Notices

Closed Thread

Old 16th June 2016, 19:01   #701
wraymond
This is my second home

75 Auto 2.5 SE

Thanked 1,680 Times in 1,014 Posts

In other news:

Bt.com web site story about latest poll showing 80% support for leaving was taken down just days before BT chairman emailed staff urging them to vote to remain.

Germany’s largest bank, Deutsche Bank, predicts massive growth after a Leave vote – BT and Remainers stay silent. Deutsche Bank says British stocks will be the best performing in the continent by as much as 5% after Brexit.

Doubters visit www.breitbart.com and search germanys –largest-bank (in breitbart London)

Last edited by wraymond; 16th June 2016 at 19:05..
Old 16th June 2016, 19:19   #702
HarryM1BYT
This is my second home

75 Contemporary SE Mk II 2004 Man. Sal. CDTi 135ps, FBH on red diesel, WinCE6 DD

Thanked 2,061 Times in 1,586 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darcydog View Post
Referendum Campaigning is suspended as a mark of respect.

Can I sugest we do the same for 24 hours.
I assume DD means because of the sad shooting, stabbing and murder of the young Birstall West Yorkshire female MP - Jo Cox, today.

Yes please, can we suspend this discussion for the time being?

How To's and items I offer for free, or just to cover the cost of my expenses...

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...40#post1764540

Fix a poor handbrake; DIY ABS diagnostic unit; Loan of the spanner needed to change the CDT belts; free OBD diagnostics +MAF; Correct Bosch MAF cheap; DVB-T install in an ex-hi-line system; DD install with a HK amp; FBH servicing.

I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
Old 17th June 2016, 06:50   #703
Gate Keeper
This is my second home

4X4

Thanked 7,017 Times in 4,160 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryM1BYT View Post
I assume DD means because of the sad shooting, stabbing and murder of the young Birstall West Yorkshire female MP - Jo Cox, today.

I am in support of your decision Harry to make this request. Are you asking for the thread to be locked?
Old 17th June 2016, 07:46   #704
Simondi
Regional Secretary

MGTF, MG ZS EV Exclusive

Thanked 3,563 Times in 1,857 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darcydog View Post
Referendum Campaigning is suspended as a mark of respect.

Can I sugest we do the same for 24 hours.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryM1BYT View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gate Keeper View Post
I am in support of your decision Harry to make this request. Are you asking for the thread to be locked?
Out of respect to Jo Cox and similar to the campaign I have closed this thread. It will be re opened once campaigning starts again.
( Please and in all seriousness if it's not reopened will someone remind me)
Old 19th June 2016, 16:40   #705
HarryM1BYT
This is my second home

75 Contemporary SE Mk II 2004 Man. Sal. CDTi 135ps, FBH on red diesel, WinCE6 DD

Thanked 2,061 Times in 1,586 Posts
Default Thread is now reopened!

As per subject, this thread is open for postings again.

Thanks Symondi!

How To's and items I offer for free, or just to cover the cost of my expenses...

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...40#post1764540

Fix a poor handbrake; DIY ABS diagnostic unit; Loan of the spanner needed to change the CDT belts; free OBD diagnostics +MAF; Correct Bosch MAF cheap; DVB-T install in an ex-hi-line system; DD install with a HK amp; FBH servicing.

I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
Old 19th June 2016, 16:40   #706
Simondi
Regional Secretary

MGTF, MG ZS EV Exclusive

Thanked 3,563 Times in 1,857 Posts

That's the thread reopened, thanks for the reminder
Old 19th June 2016, 18:28   #707
Polly
Posted a thing or two

MG ZT 260 SE, ZS120, ZR105

Having well known supporters sometimes does more harm than good.
https://www.facebook.com/permalink.p...9&id=902140458

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 19th June 2016, 18:34   #708
wraymond
This is my second home

75 Auto 2.5 SE

Thanked 1,680 Times in 1,014 Posts

There’s been something bugging me about a theme in this campaign that is objectionable, not on here I hasten to add. In any other context it would have raised hackles with an ‘ism’ or ‘ist’ attached to it.

I object to the supposed ‘problem’ of older generations and the assumption that they are a negative element, not progressive and ultimately unreasonably biased or unrepresentative.

It’s not just the ‘ageist’ flavour that is objectionable, it’s the preparedness to accept the view that a lifetime of awareness of the fallibilities and foibles of those that want to rule us is of less worth.

One of the few benefits that come with age and experience, although not exclusively in the olders, is to be able to see through the waffle, while the spirit of traditional values and way of life and the maturity to gently resist the exuberance of the zealots and to see it for what it is, is exactly what is needed to steady the hand on the tiller.

Few on the Leave side believe everything said by people like Farage. Yet he is the most quoted. Even fewer on the Leave side believe anything that Cameron or Osbourne say. They speak in hyperbole, appealing to the cruder click-bait generation, hoping for a knee-jerk reaction.

The Remain side speak in the same hyperbole and extoll the wisdom of 8/10 economists’ opinions formed on the back of a guess, insisting they are ‘independent’ when in fact they all receive grants from organisations or governments that are anything but independent. Tusk, EU grandee, recently complained that “Western political civilisation” is doomed, for instance!

Some of the Leave side loud-mouths, for example Farage’s latest abomination poster showing the queue of hapless desperate immigrants, appeal to the cruder instincts of the ‘lower orders’.

To find the truth or essence of the issues needs a soundness of the mind rather than the body. Neither the loudest mouth, the determinedly deaf ear, nor the blind eye has a place in this.
Old 19th June 2016, 21:12   #709
Gman2
Posted a thing or two

ZTT+ 1.8T, mgf 1.8

I mentioned ages ago that if it were me I'd axe the vote for persons over a certain age as the outcome doesn't affect them - they're not going to be around if it all goes down the toilet either way. Ageism came into the Scottish vote but extended down to 16 year olds on the ticket that it was their future. The sceptics thought that it was more likely that their emotional buttons could be easier pressed for independence and sure enough they did vote the way anticipated. However those with jobs, mortgages and pensions thought differently not surprisingly.

A friend of mine told me that his grandparents asked his kids which way they should vote that I thought was very fair and far sighted (I don't know the outcome) and perhaps more should adopt this approach.

Last edited by Gman2; 19th June 2016 at 21:16..
Old 19th June 2016, 21:53   #710
Polly
Posted a thing or two

MG ZT 260 SE, ZS120, ZR105

So another senior Tory switches sides, and once again it's not because she has been persuaded by the power of the argument, but because she is offended by the material used to convey the argument. Surely if a particular outcome is the best one for the country, it would continue to be the best outcome, regardless of the method used to achieve that outcome.
I can understand why she might want to distance herself from the latest poster, just as Gove has done, but it's not as if anyone who votes leave will have join UKIP.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Closed Thread