Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 17th July 2009, 13:00   #51
leon burger

2006 Rover 75 2.5 V6

Hi Kaizer, Thank you for the great improved illuminium thermostat i bought from you, even the people at MG Rover was impressed. I have not installed it as yet as the garage lost my keys and now needs to wait for keys from germany/England. my luck hey
leon burger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th July 2009, 13:08   #52
leon burger

2006 Rover 75 2.5 V6

The people at MG Rover tells me that i can not just make a key to fit or even transplant a ignition system from another rover into my car as it will not start. Is it true?
leon burger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th July 2009, 15:49   #53
kaiser
This is my second home

75 Tourer 2.5 Auto, 1.8T, 75V8ZT

Well, they better be impressed! I guess you are not, though. It would be interesting to know what it costs to get the new keys. What they managed to do for you, I managed to do by myself, or one of my cats, the wife, the kids or whoever else I can blame.
I am both key and clueless!!! Well, I have my spare left, but it is unsettling.
And yes, the key needs to be matched to the vehicle. SIGH
And these comments are in the wrong thread.
MODERATOR!
kaiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th July 2009, 21:20   #54
TurboZed
Loves to post

75 saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaiser View Post
I just want to give you an up-date. Everything is 100% on track. I consider the engine cured.
As for the poster with anxiety for the turbo. You might have a bit of the stuff lining the passage ways in hot areas, I simply don't know, but you will tend to get the stuff deposited, where you have low flow rates and high heat. That would typically mean narrow passages close to the combustion process.
And that is exactly what you want!
I can assure you, it was with a lot of circumspection that I added the stuff to my car, but as you say. Nothing to loose, everything to gain.
You will be surprised positively, I hope. As long as your head gasket is not the main culprit, I guess you will cure it. But let us know.
And, yes, I believe you can leave K-seal in the system, but phone the manufacturers and let us know!
Once in the system, get a nice clear road and give the car about 30 to 40 miles of running. That did it for me.

Good luck.
I'll let you know how I get on with it.
This will open your eyes! Where I live is a coal fired powersation and a guy from there came down to my local motorfactors after previously buying 5 bottles of k-seal. Said he used it to fix a water cooling turbine housing that was leaking water and was going to have to be sent to France where it was made to have a load of plastic welding done to it to fix it (why the hell they can't do it here I'll never know!) Saved at least a week of it not working plus £5000!

TurboZed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th July 2009, 20:42   #55
woodiess

69 MGB GT & 03 MG TF135

Kaiser 18 April09 - Q We have got to most of them (HGF Problems).
One of the ones we have on the dissecting table at the moment, is the loose liners syndrome, which can prove fatal.
It is caused by minute movements of the liner, which, if not arrested, become bigger and bigger, until a small leak becomes a big one. Water loss, over heat, head gasket. The familiar story.
Sodium silicate, go look the stuff up, do a bit of research, and see how it works, that should be the minimum requirement before you start giving advice, I would think ......

Absolutely Kaiser, hence my interest in the "2 substances in discussion" ?

The Liners' are subject to 'HUGE' trauma, in a 'FRAGILE' Casing Block ..... and, with minute movement, becoming GREATER ....... the ISSUE re-invents itself!!!

I am enthralled with the 'Loctite' with Liner Location ... maybe .... but, it is a very flexible and durable 'thread lock' and Interference Fit Lock (Compression Sealant)

I use 634? (will confirm Grade later) in the watch and clock Industry and my everyday issues including '76 Beetle Beach Bug .... heat cures ... but heat also alows softening, to loosen thread lock .... still 'gummy' on certain applications.

Sodium Silicate (?? Glass) - will the inevitable moving Liners be 'arrested' in their
seats ? (I hav still not studied the substance)

The Liners have a compression fit to the Block, with a recommended base / sealing substance ?

If the Block material or, Liner Base Mount Material is allowing 'aged movement', then
Kaiser is correct with his thinking. Maybe Liner Height spec 'over block face' needs to be increased, thus increasing compression ?

To refresh, within 300kms of purchasing our MG TF 135 1.8 @ 70th Kms, I noticed Mayo in the Tank.
I have just had the full MLS job with Liners, Rings, Bearing Shells,Water Pump and full service kit!
This is the first time the motor has been opened with 3 owners.

SAR21 later, I am VERY interested in subject.

Whatever, let's discuss this.

Stewart - Cape Town.

Technology ......... is how you apply it ?
woodiess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th July 2009, 10:45   #56
TurboZed
Loves to post

75 saloon

One week later and all is well. No coolant loss, and the oil is clearing. If it still ok by the end of next week I'll put fresh oil in and a new filter.

Old 27th July 2009, 12:52   #57
kaiser
This is my second home

Talking

So what did you then do?
And just a hint, if the oil is contaminated with water, it will clear rather quickly, but if there is other stuff in it, I would not take a chance, and I would replace that and the oil filter.
I am mainly thinking of the turbo here, having saved the engine just to blow the turbo would be a shame.!
Well, good luck, it looks like it was your liners in the end, but keep an eye on it, always. Check water and oil filler cap daily, water when cold, cap when hot!
Old 31st July 2009, 05:22   #58
kaiser
This is my second home

Just the regular health check.
Car is fine, no water loss, no mayo, full power. Great!
Old 31st July 2009, 06:05   #59
Gman2
Posted a thing or two

ZTT+ 1.8T, mgf 1.8

Good news K!
Gman2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th August 2009, 22:54   #60
TurboZed
Loves to post

75 saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaiser View Post
So what did you then do?
And just a hint, if the oil is contaminated with water, it will clear rather quickly, but if there is other stuff in it, I would not take a chance, and I would replace that and the oil filter.
I am mainly thinking of the turbo here, having saved the engine just to blow the turbo would be a shame.!
Well, good luck, it looks like it was your liners in the end, but keep an eye on it, always. Check water and oil filler cap daily, water when cold, cap when hot!
When you took the filler cap for the oil off there was alot of steam coming out as there was a fair amount of coolant in there. As you say not good for the turbo so I changed it. All I have done to the coolant side is add K-seal. Still not lost a drop of coolant, but since I changed the oil the top end is a bit tapperty sometimes for some reason.... Might put some valve lifter in it and see if that helps.
Cheers
Jim