Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 21st September 2017, 00:04   #7231
rayrahman
Regular poster

MG ZT

Hey

changed the PRT and pipes on the ZT last weekend! not one to usually undertake work myself but I must say what a pig of a job it was!!!

this is the thermostat taken off which was choked up with gunge and visibly damaged possibly due to previous overheating and the ruminant's of a heap of K Seal or similar from previous owners.

Also had a little bit of a clean up afterwards on the engine

rayrahman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st September 2017, 00:57   #7232
rayrahman
Regular poster

MG ZT

It was clay barred and hand polished to an inch of its life by me! Simoniz Carnauba liquid wax (I swear by it)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
rayrahman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st September 2017, 14:08   #7233
vacuman
Gets stuck in

MG ZT-T

What I need is a clay bar that makes tiny stone (grit) chips disappear. My ZT's leading edges have, upon very close inspection, what looks like dandruff. But it's just the white primer showing where the blue and lacquer have taken a direct hit.

I've been slowing touching them in with an artist's brush cut down to three hairs but sometimes it's hard to de-grease the chip and the tiny blob of paint doesn't adhere.

Heyho, I will keep trying. At least it doesn't show once you are stood at a respectable distance.
vacuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st September 2017, 14:56   #7234
clf
This is my second home

MG ZT CDTi

Thanked 2,657 Times in 1,973 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by vacuman View Post
What I need is a clay bar that makes tiny stone (grit) chips disappear. My ZT's leading edges have, upon very close inspection, what looks like dandruff. But it's just the white primer showing where the blue and lacquer have taken a direct hit.

I've been slowing touching them in with an artist's brush cut down to three hairs but sometimes it's hard to de-grease the chip and the tiny blob of paint doesn't adhere.

Heyho, I will keep trying. At least it doesn't show once you are stood at a respectable distance.
No it looks fine from here :p

Have you considered rubbing the chips down with the tip of a sanding stone from a dremel type kit? Then using a touch up of primer , colour, then lacquer, flatted lightly and polished smooth? That may work, I haven't tried it, as my bumper has peeled badly in some places so plan to get bumper and bonnet done together.

Sent from my SM-A310F using Tapatalk

It is not gloss primer .............. it is duct tape silver!
clf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st September 2017, 16:46   #7235
vacuman
Gets stuck in

MG ZT-T

Thanks CLF for the suggestion but I would need steady hands and amazing eyesight for that. Most of the chips are the size of a full stop - . - big enough so that you can see the white primer but too small to take the full sand, primer, paint & lacquer approach.

The few scratches and chips that were in that category I've dealt with and mostly have blended in well. Just those tiny white spots that are still annoying me. Not bad enough to respray the panel, or even a section of it.

That's the trouble with cars. Everytime you get something up to a standard, the standard goes higher and the amount of effort and commitment has to rise to match.

And, to cap it all, noticed a new pea-sized parking ding on the front of my O/S/R door that wasn't there before I took my car in for MOT and service. Just half and inch from the door edge so something else I will try not to look at after a good wash and polish.
vacuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st September 2017, 17:21   #7236
keithst24
This is my second home

X Power Grey MGZT 180+ Auto... Bumble & 1.8T Odessey Rover 75 Contemporary SE manual

Thanked 1,801 Times in 1,403 Posts

Fitted 3 x LED 501 bulbs in the interior light cluster to match Rick-stas footwell light upgrade he fitted in Bumble, then I dropped off an engine cover, battery cover and fuse box cover to Kent Hydro dipping Hopefully I will get them back and fitted for the Rattler weekend
Born Monday, 16th June 2003 @ 14:30:35
This vehicle was the 9,196th ZT to run off the production line, out of 18,894
This vehicle was the 576th ZT 180 + to be made out of 828
This vehicle was the 871st ZT in XPower Grey (code: LEF) to be made out of 3,143 XPower Grey ZTs
keithst24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st September 2017, 20:26   #7237
Richard1973
Loves to post

Rover 75 Saloon CDTi

Fitted a replacement FBH bypass hose after mine developed a pinhole leak.
From the way its mounted it seems inevitable that it will chafe through eventually.
Repaired mine by cutting out the offending bit and joining using the plastic straight connector from the narrower end. Have a spare now.
Richard1973 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st September 2017, 20:38   #7238
marinabrian

MG ZT

Thanked 10,837 Times in 5,718 Posts

Slowly getting there

So the replacement arms have been lathered with cavity wax, and the fixing bolts given the coppaslip treatment.

You might note the absence of springs at this point, completely intentional, as I was treating a couple of small corrosion cells where the powder coat had failed, plus it makes fitting the outer bolt much easier with minimal risk of damaging the finish on the arms.

Needless to say, the springs are now fitted, and the new front drop links too, I just need to see if I can get the lad in for test tomorrow, as I have a very busy weekend ahead of me

Brian
Attached Images
File Type: jpg photo 1.jpg (137.9 KB, 91 views)
File Type: jpg photo 2.jpg (130.9 KB, 93 views)
File Type: jpg photo 3.jpg (131.2 KB, 93 views)
marinabrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st September 2017, 20:41   #7239
trikey
Premium Trader

Rover 75

Thanked 14,831 Times in 8,030 Posts

Looking good there Bri, cavity wax is King
Old 21st September 2017, 20:43   #7240
marinabrian

MG ZT

Thanked 10,837 Times in 5,718 Posts

Quote: