Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 17th March 2016, 19:23   #31
MGMarc
Avid contributor

MG ZT-T

Sorry but I only notice tailgating when people hover under the speed limit, unnecessarily slow for bends or hog lane 2 and 3 on the motorway

In Europe people let you pass without issue, in the UK people get annoyed and a chip on their shoulder that the car behind wants to go faster or has a more important place to be

I don't condone tailgating as it is unsafe but understand why it happens

Also I always drive to my GPS speed as car Speedos are normally 10% under reading

Last edited by MGMarc; 17th March 2016 at 19:35..
MGMarc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th March 2016, 19:46   #32
bl52krz
This is my second home

Rover 75 cdt club + Rover 2.5 KV6 Conni SE

Thanked 2,262 Times in 1,729 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevestrat View Post
Saw a good one earlier today. Pulled up behind a learner (in a pukka driving school car) in a queue at traffic lights on a descending gradient. The learner held the car on the foot brake and kept releasing and applying it creeping nearer the car in front. What kind of instructor was sitting in the passenger seat allowing the learner to do that?
Where I live, the roads are used as a test area for all kinds of idiots teaching people to supposedly learn to drive, driving schools, one off teachers?? and anything in between. I have watched them being allowed to reverse up gutters nearly hitting garden walls. Parallel parking, what a joke, three point turns. A pulling out from the gutter after standing still.....in front of vehicles coming up behind them.Travelling T over 30 mph in the 20 mph area that cover all our area, with supposed qualified teachers in well known learner company cars.Actually had a word with one well known company learner teacher about stopping on double yellow lines, on a corner, with engine off, while talking and laughing with the person ( young dolly bird). I asked him if he knew he was breaking the law with regards to 'parking' on double yellow lines. He then told me that because he was teaching someone to learn to drive, ' it is not an offence' was his answer. I said'then you do not mind if I take a photograph of your car on the double yellow lines then, because I have already got one of you from around ten minutes ago from over in my friends front garden'. While standing behind taking photo, they shot off up the road. ' I can do what I like' is prevalent now in this society. Rant over.'
Old 17th March 2016, 20:01   #33
Amsca2
Gets stuck in

MG ZT-T cdti

Quote:
Originally Posted by MGMarc View Post
Sorry but I only notice tailgating when people hover under the speed limit, unnecessarily slow for bends or hog lane 2 and 3 on the motorway

In Europe people let you pass without issue, in the UK people get annoyed and a chip on their shoulder that the car behind wants to go faster or has a more important place to be

I don't condone tailgating as it is unsafe but understand why it happens

Also I always drive to my GPS speed as car Speedos are normally 10% under reading
Completely agree however there are a few nasty people that just do it out of stupidity. I was taught to drive to the speed limit not hover under it on my motorbike lessons as its looked for by examiners.
Amsca2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th March 2016, 20:38   #34
MGMarc
Avid contributor

MG ZT-T

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amsca2 View Post
Completely agree however there are a few nasty people that just do it out of stupidity. I was taught to drive to the speed limit not hover under it on my motorbike lessons as its looked for by examiners.
It was during my motorcycle training that I was also taught to drive at the speed limit and get there swiftly but safely

The idea is that you aren't making yourself a hazard from people following and getting frustrated
MGMarc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th March 2016, 21:09   #35
KRISTLEE
I really should get out more.......

None at the moment.

I honestly don't get these rush rush rush tailgaters.

I always stick to the speed limit and leave enough space between myself and the car in front but there's always someone who needs to go faster.

It's all simple maths really...for example, speed limit is 60mph but they always have to go 70mph so in 1 hour all they have gained is a measly 10 extra miles up the road...or they could just leave the house 10 minutes earlier and travel at the speed limit which will still get them 70 miles away.

Lee.

DONE: HAD A CRAZY IDEA THAT I HAD TO GET RID OF MY MG ZTT DUE TO NOT HAVING A DRIVE AND HAVING TO PARK ON A BUSY STREET WITH A VIEW TO GETTING ANOTHER ONE AT A LATER DATE WHEN I HAVE A DRIVE.

ENDED UP REALISING IT REALLY ISN'T PRACTICAL NOT HAVING A CAR TO GET AROUND AND I NOW OWN A VW EOS 3.2 V6 INDIVIDUAL (1 OF 20 REMAINING IN THE UK WITH THAT ENGINE AND TRIM COMBO) EVEN THOUGH I STILL LIVE ON A BUSY ROAD WITHOUT A DRIVE
KRISTLEE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th March 2016, 21:11   #36
steve1975
Banned

rover 75 saloon

my mate has a sticker on his rear bumper saying 'BACK OFF OR I SLAM ON!'

steve1975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th March 2016, 21:47   #37
Avulon
This is my second home

1.8t Tourer

Thanked 1,148 Times in 916 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amsca2 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by MGMarc View Post
It was during my motorcycle training that I was also taught to drive at the speed limit and get there swiftly but safely

The idea is that you aren't making yourself a hazard from people following and getting frustrated
In driver/rider training we are taught to be capable of driving just shy of the speed limit in ideal conditions - on a test you need to demonstrate that capability. It's not necessary to always drive that speed. As with many things we are taught whilst learners they are to prove a minimum level of competence on a test - nothing more. It's unfortunate that we still don't have part of the driving riding test at NSL on A roads and dual carriageway in traffic with auto failure for sustained following to close. At least then they'd be some hope.

Where?:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tanelorn
Mods/Retrofits:

PCV vortex 'filter'; bluetooth; inline thermostat; reversing sensors; plenum spyhole ; headlamp washers ; Diy mp3 player replacing CD multichanger; FBH with remote; Headlamp washers; black/chrome front grille, rear blind; Xenon projectors
To do:
puddle lights; 2 Din cd/nav to fit; boot release button
Avulon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th March 2016, 22:20   #38
Amsca2
Gets stuck in

MG ZT-T cdti

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avulon View Post
In driver/rider training we are taught to be capable of driving just shy of the speed limit in ideal conditions - on a test you need to demonstrate that capability. It's not necessary to always drive that speed. As with many things we are taught whilst learners they are to prove a minimum level of competence on a test - nothing more. It's unfortunate that we still don't have part of the driving riding test at NSL on A roads and dual carriageway in traffic with auto failure for sustained following to close. At least then they'd be some hope.
A more thorough test would be better than hazard perception computer games. I'd settle for equal training on using a over taking lane correctly. I was once pulled by the police for weaving in and out of traffic. I challenged the officer that I overtook and moved back in a few times to which I was allowed on my way.
Amsca2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th March 2016, 23:13   #39
Fifer
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Connoisseur SE + 1947 Morris 8

I wish I had kept my other dash-cam as it had the rear camera as well. If anyone rear-ended the car it would be there on video. I'll just have to get another.

Some of the rear window stickers are really funny, but may make some lunatic even more aggressive!

I'd be really upset if my Connie was damaged by one of these tailgaters, but I wouldn't be shedding any tears over them.

Fifer
Fifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th March 2016, 05:21   #40
gary t
Loves to post

rover 75 connoisseur se v6

Default bad drivers

it just a fact of life now in the uk two many bad drivers. its one of the reasons i gave up hgv driving. that and joke - hours and pay. and dont get me started on mini drivers. if they not tailgating or doing there hair,make up, or on the phone or more likely all at same time. o and lets not forget merc.s driven by the mature lady dressed like granddaughters

Last edited by gary t; 18th March 2016 at 05:31..
gary t is offline   Reply With Quote