas I was not.

The casserole dish hit the floor and I was covered in a fountain of chicken casserole. It covered the cupboards, work services and floor. Down my trousers and all over my slipper and some on the plaster cast.
I tried cleaning up but couldn’t clean the floor so I swallowed my pride and phoned my neighbour Karen.
She laughed, and laughed. I was not amused. But she came over and cleared up for me. She told me to lighten up, “You would have laughed, and don’t say you wouldn’t. I know your sense of humour.” So very true.

She gave me a big hug and we both laughed. Bless her, she stayed and helped me make an alternative meal. Burgers, beans and chips. Then she was gone, giggling all the way.

Incident no.2 on Wednesday.
Knowing it was my hospital visit then a strip down wash was needed to be done including washing my hair. I have a system. Should I need the loo before then that issue is dealt with. I move over to where my clean clothes are and I sort out clean t shirt, pants, trousers and sock, I was still in plaster so only one sock wanted. I place the clean clothes on the work unit in the kitchen area. (The downstairs area is open plan, so there is no door between the kitchen and lounge).

Around to the sink. Wash my hair, then strip off for my was. ( get it done as early as possible in case I get any early visitors).
The I get dressed. But no sock, strange I was sure I had picked up a sock. So I shuffled back and put another sock on. As I had put my PJ’s in the washing machine I thought I might have put the sock in as well. Highly unlikely but who knows.

Went to the hospital. Plaster off then X-rayed, saw the doctor and finally into the physiotherapist to have my AirBoot fitted. Then home with Allen and Val. They stayed long enough to make me a cuppa, then they was gone. So after I drank the tea, took the mug to the sink. Prepared my evening meal. On the way back to my chair I thought I best make a detour to the loo for a No.2.

So sitting down I just happened to look in my pants and there was my lost sock. I hadn’t felt that there wasn’t anything strange in my pants. Oh! How I laughed.

So you see even now I shouldn’t be allowed out on my own.

Hope it has brightened up your day.

onen hag oll
Old 27th January 2024, 05:02   #76
Gate Keeper
This is my second home

None

Thanked 7,017 Times in 4,160 Posts

Good morning Bob

Yes all very witty and fascinating.

You could submit your story to the Readers Digest, go global and get paid for it, imagine that
Gate Keeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th January 2024, 19:22   #77
FLYING BANANA
Moderator/Club Shop

Cool

Overdone it yesterday, and suffering for it today. Had visitors yesterday and I started walking about without my frame. Thought it looked good but last night I had a pain in my hip, then my knee joined in the act. Both of the left side.
I don’t like taking painkillers but last night and today they have been taken.

Struggled to get going this morning but once the boot was on, it was back on the frame. When Jackie came from HomeFirst, so I told her about the pain. If it is still with me tomorrow 5hen she will get a district nurse to come in and see me.
Karen came over to vacuum and then steam clean my floor. I sat out of the way in the dining room, I wasn’t going to say anything about the pain but Jackie, from HomeFirst, mentioned it to Karen. Basically she asked Karen if it was possible if Karen would be able to check up on me in the evening.
And now I’m under strict instructions not to overdo it. Made to sit in the raised armchair and get my leg up. And painkillers was given.

Karen also changed the sheets, pillowcases and quilt cover on the bed. I got up to help her load the whirly gig machine up with the washing then I sat back down. Now the washing machine takes about a 100 minutes to go through the various cycles. So you can imagine my surprise when I op-ed my eyes the washing was on the horse, and another cup of hot tea was on the table next to me. I had drifted right off to sleep.

Kgaren had gone home, then came back just as the machine finished and found me out for the count. So she put the washing on the horse and made me a cuppa, and gave me a nudge to wake up.
She left, so I drank my tea. Then I got up and prepared my dinner. Roast chicken, baked pots and a few sprouts.
Once cooked and dinner eaten I washed up. Put my PJ’s on and took the boot off. Leg looks a bit swollen but I have it raised.

