Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 27th May 2014, 14:44   #511
trebor
This is my second home

Rover 75 CDTi Connoisseur SE & MG ZT Saloon 190

Thanked 1,877 Times in 885 Posts

you have a pm stubie

Robs Car Gallery

Coven near Wolverhampton WV9

2000 Cowley Built Rover 75 2.0 V6 Club SE/ Atlantic Blue/ Sandstone/Walnut (daily driver)
2003 Land Rover Freelander 1 TD4 HSE Helsinki Blue/Black Leather (swmbo daily driver)
trebor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 30th May 2014, 10:46   #512
Jakg
This is my second home

N/A

I've got bullet powerfolds on my car, but sometimes when I press the button the passenger side on doesn't fold out - and it doesn't make any noise, either.

If I give it a push theres very little resistance, but once I've pushed it fully out - it's fine.

The same happens when it's folded out sometimes.

Does this sound like worm gear failure? If so, how much is a new set of gears (if they are available)?

Any ideas how long the job takes?

Last edited by Jakg; 30th May 2014 at 11:13..
Jakg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th May 2014, 17:12   #513
trebor
This is my second home

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakg View Post
I've got bullet powerfolds on my car, but sometimes when I press the button the passenger side on doesn't fold out - and it doesn't make any noise, either.

If I give it a push theres very little resistance, but once I've pushed it fully out - it's fine.

The same happens when it's folded out sometimes.

Does this sound like worm gear failure? If so, how much is a new set of gears (if they are available)?

Any ideas how long the job takes?
Sounds more like a wiring issue, sometimes the small plug that fits into the mirror works loose or if retro fitted the wrong plug my have been used in which case it can work loose

I would check that your plug into the mirror is fully home first and see if thats any better, you can do this by either removing the door card or prising back the trim on the door carefully to get at the plug ( see my how to if you are not sure how to do it )

Gears are still available if it comes to it send me a pm

Robs Car Gallery

2000 Cowley Built Rover 75 2.0 V6 Club SE/ Atlantic Blue/ Sandstone/Walnut (daily driver)
2003 Land Rover Freelander 1 TD4 HSE Helsinki Blue/Black Leather (swmbo daily driver)
Old 3rd June 2014, 19:58   #514
Jakg
This is my second home

N/A

Gears arrived today and I've tried fitting them, it all went back together ok (inc the motor lid), but it's not folding any more...

I can hear the motor whirring, and the mirror appears to go up slightly but nothing happens.

Also, I couldn't work out how to remove the third gear (the one on the motor) - I know it's not required to change it but my mirrrors are dated 2002 so I assumed after 12 years they could do with a break.

I'll take it apart over the weekend and try again but I assume I've done something wrong...
Jakg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th June 2014, 14:00   #515
pob06
Gets stuck in

Starlight Silver ZT+ manual diesel saloon, Black X-Type Sport SE Diesel estate, manual.

Out of interest.. as some kind soul knocked seven kinds of out of my drivers doormirror while parked in a car park, apart from the two parts of the bullet mirror now being seperated when I try and fold the door mirror it closes then makes a horrible continuous knocking noise and doesnt stop ie electric doesnt stop like it does on the passenger side.

Can I assume that the motor gears have been stripped?.

TA.

Nice to see the old place still going - havent been around much recentl yI'm afraid.

Membership number 1044 -- Apparently in 1044 Henry III, Holy Roman Emporer got bored and invaded Hungary.
pob06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th June 2014, 07:05   #516
trebor
This is my second home

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakg View Post
Gears arrived today and I've tried fitting them, it all went back together ok (inc the motor lid), but it's not folding any more...

I can hear the motor whirring, and the mirror appears to go up slightly but nothing happens.

Also, I couldn't work out how to remove the third gear (the one on the motor) - I know it's not required to change it but my mirrrors are dated 2002 so I assumed after 12 years they could do with a break.

I'll take it apart over the weekend and try again but I assume I've done something wrong...
If it was folding before but not now then you need to start over and make sure all the components are fitted correctly, if it is lifting slightly then the gears are possibly jammed.

If the motor is "whirring" then the third gear on the motor shaft is working and obviously the wiring is ok

That gear meshes then with the worm gear which is where your problem could be

Did you follow the how to and make sure the lid tightened down with the screws against the spring fairly easily and you did not force it down

Next thing to check if you have followed the how to is the sideways movement of the worm gear where it fits into the lid as if this is too much then the casing is worn and it will not mesh properly and you need a shim making which Bernard on the 75 enthusiasts will do so contact him on there

Re changing the third gear, i dont know anyone who has done this but it is doable with care, you will need a vice and tap the old one off the shaft.

Its not straightforward so be careful, if it doesn't need changing then my advice is leave it well alone

Quote:
Originally Posted by pob06 View Post
Out of interest.. as some kind soul knocked seven kinds of out of my drivers doormirror while parked in a car park, apart from the two parts of the bullet mirror now being seperated when I try and fold the door mirror it closes then makes a horrible continuous knocking noise and doesnt stop ie electric doesnt stop like it does on the passenger side.

Can I assume that the motor gears have been stripped?.

TA.

Nice to see the old place still going - havent been around much recentl yI'm afraid.
You need to take the motor out of the mirror and test it on the battery or a 12v supply if still making a noise sounds like you need new gears, pm me if you need some

Robs Car Gallery

Old 5th July 2014, 13:52   #517
iamtheboy
Regular poster

Rover 75 Saloon (LHD)

Hi,
Would like to order 4 sets, can you send details on how to order and pay

regards
iamtheboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th July 2014, 23:37   #518
trebor
This is my second home

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamtheboy View Post
Hi,
Would like to order 4 sets, can you send details on how to order and pay

regards
You have a pm

Robs Car Gallery

Old 9th July 2014, 11:36   #519
Scouse1958
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 2.5 Dealer Launch

Like to order 2 sets how much are they please

Scouse1958 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th July 2014, 21:55   #520
trebor
This is my second home

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scouse1958 View Post
Like to order 2 sets how much are they please

You have a pm

Robs Car Gallery