Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Social Forums > Technology Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 28th July 2015, 08:52   #61
Supervinnie40
I really should get out more.......

Rover 75 1.8 Club

That's true. They are not without faults. Actually, that words was invented for them I think sometimes. Just look at vista....
but sticking with xp or lower will eventually lead to an outdated computer. In this Internet orientated world you need software that is designed for that and the problems it brings. Xp is not that.
I won't argue that xp is a good os, because it is. But 7 is also very good. If 10 is just as good? I don't know. They often make a **** one before making a brilliant one.

Why stuck with xp? Win 3.11 was left Unupdated much longer. Why stick with specifically xp?

10 might not be the one you need or want, but I would recommend win7.
Old 28th July 2015, 12:21   #62
Phil63
Posted a thing or two

04 75 tourer cdt auto. Two tone grey. X-Power over Tempest. 04 75 V8 Chatsworth Bronze..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supervinnie40 View Post
Why stuck with xp? Win 3.11 was left Unupdated much longer. Why stick with specifically xp?
Angie uses her laptop for singing only. All her backing tracks and playlists are basically all that's on it. It doesn't get connected to the internet at all. Whenever she needs a new song, I download it, and pop it on a stick.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Phil63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th July 2015, 13:19   #63
Vanbursta
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 2.0 V6 Conn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil63 View Post
Angie uses her laptop for singing only. All her backing tracks and playlists are basically all that's on it. It doesn't get connected to the internet at all. Whenever she needs a new song, I download it, and pop it on a stick.
That's my point, it doesn't matter if it's XP or not as long as the PC does what you need, I am unaware of ANY program that cannot be made to run on XP - that would depend on the abilities of the person installing the program. Despite MS pushing the "advantages" of an upgrade to a newer version and their trying to kill XP with no updates, XP STILL has greater market penetration than 8.0 / 8.1. In short XP works and people are beginning to realise that they don't actually need the latest and greatest, it's happening with hardware too, current hardware and hardware from within the last 2-3 years is more than capable of handling anything thrown at it, people are asking themselves if they really need to update and the answer is no, coupled with the fact that that people are now more tech savy, it's becoming very difficult to convince folk that they need a new OS, or to justify a new OS every few years.

The cycle used to be, release new hardware that is easily capable of running the software, upgrade the software so that the hardware isn't good enough, then release new hardware for the new software, repeat ad infinitum and this would just continue year after year. The only reason that new hardwrare or software is needed now, is to add much more "bloat", if you are in any doubt look at a new PC and check out all the crapware manufacturers put on it, remove the rubbish and the hardware generally flies, I don't know of anyone who is using any of the stuff that manufacturers seem to think we need.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supervinnie40 View Post
That's true. They are not without faults. Actually, that words was invented for them I think sometimes. Just look at vista....
but sticking with xp or lower will eventually lead to an outdated computer. In this Internet orientated world you need software that is designed for that and the problems it brings. Xp is not that.
I won't argue that xp is a good os, because it is. But 7 is also very good. If 10 is just as good? I don't know. They often make a **** one before making a brilliant one.

10 might not be the one you need or want, but I would recommend win7.
I agree with your statement that good generally follows bad, but it is my opinion that in this instance, bad (8 and 81) have been followed by marginally better (10) but not as good as current (7).

I am also dismayed to learn that MS will be FORCING updates on users, with private users getting the updates 1st (just in case anything goes wrong) and only when they are certain a patch / update is OK will it then be issued to business users. In other words test it on those that probably won't sue us before giving it to those who definitely will!!

Last edited by Dragrad; 1st August 2015 at 00:58.. Reason: Consecutive posts - Use the edit ;-)
Vanbursta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th July 2015, 13:42   #64
mgfurball

MG ZT

My IT guru put windows 7 on my 3 machines about 3 yrs ago, he has advised to back the computers up completely, then to update them to windows 10, run the recovery discs off for each pc so i have the Win 10 discs, as you only get 12 months to upgrade for free.
which i will do so, but i also have a windows 8.1 machine which tbh i really like, it's fast, easy to navigate, and have i mentioned it is fast
mgfurball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th July 2015, 20:12   #65
cwarchc
Regular poster

MG ZT

Default Windows? whats that

I am currently running
Linux Mint & Ubuntu
Very fast
Very stable

It all depends on what you want to do with your pc?
I like finding open source programs that do what the mainstream ones do

It's a lot easier than it used to be, but if you like "tinkering" under the bonnet?
Then it's great

Oh yes, it's free
cwarchc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th July 2015, 01:48   #66
chipsceola
This is my second home

Jaguar XF 3.0D

Try Windows 10 and don't like it, you can roll back for 30-days - and see #64 MS has now built-in an option to install/ or delay updates for Home Users so not forced guinea pigs as suggested - source BBC News

chipsceola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th July 2015, 15:15   #67
Organiser

ZT-T+180 Auto & ZT-T+1.8T in Trophy Blue, ZT-T CDTI+135 Auto in Ignition Blue, ZT-T+190 in Typhoon,

Anyone had a problem with the new update to Windows 10 not downloading to their pc? My pc running 7 ultimate has failed twice now via windows update to download it?

Tom.
Old 29th July 2015, 16:23   #68
varleyjr
Loves to post

MG ZT

I've not but talking to customers today who have been trying to do it over large networks some seem to be getting slow downloads. It's to be expected on the day it's released. Try to plug directly to your router over ethernet that might help
varleyjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th July 2015, 16:52   #69
Supervinnie40

Rover 75 1.8 Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanbursta View Post
I agree with your statement that good generally follows bad, but it is my opinion that in this instance, bad (8 and 81) have been followed by marginally better (10) but not as good as current (7).

I am also dismayed to learn that MS will be FORCING updates on users, with private users getting the updates 1st (just in case anything goes wrong) and only when they are certain a patch / update is OK will it then be issued to business users. In other words test it on those that probably won't sue us before giving it to those who definitely will!!
I have to agree that this is a bit of a turn off.... But I'm still gonna give it a go. Fingers crossed.
Old 29th July 2015, 17:29   #70
itchyfeet
Loves to post

MG ZT+ CDTi

I'm still sat here waiting for the update to be ready. Cleared all work items from systems and ready to go. But microsoft no turned up yet,, lazy ******s
itchyfeet is offline   Reply With Quote