Karen has been back, and has looked at my leg. Said it might be an idea to leave the boot off for awhile and maybe have a lie in tomorrow morning. She will be back over at about 10.00 to look at the leg again. So I have to leave the boot off.
Another painkiller to be taken before bed. Think I’ll be under the covers soon.

onen hag oll

Last edited by FLYING BANANA; 27th January 2024 at 19:25.. Reason: Spellin’
Old 27th January 2024, 19:54   #78
Raven Black
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 saloon

Default Leg

Thanks for the update Bob, ups and downs, but you will get there, meanwhile keep on with the updates, good to have your news.
Old 29th January 2024, 15:34   #79
FLYING BANANA
Moderator/Club Shop

Cool

In one breath I’m singing the praises of the NHS, and then the physiotherapist arrives.

Be with between Noon & 1pm. She arrives at 11.20
Asked her to come in via the side gate then into the house via the patio doors. She rang the door bell.
Apparently I need crutches enabling to walk outside and to assist me up and down the stairs. But she hadn’t brought them with her as it was my first appointment and she doesn’t issue crutches on the first meet.
I would say her age was around the mid 20’s and not long out of university. I might be wrong but that was the impression I got.

She got me to walk with, and without, the frame.
Did I have any pain? Yes, in my hip.
That’s due to you walking lop sided.

She then tested the strength in my knees, legs and thighs. My knees are weak.
I explained that I have arthritis in both knees. You need to get more strength in your knees with the exercises I have given you.
I asked about the stairs. You will need the crutches to help with the stairs.

So she going to get a colleague to drop a pair of crutches off this week for me, and show me how to use them. They will phone me to let me know when they are coming. Will I be in? “Well, I cannot go out can I”, was my answer.

And my next visit from her will be on 20th February as she is on holiday from this Thursday.
And she left.

Both my neighbours Kelsey and Karen are going to show/help me how to get up and down the stairs as both have broken their ankles in the past. And neither needed crutches to get up and down the stairs.
Allen is going to take me out next time he goes shopping as I can hold onto a shopping trolley for support.
Marion is going to give me a lift down to Waterside to that I can have a walk by the river, will take my frame for that.

Sorted out Bananas car insurance, got a decent deal with Admiral. £130 cheaper than the renewal quote from Lancaster.

onen hag oll
Old 1st February 2024, 13:29   #80
FLYING BANANA
Moderator/Club Shop

Cool

The crutches arrived from Liskeard yesterday, delivered by another physiotherapist who happened to be in the area. She showed me how to use the crutches correctly and adjusted them accordingly. I seemed to get on ok with them and practiced around the house. With that she left.

Marion then arrived with a pair of crutches, I’m pretty sure she mugs people for bits for me seeing as she has already delivered another Zimmer frame.
Anyway we had a chat and then she too was gone. Karen popped in after dinner to collect a parcel and I told her about the visit I had from Alex, the lady from Liskeard.

Anyway today a senior nurse arrives from Home First, she had come out solely to empty my loo. Which she did. She then asked me why I hadn’t been shown how to get up and down the stairs. I explained the physiotherapist from Liskeard, Fiona, had said that I would be shown, but first I needed to get some strength back into my knees.

She said that she would be firing a rocket down to Liskeard to find out why I hadn’t been shown how to go up and down in a safe manner.
Well, it seems that rocket landed and has caused a huge upheaval. So Alex phoned me and asked why Fiona hadn’t shown me the safe way for me to transverse the stairs. I just repeated what Fiona had said.
It now seems that Alex is coming back to not only show me about safety on the stairs but to assist me in and out of the house. When? She had to clear it with her boss but it might be tomorrow.

I cannot wait to do both. Tomorrow is 7 weeks since my accident and I haven’t been out since, only out to go to the hospital 4 times.
I’m confident to be able to walk outside and fairly confident to get up the stairs, coming down is a different matter, but I can always come down on my behind.

onen hag oll